Is my diet good for cutting body fat????????????????

Lucas

Hi everyone. I'm new to his site.

So I started doing P90x and switched from meat to vegetarian in October 09' to seems like vegan a few months back. I made it a goal to cut out as much processed food as possible. This is what I normally eat in order through out the day.

Oatmeal, honey, almonds, Apple

Brown rice, avocado, Orange

Nuts, carrots, fruit

After 2pm I just eat a bowl of tortilla soup i make all from vegetables and beans (nothing out of a can). The ingredients included in the soup are:

celery, tomatoes, carrots, dry organic beans, lentels, garlic, onion, peppers, corn and avocado.

The beans and vegetables are cooked so im sure im losing nutrition.

I eat the soup twice after 2pm and i drink a slow acting protein powder shake before bed.

This would make 6 meals for the day.

Is my strategy good to cut the body fat? I'm 5'10 and 150 lbs so im not fat but i do have body fat around my belly that I want gone. I have good discipline when it comes to eating. Thanks!!!

Lucas

Not if you want to keep lean body mass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not if you want to keep lean body mass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any Advice? Whats wrong with my diet?

there is protein in beans.

Really?

I think that you will have a hard time getting enough protein while being on a calorie restriction if those are your food choices. It's impossible to know thought since you haven't posted any amounts. 1 gram of protein per pound is a minimum when cutting weight, at least when you get down to lower bf% ranges.

there is protein in beans.

Really?

I think that you will have a hard time getting enough protein while being on a calorie restriction if those are your food choices. It's impossible to know thought since you haven't posted any amounts. 1 gram of protein per pound is a minimum when cutting weight, at least when you get down to lower bf% ranges.

I second this. I find it hard to keep protein high on mostly whole foods if I include many grains. When trying to cut, beans should definitely be in a higher quantity than grains, and most fruit should be low sugar (mostly berries and melons). Though, you don't have to stick to lower calorie fruits, so long as you keep your consumption moderate. I would definitely ditch the honey during a cut, especially if you want to be strictly vegan. It is pure sugar, and unless it really helps you keep your sanity, it is best avoided.

I am not trying to lose weight, but am doing a recomp. I eat 1lb of dried beans and 1/2 cup of dried soybeans, cooked of course. The only fruits I eat with regularity are berries, and I don't eat grains. I use a little protein powder. This has worked better for me than any other strategy I've employed.

• 2 weeks later...

I take a post-workout protein shake, and mostly because it's just easiest for me (I workout in the mornings and then need to head out for work or classes). I tried carb cycling, which worked very well, but I just kinda stopped because I'm already dealing with a lot and my condition makes it difficult for me to focus sometimes, so yeah. I mean, it wasn't hard by any means, just something extra for me to think about that I just didn't care to. But let me emphasize that it's ridiculously easy.

Day 1 is your low-carb day. An omni would just nosh on meat, dairy, and eggs all day, but we vegans can still make it happen. Many vegetables are low in carbs (except things like bell peppers, potatoes, and carrots), so you don't have to cut them out. Tofu, tempeh, avocado, nuts, seeds, and nut butters are all good on your low-carb days, as are oils and vinegars. I also bought some neat noodles at the Asian market. There are two kinds that fit in with your low-carb day: shirutaki (made from soy or yam flour...it's low carb and very low calorie. These are ready to heat and serve, they're not hard noodles) and a "hot pot" type made from yam flour. The hot pot ones take a few extra minutes to cook, but the whole package has about 200 calories (there are about 4 servings in a package) and add a great consistency to your dish. The nice thing is that they're broad, flat noodles, so you can use them like you'd use fettucini noodles, and toss them with a low-carb pesto, or just olive oil and spices and low-carb veggies. I don't care to count carbs, I just went as low as I could, but the thing I was reading stated to consume 1g of carbs for every 2lbs of body weight.

Sample Day 1

Post workout shake/quick breakfast: Shake made with protein powder, unsweetened almond milk, 1 scant tablespoon natural peanut butter, and some of my other supplements (glutamine, tumeric, and other stuff I take for me...these have no carb count).

Snack: hummus and low-carb vegetables.

Lunch: Salad made with various greens (spinach, cabbages, mixed baby greens, kale), avocado, sesame seeds, crumbled tofu, cold shirutaki, crushed nuts (I like cashews), sliced mushrooms, celery, diced raw tomato, bean sprouts, cucumber, and a dressing I make made with sesame oil, soy sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, sriracha (a brand of Thai hot sauce), and rice vinegar.

Snack: raw nuts and some coffee

Dinner: Stir fry made with celery, mushrooms, shirataki, tofu, bean sprouts, sesame seeds, squash (zucchini and yellow), soy sauce, rice vinegar.

Day 2 is your medium-carb day (1g carbs per 1lb body weight). It's similar to day 1, but you can add in more carbs. For example, the dinner above could be served with some brown rice instead of the shirutaki, and instead of the Asian dressing, bean sprouts, and shirutaki in the lunch, I'd add beans, shredded vegan monetery jack cheese (Follow Your Heart brand), the sriracha and seasonings, and some crushed tortilla chips. The second snack would be raw nuts and a piece of fruit.

Day 3 is your high-carb day (2g carb per 1lb body weight), and this is going to be a day where you incorporate more beans and grains. Instead of a salad, I'd have a wrap or sandwich, for example.

You can also replace the days with weeks, so have a week 1 of low-carb, week 2 medium-carb, week 3 high-carb. You can also double up, like two days low-carb, two days medium-carb, two days high-carb. It's up to you. The nice thing about this rotation is that you can "indulge" on the "bad" stuff that you'd otherwise deny yourself. For example, the higher calorie, higher fat nuts and nut butters people can steer from when trying to lose weight, but they're okay on your low-carb day (as long as you don't go crazy with it and eat the whole jar of peanut butter). The high carb day allows you things like pasta, rice, beans, and potatoes, which normally get pushed to the side out of fear of OMG CARBS.