More reps or weight?

kumar5

So I'm new to bb. I'm gaining weight to reach my ideal weight and I want to bulk up.

The thing is, when I'm working out, do I aim for more reps but with less weight or less reps but with more weight? I'm following a Men's Health challenge program, and even now I'm not doing the recommended 15 reps, I mostly reach 8 reps of 3 sets per exercise and them I'm out.

But as I go along, I'm wondering if I maintain the weight I'm using now and improve lifting more with them OR lift heavier weights but with less reps...

Thanks.

Lol. Yeah, those magazines can be BS but I just need the exercises. I've read around the stickies here and I guess increasing weights would be ok if I want to increase mass.

Just remember, if you're not eating more calories than you expend, it doesn't matter how much heavier you lift, you won't gain mass (and probably little extra strength as well). With running, you'll need to increase calories quite a bit to balance things out if you want to gain any size and/or strength, so keep that in mind.

When I am on the stationary bike at the gym I will get bored and they have a stack of fitness magazines you can read...I am usually floored by some of the stuff in there. Especially the magazines that tell girls to do 50 reps of some stupid exercise with 2 lb. weights.

But, but, don't you want long, lean muscles as a woman?!

When I am on the stationary bike at the gym I will get bored and they have a stack of fitness magazines you can read...I am usually floored by some of the stuff in there. Especially the magazines that tell girls to do 50 reps of some stupid exercise with 2 lb. weights.

Ew muscles are gross, I just want to "tone"

Just remember, if you're not eating more calories than you expend, it doesn't matter how much heavier you lift, you won't gain mass (and probably little extra strength as well).

Hmm I don't really want to debate this but it isn't necessarily true even if it's the easiest way to go.

Ew muscles are gross, I just want to "tone"

LOOL!

I used to follow the workouts in Oxygen religiously but I never gained anything because they tell you to do so much cardio! I just kept getting skinnier and skinnier and going "WTF!!??" Hahaha!

Not to mention to stupid diets they have in there.. The Eat Clean diet and crap. I mean, it's good if you're trying to lose weight, but they never ever have anything in that magazine for women who are trying to gain weight (probably cuz most women dont' want to gain weight!)

I've gained more muscle from eating high carb/high protein and skipping the cardio. I also lift heavier in the 6-8 rep range.

Just remember, if you're not eating more calories than you expend, it doesn't matter how much heavier you lift, you won't gain mass (and probably little extra strength as well).

Hmm I don't really want to debate this but it isn't necessarily true even if it's the easiest way to go.

Oh, Johan, you and your science!

All I know is, I trained REALLY hard for years while undereating (primarily during times when I was running in addition to lifting), and all I did was lose muscle mass and strength. I'm sure there may be some tricky ways to make it work better with timing things optimally, but for the average lifter, if they're running semi-frequently and hitting the weights, they're going to need to eat more in order to get optimal benefit in the way of size and strength gains. I'm not talking truckloads of food more, but if you happen to be currently be eating just enough to maintain bodyweight with hard training, then add in, say, an hour of cardio in addition to your normal routine, it ain't going to be any easier to get bigger and stronger!

Of course, experience does add into the equation as well. A new lifter will gain SOMETHING even if barely eating enough, but if you've been lifting regularly for a few years, it will be completely different.