Dark leafy greens

I can't eat them raw

I've tried all kinds of methods but I feel like I'm going to vomit and one time when eating raw broccoli I actually got sick.

I've tried eating them as they are. I've tried _raVen_s smoothies. I can have small amounts of broccoli when mixed into salads but that's it.

I've given up. Nature has made these bastards so nasty I'd rather eat raw plutonium.

I can eat broccoli and spinach cooked by the pound and I love it. Thai food with coconut milk and broccoli is one of my all time favourites.

Am I to die a slow and painful death for not eating them raw? I eat about 1kg of veggies per day, most of it raw. But not dark leafy greens.

I damn them to hell!!

I don't think it will kill you. Maybe you could drink the lleftover water after cooking to capture some missed nutrients

( I jest ....but I'm sure it's been done before )

I know a lot of people who dislike the texture of raw broccoli, so you're certainly not alone!

Try raw baby spinach, reg spinach or other greens topped with your fav dressing. You can also use them as wraps.

And I don't think your going to die a slow painful death if you don't eat them raw, But if you you do, let me know when it starts to occur so I can file it away in my mind for future reference.

I know a lot of people who dislike the texture of raw broccoli, so you're certainly not alone!

Try raw baby spinach, reg spinach or other greens topped with your fav dressing. You can also use them as wraps.

And I don't think your going to die a slow painful death if you don't eat them raw, But if you you do, let me know when it starts to occur so I can file it away in my mind for future reference.

I will keep you posted

One can compare it to alcohol. People come up with all kinds of crazy ideas to cover up the nasty taste. Coke, milk (!?), grains (as in beer), dump it 40 years in an oak container, mix it with stomped grapes, add coffee, etc etc.

I'm an honest straight back kinda fella' and you will never hear me say that I like neither alcohol nor dark leafys. I like dizziness and antioxidants.

Anyone claiming to LIKE ethanol or raw leafy greens for the yummy taste loses a bit of cridibility in my book. I simply don't believe it

Like them no, hate them no. But there are very few foods I actually like, I have always seen food as a necessity to do what I really want to do. So I don't mind them, I just eat them as I would any other food to fuel my body.

Life would be just grand if I didn't have to take the time to eat anything....but then I would be sickly skinny and not too much fun,

I hate raw broccoli with a passion. But I love raw cauliflower. And I can eat steamed broccoli all day! I love it like that. Raw baby spinach is yummy to me and I love it cooked as well.

I too am picky about my raw foods. And broccoli is one of those things that tastes awful raw to me.

Thats weird, I love raw or cooked broccoli- Funny how that works, I think it's because my mom always made it growing up-

JB

According to Neal Barnard, some people are supertasters, and to them, things like broccoli and brussels sprouts taste bitter and are unappealing (coffee, as well), but to regular tasters and in particular 'non-tasters,' they are not a problem.

According to Neal Barnard, some people are supertasters, and to them, things like broccoli and brussels sprouts taste bitter and are unappealing (coffee, as well), but to regular tasters and in particular 'non-tasters,' they are not a problem.

Ohhh, so I've got some sort of lousy taste abililties huh :P?

I can't eat broccoli raw either. I usually microwave it for about 5 minutes, and spray some amino acid spray on it and it tastes good to me that way

Interesting. What kind of spray is that? Links?

I never had broccoli a lot until I moved to the USA. I like it cooked / uncooked.

When its part of an uncooked salad plate I usually dip it in some dressing. Anything that changes its DRY composition.

One thing I could recommend besides salad dressing would be some Indian Chat Masala (its a spice mix for salads.. very tangy & tasty that will make anything delicious and has some healthy tangy anti ox spices)

I can't eat broccoli raw either. I usually microwave it for about 5 minutes, and spray some amino acid spray on it and it tastes good to me that way

Interesting. What kind of spray is that? Links?

I never had broccoli a lot until I moved to the USA. I like it cooked / uncooked.

When its part of an uncooked salad plate I usually dip it in some dressing. Anything that changes its DRY composition.

One thing I could recommend besides salad dressing would be some Indian Chat Masala (its a spice mix for salads.. very tangy & tasty that will make anything delicious and has some healthy tangy anti ox spices)

I use this stuff http://www.bragg.com/products/liquidaminos.html

Ohhh, so I've got some sort of lousy taste abililties huh :P?

Don't worry as apparently I have lousy tasting abilities as well, because I loooove coffee and brocolli ! (I even liked brocolli as a child.... )

Offense if you want to eat dark leafy greens raw, I agree with what others have said about adding to wraps, salads and sandwiches - particularly baby spinach. Arugula, romaine lettuce, and escarole are great in salads, celery is good with peanut butter (not dark, but leafy green), snow peas are great raw dark green veggies and can complement your leafy dark green veggies (artichokes are good as well but don't know if they are considered dark leafy green veggies.)

If you really hate them raw, steam them a little, just go easy on the water. (Brocolli and asparagus are good steamed.)

• 2 months later...

Got my champion 2000+ juicer today and tried it.

I will have alot of use of it, I can tell allready.

Tried to put some broccoli juice in the mix with some carrots, ginger, selery and one other thing that I don't know the name of in English.

Couldn't cover up the taste of the raw broccoli. It's soooo nasty to me that I will now stop trying to eat leafy greens raw.

The thing is that I'm going more raw and will only eat the things that I believe are good to me but that I can't eat raw. I've nailed it down to these things:

Beans (the large ones like kidney, soy and stuff).

Brown rice and corn (for the vitamin and mineral content).

Dark leafy greens (I will buy them frozen or raw and heat them up).

Got my champion 2000+ juicer today and tried it.

I will have alot of use of it, I can tell allready.

Tried to put some broccoli juice in the mix with some carrots, ginger, selery and one other thing that I don't know the name of in English.

Couldn't cover up the taste of the raw broccoli. It's soooo nasty to me that I will now stop trying to eat leafy greens raw.

The thing is that I'm going more raw and will only cook the things that I believe are good to me but that I can't eat raw. I've nailed it down to these things:

Beans (the large ones like kidney, soy and stuff).

Brown rice and corn (for the vitamin and mineral content).

Dark leafy greens (I will buy them frozen or raw and heat them up).

How does not liking the taste of raw Broccoli juice, which is not a dark leafy green at all, make you not want to eat dark leafy greens raw? I encourage you to give the raw dark leafy greens anouther go, there's so many out there that you're bound to find some that you do like!