Vegetarian Bodybuilding

Hey everyone, i am not new to the forums i just read more than i actually post which im hoping to change now, i will start by saying i love these forums you have helped me become and stay vegetarian for 2 years now and im still loving it! i have been bodybuilding for atleast 3 years now the first year i was a meat eater so it was easier to gain mass then than it is now but i feel i have got a balance now.

I started off with program by mark rippetoe called starting strength which really helped me when i decided to started bodybuilding i stuck with this for 6 weeks until i felt it was time to add more to it, after several self made workouts and alot of forum scanning came across a workout program on a website called wannabebig 1.1 and i must say when i first started this workout it had be sweating! but as i didnt have all the equipment in my home i replaced a few workouts with some others.

Now i am here and a little confused as of what to do next im not saying that my previous workout did not work becuase it did, i dont have log of my gains (something i really need to start doing) but friends and family really notice my progress alot and its a really good feeling to know im doing well, what i wanted to know is should i change my workout? it feels like i have hit a wall and progress has stopped because you muscle thrive on change right? i dont know if im not lifting heavy enough because the sweat and intensity it not there anymore

My Previous Workout was 4 days a week with 10 mins cardio on the off days and a little of bodyweight on the off days aswell, i have been on this program fot at least 2 months now. I am currently 5,11 and wighing 12 Stones.

Day 1 - Lower Body/Abs

* Front Squat/Back Squat

* Alternating Lunges

* Good Mornings

* Standing Calve Raises

* Planks

* Crunches

Day 2 - Upper Body

* Flat Bench Press/Dumbbell Chest Press

* Standing Dumbbell Shoulder Press

* Dips

* Variation of Standing Biceps Curls

Day 4 - Lower Body

* Deadlifts

* Step Ups

* Seated Calve Raises

* Walk Outs

* Side Planks

Day 5 - Upper Body

* Chin Ups/ Modified Pull Ups

* One Arm Dumbbell Rows

* Push Ups (variations)

* Scaption

* Dumbbell Skull Crushers

* Leg Raises

what i wanted to know is should i change my workout? it feels like i have hit a wall and progress has stopped because you muscle thrive on change right?

Hi Peaceful2150.

My advice would be to pick a program and stick with it. Inconsistency and changing things around as soon as you hit a plateau is a bad way of going about the problem, and it'll only halt further progression. The whole "confuse your muscles" thing is a load of nonsense.. Stress stimulates growth, not confusion. If you're not able to add weight to a given lift anymore you're either not eating enough or not getting enough rest.

How is your diet? How much sleep are you getting, and where are your lifts at?

I know my diet is not the greatest simply because i find it hard to eat so much i eat very healthy but i find it hard to eat 4 times or more a day, i try to get as much protein as a can each meal i currently eat things like Chick Peas, Lentils, Kidney Beans and Tofu the problem is as i said before i find it difficult to stuff myself because when i do i tend to put weight on around my stomach and nowhere else. Right now i barely manage to eat 3 times a day and thats not always consistent :/

I currently lift this

Bench 60 - 65 Kg

Squat 65 Kg

Deadlift 60 Kg

I mention only those because i think those are the main ones you will be looking for?

Oh and i sleep about 6 Hours as my job requires me to be up at 5 but i dont manage to get into bed until 11 or Midnight sometimes.

I know my diet is not the greatest simply because i find it hard to eat so much i eat very healthy but i find it hard to eat 4 times or more a day, i try to get as much protein as a can each meal i currently eat things like Chick Peas, Lentils, Kidney Beans and Tofu the problem is as i said before i find it difficult to stuff myself because when i do i tend to put weight on around my stomach and nowhere else.

Those are good things to eat, no doubt The things is, the most important dietary requirement for muscle growth is a caloric surplus, so try and add another 500 calories to your current diet and see how that works out.

I currently lift this

Bench 60 - 65 Kg

Squat 65 Kg

Deadlift 60 Kg

I mention only those because i think those are the main ones you will be looking for?

Oh and i sleep about 6 Hours as my job requires me to be up at 5 but i dont manage to get into bed until 11 or Midnight sometimes.

I believe you'll be able to add quite a lot more weight to those lifts if sufficient eating is applied As for sleeping, you really should try to aim for atleast 7-8 hours of sleep.

First off, It's good to see you have some decent moves in there - the bench, squat, deadlift and chin ups are all essential to gaining strength. As mentioned above there is no need to ditch these in order to "confuse" your body..

However... Are you working out 5 days a week ? If so, I would suggest try going 3 days a week, with 48 hours rest between workouts (monday, wednesday and friday for example) This extra rest, coupled with the few extra calories as mentioned above should help your progress.

Thankyou for all the helpful information, i am going up my calorie intake and get to bed by 10 the latest, i currently work out 4 days a week Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and friday.

I am also going to push myself harder and add weights to make the workouts more intense i want that feeling after a session like i have actually done something.

there comes a point man when you just gotta hit it hard!!I like that you think out what your doing,but over anlylizing and overthinking can be a hinder.

Your excercises look good.Good variation.Make sure you lifting heavy of the deads and squats.(with good form!)

Your diet looks good.Keep eating the lean protien.Id suggest eating ALOT of raw veg and fruit.I eat MAD amounts of food and never gain a inch on the waiste becuase at least 50% of my diet is RAW.BIG factor there man.Try it it out..

Good luck brother!!

BTW-I've gained 15 lean lbs in the last year being veg.Anything can be done-half of it is in our heads!!