eye lid myokymia - twitching

9nines

Anyone experienced eye lid myokymia, or "eye lid twitch"?

Reading about it, it is an involuntary muscle (controlling eyelids) contraction, normally caused by stress or excessive physical activity.

I have been lifting weights more aggressively and longer than anytime in my life and my eyelid twitch has completely correspond to that. While it happens throughout the day (normally if I sneeze, yawn or something else that stresses facial muscles or become stressed about a problem/situation), it happens during hard weight lifts, too.

Stress seems same in my life, so I guess it is the extra physical excursion (which is physical stress too I guess) in recent lifting. I am going to not lift weights the next five days (been strong 4 days a week lifting recently so good to take a 4th week break) and see if it improves.

Anyone else experience this?

Anyone else experience this?

Edited by 9nines

yup, it used to freak me out a little bit. Had no idea what prompted it. I always thought it was due to me just being tired. I haven't had it for a long time and now that you bring it up I hope it doesn't come back!!

it was just my right eye. It would twitch at work and I wondered if anyone could see it? It's very un-nerving.

Stress eh? Perhaps that's why it has disappeared. I've been good at minimizing my stress. I never had it in response to physical activity though...I don't think.

Happens to me all the time, including right now. At first I thought it was from lack of sleep, but I sleep plenty now and it's still happening - more often in fact. It's annoying, but if it is from excessive physical activity, then I'm going to have to get used to it as I'm not giving that up. From what I read, it'll go away eventually.

Let us know if you learn anything else.

I know a person who routinely had that problem. I initially assumed these were winks directed at me. I wanted to approach and explain that I am flattered but taken. Make sure you're not broadcasting the wrong message. Or perhaps, assume damage control and gaze seductively at your object(s) of desire when you feel the twitches are going to start. This could be the beginning of a something intimate.

I think I had that too, once. For me it was after a week of crazy work deadlines and university exams. It was probably a synergy of severe lack of sleep and insane amounts of caffeine in my system. Sleep is a precious commodity sometimes.

I get it in my eye, my thigh and my neck, it sucks. I have had it in my little finger one time. I don't know when or why it happens, I hadn't thought of it being to do with stress or weight-lifting. It can happen when I am just sitting around doing flux all.

I know a person who routinely had that problem. I initially assumed these were winks directed at me. I wanted to approach and explain that I am flattered but taken. Make sure you're not broadcasting the wrong message. Or perhaps, assume damage control and gaze seductively at your object(s) of desire when you feel the twitches are going to start. This could be the beginning of a something intimate.

ha ha - i'll have to keep those gazes directed at my wife tho.

I've had involuntary muscle twitching a few times but not with my eyelids. I had it in my gluts. I had it in my pecs once when starting out a hard bench press workout. Shoulders, etc. It's pretty rare though. Maybe ten or so times over 15 years, for a couple days.

My wife gets eyelid twitching when stressed.