Upper Chest - Incline press?

9nines

Incline bench press is supposed to be for upper chest, right? It just do not seem as it does my upper chest.

For example, I was doing incline presses, with dumbbells, yesterday. I did a one handed dumbbell press, so that I could feel my chest muscle with my other hand, to feel what part of the chest it was most working. I did not feel much flexing in my upper chest. I felt a lot in the middle side part but not upper part.

Am I doing it wrong?

Here is what I do: For dumbbell press I start wide (forearms vertical) and as I push up, I push hands toward each other (both forearms tilting inside toward each other), coming together at top. Then I come back down, getting wider (forearms going back to vertical), until I can go down no more, hold that position a second then repeat.

Here is what I do: For dumbbell press I start wide (forearms vertical) and as I push up, I push hands toward each other (both forearms tilting inside toward each other), coming together at top. Then I come back down, getting wider (forearms going back to vertical), until I can go down no more, hold that position a second then repeat.

That sounds right to me. Maybe you need to adjust the incline to make sure it is at the right angle. Have you tried with a barbell. I tend to feel it with a barbell pretty easily.

You can also try incline flys and see if you can feel that easier. Another opton is to try cables. Cables are usually pretty easy to "feel" the muscles being worked.

But it looks good to me, just do a whole lot of reps until fatigue sets in and you should be able to feel what part of the chest is fatiging.(sp, is that even a word?) Anyway, a bunch of reps help you feel what is being worked.

Give it a try and best of luck with it! Upper chest is one of my weakest areas and worst areas on me as a bodybuilder, so I'll go test it out too and find out which angle and exercise puts the most stress on it.

Dips would be good too.

-Rob

Thanks. I have a new FID bench that has about five angles. On Chest days, I do not go over the one around 60 degrees, mostly doing the 45 degree setting and flat angle. On shoulder days, I do the angles around 75 and nearly 90.

I am mainly working with dumbbells now. I will get squat station to go around my bench and incorporate barbell stuff again, later. What I like about dumbbells is, at first heavy weight on them took effort to set-up and move (carry to bench and hold as I sat back, etc.) Now walking around and handling the weight is getting much easier, so I am likely improving stabilizing muscles as part of the set-up. I like that by-product benefit.

I will push myself harder on incline bench presses and see how it goes. I was just confused because while feeling my chest as I did one hand press, it just did not seem as my upper chest was doing much (felt the outer middle of chest doing the work.)

Hey, Robert, nice new avatar photo (your arms really ARE the same size!! )

You mean forearms and upper arms?

9nines, i don't know what you're doing wrong, maybe the bench is too flat? The upper part of the chest is more involved the more inclined the bench is. I have to disagree with Rob, although i think dips are a great exercise, they don't really target your upper chest primarily. They target lower chest, chest, delts, triceps, upper chest, front delts Every muscle that presses really

Hey, Robert, nice new avatar photo (your arms really ARE the same size!! )

You mean forearms and upper arms?

No: In his previous avatar, it looked like the arm farther from the camera was a really small, vestigial arm! Like a T-Rex little baby arm!