Publicizing our Vegan Vacation

loveliberate

All,

I'm extremely excited about the Vegan Vacation and want to help make it the best it can be. While we were tabling the other day, Robert and I discussed who we'd like to have attend and if/how we should publicize the gathering. Robert expressed that while V.V. will obviously have a strong focus on all things vegan &/or fitness focused, he also thought we should try to get as many folks as possible to participate, even if they were not vegan or particularly into fitness, etc. I hope I captured your thoughts accurately Robert - please correct me if I did not!

What do all of you think about this?

I agree with Robert on all of that and want to get started ASAP so that we can get the word as far and wide as possible. I've been working on an email explaining our hopes and plans for V.V.. I've posted that below - please share your thoughts and suggestions on improving it! I'd also like to see a V.V. flyer put together - is anyone working on this already? If not, who would like to do this?

Here's the proposed email text:

Hey folks,

I wanted to let you know about this awesome event I'm helping to spread the word on.

The upcoming Vegan Vacation gathering was inspired by the great folks from http://www.veganfitness.net who have yearly meet-ups. These meet-ups have generally happened over in Europe and so Robert Cheeke of http://www.veganbodybuilding.com decided to organize a gathering based in the united states.

This event will be taking place from August 3-9 in Portland, Oregon USA

The basic idea is to have a get-together of the Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness forum members to hang out and meet in person, but everyone is welcome! You dont even have to be Vegan or into bodybuilding & fitness - just come out for good times and to see what this is all about!

While the Vegan Vacation gathering is still in the planning stages, there will definitely be a variety of activities focused on fitness, great food, veganism & generally having fun! Most events will be free or low-cost. Organizers will provide as much free housing and food as possible. YOUR assistance and ideas are welcomed!

Originally, the Vegan Vacation location was going to be Los Angeles, California. For a variety of reasons, the gathering location has been switched to Portland, Oregon.

So Why Portland?

Here's just a sampling of what Portland has to offer:

- Portland is the #1 Vegan Friendly City in America

- Portland is one of the most beautiful and clean cities in America

- Portland is one of the fittest cities in America with all kinds of outdoor activities during the beautiful summer for athletes to take part in

- Portland is only an hour from the Pacific Ocean so we can still "hang out on the beach"

- Portland has more vegan and vegetarian restaurants per capita than pretty much anywhere

- Portland actually has vegan soft serve ice cream that comes out of the machines (kinda like a Dairy Queen, but vegan)

- There are many forum members in Portland and around the region so we are sure to have a nice turnout and lots of local tour guides

- Portland has lots of other attractions such as being

located near Mt. Hood and Mt. Saint Helens, Seattle, Olympia, Eugene, Vancouver & Victoria plus all kinds of great wild nature, rivers and mountains.

- Did I mention that we have Food Fight!, the ALL VEGAN 7-11 type convenience store?1?

If you have any questions, please email Robert Cheeke at: [email protected]

Check out the Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness website here: http://www.veganbodybuilding.com and the forums here: http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/phpBB2

I hope to see you at the Vegan Vacation week!

For more information visit this Vegan Vacation forum thread:

viewforum.php?f=27

Edited by loveliberate

Cool loveliberate, thanks man. I have tons of connections in Portland and will also be involved with IDA, Northwest Veg, Food Fight, the co-ops and health food stores, VegNews magazine, etc.

So we'll get great community support. I'm sure there will be many dozens of people, if not well over 100 just from the Portland area, involved in some of the events such as picnics and potlucks.

I hope we get a good response from forum members as well. Really all they need is a way here (flight or drive) and pretty much everything else will be taken care of.

We'll make some posters and flyers to poster the city and some other good sites to advertise on are:

myspace.com

tribe.net

care2.com

yahoo groups

msn groups

Tarz - Thanks for pointing that out, I've edited it to be more clear. How do you think it looks otherwise?

Ravi - Hey, as long as I'm behind the camera then I'm down for it!

Now tell the truth, you've just been waiting for a chance to share that

video clip, haven't you?

Robert - I love seeing people come together to create community, network and have fun! This is going to be HUGE!!! I'd like to also have at least a couple of more intimate events just for forum folks and other close friends. I'm really looking forward to meeting all of you who come out for this in person!

Edited by loveliberate

loveliberate, I was going to say the same thing. I'm going to start a new topic that is about forum member only events, and other events such as potlucks, picnics, table events, etc. can involve the whole community. But yeah, we will have some events like dinners, training sessions, hanging out, etc. that is just with our fellow forum members....but like I say frequently....what are we doing if we're not involving the people that we are trying to reach?????? So that is why I want to do large community events. There isn't much of a point of having an all vegan gathering without impacting the community...that would be a bit selfish on our part.

No worries man, I'll make that clear soon. You can think up specific events for forum members and non-members if you like. I have some ideas, and then a handful of us will work on creating an itinerary for the whole week.

Ooh, I like the idea of both big community events, and smaller forum-only-ish events. Although I'd hate to be too "exclusive". Maybe we should have smaller events happen simultaneously so people can choose which one to go to. Then the groups will be smaller, but people won't feel left out? Just a thought.

• 2 weeks later...

It will be sorted out, no worries. We'll have events like dinners for our forum members, and then massive picnics open to the public. Training sessions with forum members, and hikes, bike rides, runs, etc. open to the public.

We will be creating some posters and flyers soon, because one of our goals is to impact the community.

Any ideas for posters, flyers, etc. will be much appreciated.

If any of you are good with graphics and poster creation, please give it a go and make up a file for us to look at

Thanks.

Robatron 5900

I think that it would be great if folks would keep everyone updated on where they have been advertising V.V. week. Here's what I've done so far:

- I tell just about everyone I know or meet who I think may even possibly be interested

- VeganFitness.net forums

- Food Fight! forums: http://foodfightgrocery.com/forums

- On myspace: blog & bulletin

- Various email based discussion & news lists

Soon, I will start posting the info on different Indymedia.org sites and when the flyers come out I'll put those up whereever I go.

More to come!

Awesome man, and great idea!

I've been mostly promoting on Myspace, and within my community of vegan friends as well as in the Portland and NW Oregon communties.

I'll get on care2.com and tribe.net soon too.

Thanks for all your work. It is much appreciated. I'm excited about some of the contests up on Mount Tabor. They playground with the pull-up bars, etc. is going to be a great stage.

I informed NWveg and I will send them a brief outline of our event and what to expect. I'm sure we'll get involvement and support from them. They have over 200 members and I think at least a few dozen will get involved.

I expect a couple hundred people will be involved in events throughout the week, and we'll also have our more private forum-only events like dinners to get to know each other and I expect 30 or so for those.

I also talked with Proper Eats and Pirate's Tavern about hosting events and you can bet Food Fight and others will be involved too.

Tell your friends! We'll have an intinerary of main events soon, and of course there will be plenty of down time for hanging out, exploring, etc.

I've got an idea...I can do a veganized Filipino dinner...never been to one (probably has never been one)but I've got some great conversions and my mothers got better ones that I can learn before I head down(well left to be more exact). Even the two veg restaraunts in the Philippines leave filipino food alone other then some weird icy drinks and things. Everyones had vegan chinese, vegan indian, vegan italian etc. It'll be a good chance for people to broaden their skills and impress non-vegans. I've got a few appetizers with tofu, spring rolls, even traditional raw spring rolls that are often vegan anyway, tofu adobo(normally chicken), and wait for desert...you won't believe it. I don't know if I can handle 200 people though...the most I've single handedly cooked for is 30 and that was a little crazy so it might be a fun modest sized event. None the less it would be a new dining experience for everyone that eats cooked food...sweet and tangy at its best!!!

Keep the ideas coming

Aaron, you know what I mean man.....just me and you, candle-lit dinner over a vegan sausage and rice cakes!

Naw, just playing. What I mean, is some forum-member-only events for us to bond and get to know each other.

Then we'll do our community events to leave a lasting impact on Portland.

Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness and the Vegan Fitness Team (All of us) will rock this place and folks will remember it

Here's just a sampling of what Portland has to offer:

- Portland is one of the fittest cities in America with all kinds of outdoor activities during the beautiful summer for athletes to take part in

- Portland is only an hour from the Pacific Ocean so we can still "hang out on the beach"

- Portland has more vegan and vegetarian restaurants per capita than pretty much anywhere

- Portland actually has vegan soft serve ice cream that comes out of the machines (kinda like a Dairy Queen, but vegan)

- There are many forum members in Portland and around the region so we are sure to have a nice turnout and lots of local tour guides

located near Mt. Hood and Mt. Saint Helens, Seattle, Olympia, Eugene, Vancouver & Victoria plus all kinds of great wild nature, rivers and mountains.

- Did I mention that we have Food Fight!, the ALL VEGAN 7-11 type convenience store?

You REALLY like to rub it in don't you!

LOL - really must overcome my fears of being shot or arabic racial discrimination and make it down there sometime....but even better would be if all you vegan folk migrated up to Vancouver, a much more suitable habitat for you

But thats like birds migrating away from the good food...why would they do that when they could stay in...

- Did I mention that we have Food Fight!, the ALL VEGAN 7-11 type convenience store?

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone here a member on, or want to join, the Vegan Represent Forum? It's located at http://www.veganrepresent.com & someone on the Vegan Parenting group suggested I join VRF & tell them about Vegan Vacation. I dont want to get on any more forums right now but it would be great if someone from here & VRF could post the Vegan Vacation info. Who'll do it?