Why do some vegans say that holidays "Suck"? I'll

Odidnetne

I'm currently writing a paper for sociology about how the media stereotypes vegans and gives us a bad rap, and I brought out how, along with everyday of the year, we take sales away from the animal product industries, but most especially on holidays like Thanksgiving, where turkey is the staple of the holiday, but I wanted to post a section of my paper:

The problem with the food industries is that they have figured out how to get into every little crack of culture and society that they can, which makes people becoming vegans less appealing to them. The food eaten on holidays that are commonly celebrated today have foods which are out of place, though considered common for the day. Studies suggest that turkey was not the staple of the original Thanksgiving, and it is odd for people to eat ham on both Easter and Christmas, religious holidays which celebrate the life of Jesus Christ, a Jewish person, and pork is so heavily looked down upon in the Jewish religion. Vegans don’t buy ham for Christmas or Easter, nor do they buy Cadburry eggs, Easter Eggs, which, the coloring of eggs had nothing to do with the death of a people’s savior, along with other tooth-decaying treats that have become part of the Easter Holiday. Vegans will normally abstain from buying chocolates for their significant others on Valentine’s day, or won’t purchase much if they take their mother’s out to dinner on Mother’s Day, and tend to avoid many different types of alcohol, which degrades the quality of St. Patrick’s day, a holiday which many people view as an excuse to ingest excessive amounts of alcohol. The meat industry misses out on vegans as potential customers for both Memorial Day and Fourth of July barbecues, the barbecue being tradition, when neither holiday truly deals with barbecuing. The sale of dried fruits such as raisins are enjoyed during the Halloween season though, as vegans will not buy many of the chocolate treats that many “common” households offer to children. Major food companies do not want to see people becoming vegan, because it hurts bottom line reports and profits, not just on holidays, but everyday of the year, the purpose of this paragraph is to describe how it is often awkward to be a vegan on these holidays, and how “temptation” is more strongly around almost one day a month.

It's really funny that you should talk about this because I was going to post something on this topic today!

Yesterday I watched the film, "Giant". I'm sure most of you will have seen it.

Well, it is a very important film, and on one of its many layers, one can definitely see it as a cry to stop man's exploitation of animals.

Firstly, the cattle ranch is showed in an absured light. At the barbecue after Leslie has just arrived at the ranch, she can just about cope with seeing all the beef but when she sees a cow's head placed on the serving table she is shocked. "What is that?" she asks. Jordan's response is: "What have you never had cow's brain before?" Understandably, Leslie faints.

Then there is the issue of using horses for our own "needs". Jordan's son isn't interested in horse riding: he cries and refuses to ride.

Indeed, the second mise-en-scene of the film, after the depiction of the cattle drinking, shows a fox hunt, so the issue of animal rights is there from the outset.

Then the scene where Leslie has taken her three children back to Washington for Thanksgiving is very poignant:

The children are shown feeding the turkey out in the yard. There is a cut to the dinner scene and the children realise that this dead bird on the table is the turkey they've just been feeding and calling by a nickname. They burst into hysterical crying and refuse to eat.

Anyway, if you haven't seen the film, try to get hold of it.