Anti Mosque Protests On The Rise

Ryofire

Stopping regular bad people (Hussein) = uncertain

What exactly did you stop him from doing? Until someone better takes his place no one has stopped anything really.

And we should remember who but him there in the first place.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What exactly did you stop him from doing? Until someone better takes his place no one has stopped anything really.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_Saddam%27s_Iraq

Yeah it's better there now. But a lot of people had to die for it. So I believe it was an uncertain move.

And we should remember who but him there in the first place.

Good ol' fear of communism. Go go Cold War!

Only a low life white trash red neck would be against the building of a mosque. Either that or some zionist scumbag.

Bahaha, I stopped reading this thread after the first post. The irony of that quote tells me it would be more trouble to read through this thread than it's worth. Good job defending one group of people while showing extreme prejudice against at least two others.

Wrong.

There is nothing wrong with alienating people based on their viewpoints. At least, not when their viewpoint is founded in some sort of irrational religious zealotry. The most marginalized people in world affairs right now are people who are secular and logical.

Hating someone for being Muslim, Christian or Jewish in their private life is wrong, hating them for wanting to translate that into their public life and shove it down everyone else's throat is not.

The western world is built on freedom and secularity, if you disagree with those things move to a dictatorship or a theocracy.

Wow, where do I begin? I seriously doubt I should spend any time getting sucked into this car crash, but here it goes. The "if you disagree, go move to ______" thing is extremely childish. That whole "you're with us or you're against us" type of attitude gets us nowhere.

And actually, the western world wasn't built on "freedom and secularity" at all. Freedom, yes. Secularity? Are you kidding? The crusaders, the conquistadors, the pilgrims, the British empire...none of these world-shaping groups of people were remotely secular.

I'm glad to hear that you're on board with discriminating against people who have "irrational religious viewpoints". Even more thrilled to hear that you think it isn't wrong to hate them for trying to shove their views down your throat, while surely you must be justified in shoving your views down the throats of others.

Let me share a little life lesson with you. Hate is the most unproductive and destructive emotion there is. Hate gets you nowhere. And just because you deem religion to be irrational, doesn't mean religious people can't be rational.

I don't know if your avatar is of yourself, but I get the impression that you're very young. I've heard all the cliche bits about religion being the opium of the masses, blah blah blah, when I was in high school and undergrad. Hell, I even believed some of that crap for a while. Then I grew out of it when I realized that most of the "enlightened" people saying that stuff were more hateful, violent, homogenized and prejudiced than the "religious sheep" they were so opposed to.

Let me share a little life lesson with you. Hate is the most unproductive and destructive emotion there is. Hate gets you nowhere. And just because you deem religion to be irrational, doesn't mean religious people can't be rational.

I've heard all the cliche bits about religion being the opium of the masses, blah blah blah, when I was in high school and undergrad. Hell, I even believed some of that crap for a while. Then I grew out of it when I realized that most of the "enlightened" people saying that stuff were more hateful, violent, homogenized and prejudiced than the "religious sheep" they were so opposed to.

+1

Hating people is wrong, hating a viewpoint is not. If no one "hated" British rule the American Revolution would not have happened.

Ok, that's not what your original response conveyed, so I'm glad you're making that distinction. I don't know if you meant it that was, but your previous message said hating the person because of their viewpoint was ok - which is definitely different than simply hating their viewpoint.

As for my background, I was a Montrealer and Torontonian before I ended up in Ottawa for school . I have never been able to align myself with any political group, because they always seem to have an ugly side that I'm not ok with. Like the way that many left-wing groups have anti-Israeli tendencies that spill over into overt anti-Semitism. I'm half Israeli myself, and would like nothing more than peace in the middle east, but when these groups do crazy things like petition to ban Israeli academics from giving guest lectures here (this actually happened in Ottawa this past year), I have to throw up my hands and say "how does this have anything to do with anything?"