Who Loves Severe Storms?!?

Anyone who lives in the midwest/east central/southeastern part of the US is basically getting pummelled by rain, thunder, tornadoes, hail and the gods only know what else. So, who here loves severe weather? Personally I don't. But that's because we don't have a basement to enjoy it from. And huddling in the bathroom hugging the toilet is just..not fun.

So, anyone?

I really like severe weather up to a point, then it just gets scary! I love watching from a distance, but once in awhile a storm with funky clouds would get too close and we would have to go to the basement.

Where I live now is pretty tame weather-wise. If they forecast a couple inches of rain they refer to it as a 'storm.'

Strong storms seem to break up before they hit where we live but it's still mind boggling to see all the watches and warnings and crap. Especially when the storms don't break up til about 20 miles before they hit our town so we're waiting with anticipation to see what will happen.

Generally it's just alot of exaggerated worry for nothing.

I don't mind when the weather gets rough here in WI, except of course once the tornado sirens start sounding off and it's time to head for the basement

The somewhat fun side is that my street gets flooded out in a pocket right at our intersection, it looks like a small puddle from a distance until people try to drive through it and realize that it ends up being about 2 feet deep, sometimes more. It makes for an entertaining night sitting out on the patio watching people gamble to see if they can get through it for the hour or two until the storm drains catch up and clear the intersection out. We always get a few who don't make it all the way through and end up sitting in their stalled-out cars cursing themselves for not just driving around the block to avoid it I always play "good samaritan" and help push people out, but after the last time where someone almost ran me down as I tried to flag them around the hazard (note to self: most 85 year old men don't see too well at night and will drive right through without concern for what's in their way), it's getting a bit more risky to try and do the nice thing.

You know it's bad for my winter depression when I'm actually waxing nostalgic about summer storms and pushing cars out of thigh-deep water

LOOOVE severe storms. Track them on the internet, then go out into them whenever possible. Nothing quite like getting "hugged" by the pressure of gale force winds up against your chest or tasting the nickel flavor of lightning in the air. Chased many tornadoes. Haven't caught one yet, but it's on my list along with earthquakes, volcanoes, avalanches, and tsunamis. I've seen the effects of all three but I want to feel the energy in medias res.

Used to live in the heart of the Midwest. Favorite trick was to lay underwater on the bottom of the swimming pool, pinching my nose closed, while I watched a hard rain and then hail turn the surface of the water into a psychedelic moving wallpaper of a billion circles. Good stuff.

Climbing at around 13,500' on Mt. Quandary in a blizzard in Colorado was unforgettable. The horizontal snow whipped my trekking poles out from under me and held them perpendicular to the ground. I smiled so much that day, I had a problem with my teeth freezing.

Climbing another mountain, Mt. Bierstadt, I got targeted for lightning around 8 times and had to assume the position. The sensation on your scalp just before a strike feels like someone has sewn a hundred bees under your skin and they are all crawling and buzzing around in your blood, trying to get out.

On a third mountain, Boreas Mountain, body surfed the wind blasts running up a cliff. Leaned out over the edge past the point of no return and felt the air push me back each time. Had to time it just right because when the wind died, it was back to just me and gravity. Did it again at another time when the gusts were strong enough to push full sized vehicles across the ice in a parking lot. http://allthoughtswork.wordpress.com/2009/12/09/arctic-cold-wind-ice-and-a-small-world-after-all/

Got chased by a rogue wave on the Pacific Northwest coast--kind of like a mini-tsunami but with no warning whatsoever. Barely made it over the land berm in time to escape getting dragged out to sea. Laughed and squealed like a little kid the whole time.

Really, really, really want to try speed flying, maybe over an avalanche....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ufVNNkVIO0

Baby Herc