I'm an idiot - Squat bar position

I've been doing the stronglifts program for 5 and a half months now. During this whole time I've believed I was Squatting using a low bar position.

I started reading Starting Strength today and compared the side image with a frame from a video I took little over a week ago, and noticed my back was in a more upright position. Tonight I was messing about on the rack and moved the bar further down. I noticed the load on my wrists, and a bit of minor discomfort there and on my shoulders....but I think this is natural after reading this (Common Pains using The Low Bar Position section). I was really having to stick my elbows back to make the bar feel like it's sitting rigid.

Can you guys have a look and just confirm that these are high bar squats (I'm 99% sure they are anyway)...

The best bit is, 2 or 3 months in I actually looked at my bar position - god knows where it was before, because I did move it further down.

I'll prob post a couple new vids soon to get some technique advice. In the meantime I'm gonna do what I should've done half a year ago and read Starting Strength.

Is there any reason to prefer one instead of another (if I would choose between the two different back squats). What's the positive vs negative aspects of the two?

The low bar squat will put more emphasis on the posterior chain, this means More hips, less quads, whereas the high bar squat will emphasize the hips & quads more evenly.

If you're into oly style training the high bar squat is preferable since it has greater transfer to the clean and snatch, but if you're after big numbers then the low bar squat is what you want since it allows for greater maximal weight.

Edited by xCx

The high bar squat there's more of a lever and puts more torque on your lower back. Not that I've ever had back pain from doing high bar Squats, but you can use more weight with a low bar position (less distance to travel). I'm a wee bit into the Squat chapter on starting strength now. When my food goes down I'm gonna try messing about. It's getting late though so might have to wait till tomorrow.

Haha, it's nearly been half a year and today I done my first low bar squat!

The low bar squatting looks really uncomfortable . I'm not sure exactly what I do atm, I think it might be different from session to session since I don't pay too much attention. But I think I do more like the high bar squat and it feels better for my back.

The low bar squatting looks really uncomfortable .

Seems it feels uncomfortable at first too, that's the reason why I thought I was doing low bar already. Any time I tried moving it lower I assumed cause it felt so weird that I must already be as low as I can go. From first trying a few hours ago till now, it's already feeling a bit better. I think my back's bruised already though cause when I tried there the right hand side hurt haha. What a girl!

I took a video there but it's really dark, think I'm gonna have to wait till tomorrow when there's daylight coming through the window. Also just tried taking pictures with the self timer, but was causing me to relax in the squatting position so there's no real point.

Funny, I just got Starting Strength last week and I think I've been putting the bar too low. This could have something to do with how I've had so much trouble keeping my knees from sliding forward at the bottom since I'd be leaning further forward than a normal low bar squat. I've been putting it like on the outside of my shoulder blades rather than on top. Oh well, here's to SS

This was after about 10 other sets working on form. It almost looks like I'm trying to push forward to get out the Squat, the bar path definitely curves instead of going straight up. And I dunno if my knees should be that far out. Unsure about back position. I'm keeping my chest up and butt out at the top but seem to lose it a bit at the bottom. It's better than my earlier attempts anyway. Been trying to stay tight throughout.

It's gonna take time and practice to get this right.