Jason is back in fucking business.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

today was pretty easy for everyone. Mostly just getting recruits used to handling a rugby ball.

showed up early and stayed late practicing drop goals. significant improvement since when i first started.

did a lot of 3 up 3 downs and various other passing drills. it was very heavy on ball handling and not much for fitness today. which is fine. it's crucial that our recruits are comfortable with a rugby ball. Everyone did well and learned quick.

huh. this is weird. Did more GVT style stuff today. I'm gonna relax the heavy compound lifts for a few weeks and stick with some 10x10 inspired shenanigans and see if i can't blow up like a mosque in the middle east.

10x10 preacher curls at 40lbs. slow reps, all the way down, all the way up.

10x10 tri pulldowns at 35lbs. again, slow up slow down.

5x10 incline hammer dumbell curls 22.5lbs. had to use a tiny bit of body english the last rep/s of the closing 2 sets

5x10 tri pullovers at 50 lbs. didn't drop it on my head, despite sore achy muscles.

so my arms have never been that dead in the gym, but they feel ok now. we'll see what happens. i want to try to get intimidating looking before rugby starts back up (sept 18)

Also, I'm going to probably fall off the map for a week. Deaf camp starts tomorrow afternoon. I'll try to get some running and plyo's in. maybe even try to learn how to swim!! (big BIG maybe). Anyhow, try not to miss me too much.

So, during the week i threw/kicked a rugby ball for a cumulative couple hours, played an hour of soccer (in 90+ degree heat), ran 2 ladders, ran/walked 3 miles with a new pal and generally sweated a ton.

pretty sure I either recovered mega strong or lost about 10lbs over the week, judging by my double digit rep pullups... we'll find out tomorrow afternoon...

it's really lame (trust me)

it's just helps you pull up when you have the upper body of a 12 year old girl. Kinda like using a resistant band under your knees to help you up, it uses a knee shelf and a counterweight. I'm a bit ashamed to admit it, but I'm going for accuracy and real documentation.

also can use the machine for dips as well (but I can do dips the real way...)

does that make sense?

like this, but a different. same idea though.

http://www.fitbeast.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/7/_/7_3_10.jpg

Oh, man, I miss that machine! I love it--it's great for folks who can't even do one pull-up yet or one full dip. Also, it allows you to do gentle versions of both exercises while coming back from an injury. Thanks for reminding me because I'm going to request they get rid of the extraneous extra cable row in our little gym and put an assist pull up bar machine in its place. Woo-HOO! Merry Christmas to me!

Herc

ha! did you really read through the 14 pages of random rambling of this log?! I;m glad I could help, BUT, if they don't honor your request, just rig up an exercise band to help you through the hardest part of the motion (which is great because it only helps you get started. you still have to muscle yourself up).

pull ups, just toss the band handles over the ends of the bar and put your knees in the loop. do pullups. rig up dips as needed/possible.

oh, right. I just worked out...

rugby practice! body by ginger is back! found out that the team played touch for an hour while i was away, which i totally back.

Tonight, however, we worked. I was almost wheezing! i blame it on the lack of sleep. ~15 hours over 5 days will do that to ya!

anyhow, little jog with some bursting.

then some limbering.

Then lunges and squat jumps.

then buddy carries (x3)and wheelbarrows(x2)

Then someone threw up a challenge. Dudes wanted to race carry! one guy probably ~175 lbs wanted to carry a guy that was maybe 215 while someone else (who ended up being me) carried Sutherland (the guy in the top picture up above. the big guy in the gray shirt/black shorts) ~270. He won. I got about halfway and dropped him on his back and i did a somersault over the top of him. yay agility! boo mishap! no injuries though, so it wasn't bad. thats what I get for aiming for the stars. I missed....

anyhow, back to workout. lined up in groups of 4 (3-1 rest ratio). first person kicked the rugby ball, 2nd person sprinted to it and brings it back, then kicks it for the 3rd person, repeat until everyone has fetched 5 times.

water break.

then a circuit of 5 pushups, 5 leg lifts or crunches, then 5 squat jumps. 4x (i asked how many reps they had in them. i heard 3 and 5. went with 4). then more water and a set of 3up/3down.

the end. I might be captain this fall...If that works out I owe it to the people on this board for motivating me to get my shit together. Even if not, thanks guys and gals.

Yeah, so...given my dedication to the team this summer, setting up and running practices, organizing rugby watching at the bar, etc, I had two board members tell me last night that if I wanted the position it's mine. the former captain had to step down because of his child. (Normally its a 2 year position, but this is an interim position to finish out his term-until the end of the year).

I am about 90% sure I'll take it. I am kinda busy, but would love to do it, and it would be a big step in the right direction career wise. (experience points).

Life is coming together. My life is awesome.

and viva:

http://diacronico.apostos.com/wp-content/files/2008/9/50billWEB.jpg

So, that workout was cut short due to god-awful-ness!

squat 1x10 @ 135, 1x5 @ 225. 1x3 @ 250, 1x4 @ 225 gave up.

overhead. a pair of 25s. didnt do the math. 3x5

barbell row 3x5 2 25's and a pair of 10s

incline press. 3x5 pair of 25's and a pair of 10s.

bah. the week of not enough food and water, and sweating a ton and cardio killed me. 194lbs. fucking metabolism.

BUT, i feel lighter, faster, more explosive and agile. and im more defined, so I guess I'll take it for now.

195.5 today. later in the day than last time. felt much stronger, too

squat. 135 1x10 to start, 1x20 to finish with 225 5x5 and 245 1x3 in between

incline bench 5x5 @ 115

Barbell row 5x5 @ 120 1x15 @ 95

tri pullover 5x5 @ 70 1x15 @ 50

shrugs 3x10 @ 75 1x15 @ 50

lat pulldown 2x10 1x8 @ 115

some curls to stay SWOL!

and a few sets of pullups. 4 sets of 5?

haha. was feeling pretty big today. it was nice.

today was a bit different at BBG.

run to warm up, then straight to the field! no lifting or crab/bear walking shenanigans.

circuits. 5 pushups/5 leglifts/5 bw squats for 5 reps.

fetch drill. kick the ball, next guy runs and gets it, sprints it back and kicks it for the next guy. x5 per person

then a new thing AJ brought.

lay on the ground, head at another persons ankles, looking up. grab their ankles, and do a leg lift. the guy standing just SHOVES your feel down straight, or to a side) and you keep your heels off the ground and get your feet back up asap for a round of 15. x 3

then we all stood in a tight circle and passed the ball. the guy that started the round had to run around the outside of the circle and get back to his position before the ball got there. each successful round, we all took a step back, increasing the diameter. hard. I was definitely sliding for balls to get there in time. only failed once (got there, but knocked it on. )

then we played more fetch, but this time sliding onto the ball, sprinting back to our feet and running it back in.

Then we talked. the end. fun day. really fun day.

I am ridiculously sore from my squats yesterday. it's awesome.