Making lists

robert

Do any of you make lists of things to do?

I make a "to do list" nearly every single day; and I've been doing that for a few years.

I make the lists to keep myself organized and to remind myself of all the things I want to do that day. I usually write them on paper and often e-mail myself reminders too.

Some days my lists are really long and I don't get nearly everything done.

A few years ago, a successful business manager told me to never put more than 5 items on a "to do" list because I wouldn't get them done. Sometimes I've been able to cross off all 17 things on a list and that feels pretty good. But maybe he has a point to only list the 5 most important ones.

Any ideas on this? Does anyone else use a list system? I think it would nice to not have to use one, but for now it really helps out since my brain is usually bouncing around all over the place.

Well, time to cross off another item, and I notice the pen marking on my hand reminding me of something else I have to do....so I better go now.

Robert

Strange topics you post lately my friend...

Yes, i do write to-do-lists, also nearly everday. I write everything down i have to do, should do or would like to do. If it's very much, i rate every item on the list with a number according to it's priority - "First things first!"

That way, i do the most important things first, then the next and so on. If i don't manage to do all things on my list (usually), i take the left ones over to my next list. The priority rating might increase on items i carry over from one list to the next for several days

I can't multitask very well, that's just the way my brain is wired, and I couldn't handle a long list of things to do. But I'm good at focusing on solving or taking care of one problem at a time. So when I'm falling asleep I make a mental list of one or two things I need to take care of the next day. And I start planning how to take care of the one or two things most efficiently if I can't sleep.

Yeah, strange topics eh? I'm just trying to get more organized, trying to relax and lower some stress and get more sleep and all those sorts of things. So I'm just taking in ideas and suggestions from others.

I wasn't sure if the lists were normal because some people at work think I'm a little strange because I have every minute of the day mapped out

I'll get back to what I do best...posting photos

-Robert

Yes as a CEO, lists are a must! I have a priority board which lists in order things which MUST BE accomplished. I generally put at least one thing I am dreading on it each day (confrontation). The daily confrontaion is tackled at the beginning of the day, ummmm...unless I'm PMSing then no dice. I can't let emotions and anger over rule logic, so it would get pushed back a few days. Without this my business would be sunk.

Yeah, strange topics eh? I'm just trying to get more organized, trying to relax and lower some stress and get more sleep and all those sorts of things. So I'm just taking in ideas and suggestions from others.

I wasn't sure if the lists were normal because some people at work think I'm a little strange because I have every minute of the day mapped out

I'll get back to what I do best...posting photos

-Robert

You da man Rob. I do the same. Prioritising is cool.

I make lists all the time. Usually on the back of some piece of paper or the envelope of some junk mail. I think lists can reduce stress because you only have to think "what do I have to do" once during the day. And I like giving my brain a break instead of making it hold on to the list (so it can be used for more important matters, like remembering my name!)

I like being able to cross things off my lists. I've even been known to ADD things to my list that I've already done, just to be able to cross them off. (not all the time!).

Before semester breaks, I always make a list of what I have to do, because I usually have a lot to do at that time. But I also give myself permission to move things from one day to the next, or to say "I'll do that tomorrow."

That being said, I'm not a particularly ambitious person, and I have no big goals in life that I am working towards. For those who do, lists are probably much more important.

daily confrontaion is tackled at the beginning of the day, ummmm...unless I'm PMSing then no dice. I can't let emotions and anger over rule logic, so it would get pushed back a few days. Without this my business would be sunk.

Smart move. I don't share this experience from a business perspective, but I can't count how much drama in my personal life can be chalked up to this. Just happened again, and bad this time......I never realize how my mood has changed until it's too late, and then I always have the realization of...."Ooooh, that was dumb, should have waited a few days and I probably would have handled it a lot better!"

Anyway - I'm a compulsive list maker, but not a compulsive list follower

Oh yes, Lists are an absolute for me. It's my Mom's fault, she was always making lists and yes, people do think it's wierd but I must say, I get more done on my days off than most people do and it lowers my anxiety because things get taken care of. It's not a bad thing at all. hurrah for lists!

I usually put EVERYTHING on the list. If I don't finish it, it's not a big deal. I look at 5 important things done, I don't look at the 10 not done.

I wouldn't get a thing done if I didn't make lists. My "weekend" list is always the longest & some weekends not one thing gets crossed off! Other weekends the list is cleared out.

I also make a list of errands to run & put them in order of the best way to do them so I have minimal driving to do. My grocery store list is by categories: produce, grocery, paper/health & beauty, frozen, etc.

SeaSiren, if you don't mind my asking, what type of business do you run?

I run a water sports company, scuba, snorkeling, and this year I am adding kayaks (a very calculated risk). 90% of my business is internet based equipment sales, we ship internationally. I am adding a print catalog this year.

Are you the owner of this business?

I am the Chief Exective Officer / Owner, I incorporated it a couple years ago to keep my personal assests safe from the sue happy world.

Do you enjoy your work?

My work is rewarding, but EXTREMELY time consuming. It doesn't have to be as much so, but every time I add a division I put more on my plate. We also began teaching Scuba to the surround areas (2 hours in any direction) at the YMCA's and Country Clubs. I have 3 Instructors on staff. We also teach the surround areas Rescue Dive Teams and provide for their equipment as well as contracts with DNR (Dept Natural Resources) in my area. I began to receive a "comfortable" paycheck a few years ago. I decided I could stay where I was or risk getting bigger. I went for the latter. I give 10% of my income away, so the more I make, the more charities receive.

Does it consume lots of your time or are you able to balance work & your personal life easily?

I don't have a personal life! jk, I balance my work life with my children's life, they have a more active social life then I do. I don't do well keeping idle, so I like busy for now. And need to keep my children as my main focus, which is the pact with god I took on when I gave birth to them after my first child died. The business doing well is essential to paying for their college and pursuits.

That sounds fantastic, SS. How great it must be to love your work! I work with a couple that goes on a dive trip once a year with a group. This year they went to Palau. Said they spent quite a bit more than they usually do, but had a great time.

I balance my work life with my children's life, they have a more active social life then I do

. . . keep my children as my main focus

You sound like a wonderful mother & one who's fun to be with.