Coming to the UK in June

djshrew

Coming to the UK in June finally!! fly into London June 6 and will spend a few there- see Wales and drive up England to Oban, Scotland (fly back from Glasgow June 20). Would be awesome to meet some forum members! also, suggestions for places to stay and eat would be great!

Awesome!

Are you just gonna be in Glasgow to fly back home or will you be there for any time before the airport?

There are a few vegan restaurants there (city centre, not the airport), I'd recommend Stereo it's right beside Central station. Had plenty a good eats in there. The other restaurants are actually quite similar and as far as I know all owned by the same people unfortunately.

What brings you?

we'll be in Glasgow for at least a day or 2- give ourselves enough time to drive from Oban. We're only going to Oban to visit the scotch distillery (Myke is a big scotch fan).

Thanks for the suggestions we'll check them out! are you anywhere close to those cities?

We're going to celebrate my graduation from Graduate school. I've always wanted to visit the UK! and Scotland in particular since that's where my Dads side of the family came to the US from.

cool - I live north-east of London: a nice town called Bury St Edmunds, not far from Cambridge. Are you going to visit Cambridge, or Oxford? I'm a graduate of Oxford University (BA Hons Modern Languages, French and German). Nice way to celebrate your graduation Where have you been studying? What subjects?

cool - I live north-east of London: a nice town called Bury St Edmunds, not far from Cambridge. Are you going to visit Cambridge, or Oxford? I'm a graduate of Oxford University (BA Hons Modern Languages, French and German). Nice way to celebrate your graduation Where have you been studying? What subjects?

I don't think we'll make it over that way- maybe next trip I've been studying Applied Sociology at UMBC (its a smaller Honors University in Maryland- well known for the sciences and engineering).

Chewy-

Looks like we're skipping Oban and going to visit a distillery closer to Edinburgh. So we'll definitely be staying in Glasgow for a night or more. would be awesome to meet up!

Here's a rather large list of places to eat in London: http://www.veganlondon.co.uk/eat/index.htm.

That can be overwhelming, so here are my personal recommendations from among those.

Nice, sit-down meals:

Manna--really good food and nice dining experience. It's on the expensive side, but if you want to have a fancier meal while in town, I recommend this place. All vegan.

Saf--competes with Manna in the fancier-meal category. They serve a mix of raw and cooked foods. I've been only twice (one lunch and one dinner) and both meals were really tasty. All vegan.

Mildred's--not as fancy or expensive as Manna or Saf, but a nicer place with good food. Vegetarian with labeled vegan items.

Zili Green--went only once around the time it open, so can't say for sure how it is now, but that one meal I had was quite good. Vegetarian with labeled vegan items.

Sagar--pretty good vegetarian Indian place. They have a separate vegan menu; just ask for it.

Itadaki Zen--all vegan Japanese food. The food is a little different than people might be used to and flavours a subtle, but I like it.

More casual:

Maoz--falafel place that is reasonably priced and good casual lunch. Nearly all vegan, excepting coleslaw and garlic sauce.

Gallery Cafe--a nice place if you want to sit and hang out in a relaxed atmosphere. Vegetarian with labeled vegan items.

Pogo Cafe--same as above; a nice place to hang out and the food's good, too. It's not at all fancy stuff, but enjoyable anyway. Downside is it's in an area that's a little off the beaten path and harder to travel to. All vegan.

There are these Chinese buffet places all over London, generally owned by the same people. They aren't anything special but they're OK if you are hungry and want to eat a lot of food. If you are in the mood for Chinese, fake meat type stuff I'd suggest Loving Hut (formerly Peking Palace) over those.

• 2 months later...

Its quickly approaching!!

We've got the rental car booked, and our hotel in London- everything else will be spur of the moment sorta.

The plan so far:

London- for a few days (3-4days)

Cardiff- 1 night

Liverpool- few days

Manchester- an afternoon or so

York- 1 night

Glasgow- rest of the trip

Damn I'm right over on the east coast, so I'm far out the way. Hope you have a good time, weather has been not too bad here, at least for me. Can't really give you any advice on where to eat in the places you're going, I guess if nobody lives in some of those areas you'll have to google for local vegan stuff

erm if ur down near suffolk the veggie red lion is good, its more of a puby type restaurant and no idea were to stay,

if ur in london area i would suggets the pogo cafe and theres a couple others i will email my mate he knows more

Damn I'm right over on the east coast, so I'm far out the way. Hope you have a good time, weather has been not too bad here, at least for me. Can't really give you any advice on where to eat in the places you're going, I guess if nobody lives in some of those areas you'll have to google for local vegan stuff

Damn!! was hoping to meet ya! The weather has to be better than here, its been hotter than hell!!

erm if ur down near suffolk the veggie red lion is good, its more of a puby type restaurant and no idea were to stay,

if ur in london area i would suggets the pogo cafe and theres a couple others i will email my mate he knows more

Thanks! the Veggie Red Lion looks awesome, though I'm not sure we'll make it out that way. Who knows though, we have the rental car and are fairly open with our travel plans.

I love the name of that place in London! (it's the name of one of our dogs, Pogo )

haha its a pretty cool set up, last time i went it was all volunter run and made practically no profits

if ur in derby definately go to sound bites i got some good easy take out food from there, dunno what everywhere else is like but its normally hard to find a quick sandwhich in essex/suffolk that is vegan and actually tastes good.

hope u like the uk bloody good weather at teh moment

I forgot to mention I really like 222veggievegan, too. I especially like their lunchtime buffet. It's £7.50 I think for all you can eat. They usually have a few salads and a few hot dishes. It's all vegan and all really tasty.

Here's a rather large list of places to eat in London: http://www.veganlondon.co.uk/eat/index.htm.

That can be overwhelming, so here are my personal recommendations from among those.

Nice, sit-down meals:

Manna--really good food and nice dining experience. It's on the expensive side, but if you want to have a fancier meal while in town, I recommend this place. All vegan.

Saf--competes with Manna in the fancier-meal category. They serve a mix of raw and cooked foods. I've been only twice (one lunch and one dinner) and both meals were really tasty. All vegan.

Mildred's--not as fancy or expensive as Manna or Saf, but a nicer place with good food. Vegetarian with labeled vegan items.

Zili Green--went only once around the time it open, so can't say for sure how it is now, but that one meal I had was quite good. Vegetarian with labeled vegan items.

Sagar--pretty good vegetarian Indian place. They have a separate vegan menu; just ask for it.

Itadaki Zen--all vegan Japanese food. The food is a little different than people might be used to and flavours a subtle, but I like it.

More casual:

Maoz--falafel place that is reasonably priced and good casual lunch. Nearly all vegan, excepting coleslaw and garlic sauce.

Gallery Cafe--a nice place if you want to sit and hang out in a relaxed atmosphere. Vegetarian with labeled vegan items.

Pogo Cafe--same as above; a nice place to hang out and the food's good, too. It's not at all fancy stuff, but enjoyable anyway. Downside is it's in an area that's a little off the beaten path and harder to travel to. All vegan.

There are these Chinese buffet places all over London, generally owned by the same people. They aren't anything special but they're OK if you are hungry and want to eat a lot of food. If you are in the mood for Chinese, fake meat type stuff I'd suggest Loving Hut (formerly Peking Palace) over those.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...