Portland in November

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Liz,

Yeah, we'll talk about it. I already have your number from our Maryland meet-up

There is a showing of Earthlings this week, I haven't seen it and there will probably be 20 or so other vegans there.

I would suggest at some point you visit:

Proper Eats www.propereats.org

Blossoming Lotus www.blossominglotus.com

Veganopolis www.veganopolis.com

Of course, Food Fight! www.foodfightgrocery.com

And we have a big Fair on the 4th and 5th if you can make it, there should be hundreds, if not over a thousand eco-friendly people there.

We'll sort something out.

loveliberate will be working a lot and I'm putting in 12 hours a day on my festival planning, but we'll hang out as much as we can.

See you soon!

Heya Liz,

I just left ya a phone message a few minutes back. I'll post details about the showing of Earthlings Robert mentioned in the events section.

Sadly, my work schedule has me working evenings for most of the days ya'll will here... I may have some free time Saturday night but I'm not sure yet. Tomorrow is the only night I can almost certainly hang out so let's definitely try to get some folks together for then. Anyone have a preference for where to meet?

I may also be able to hang out for a little while in the evenings depending

on where folks get together & when I get my break... Liz, what time/s does yr conference let out?

There are so great places to eat in Portland - here's some personal favorites:

- Proper Eats holds a special place in my heart

- Blossuming Lotus has awesome food for a very reasonable price

- Bay Leaf Restaurant, 4768 SE Division St., (503) 232-7058, Chinese/pan-asian, 90% vegan and near my house to boot

- Dalo's Kitchen, 4134 N. Vancouver #207, (503) 808-9604, Ethiopian, good food for cheap & very nice folks run the place

- Horn of Africa, 3939 NE Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., (503) 331-9844, anouther great Ethiopian place with friendly folks

- La Villa, 719 SE Morrison St., (503) 872-9696, Lebanese (& Brazilian!) place with a seperate Veg (mostly vegan) menu by request, even vegan baklava

- Red & Black Café, 2138 SE Division St., (503) 231-3899

http://www.redandblackcafe.com, Worker owned, low prices for meals, mostly organic - this is my favorite coffeshop & general hangout spot. Always vegan options, free wi-fi & internet ready computers, very close to People's (All Veg, mostly vegan) Food Coop & other cool stuff

- Van Hahn, 8446 SE Division St., (503) 788-0825 - Tasty Vietnamesein a very homey place, run by a Buddhist Nun

For groceries & such I suggest:

- Food Fight! (of course), almost entirely packaged goods with a heavy snack/junk food focus

- Proper Eats has a small natural foods store, mostly bulk & produce

- Peoples Food Coop: http://www.peoples.coop - an all-around awesome place, just as much a community center as a store. That's true of Proper Eats & Food Fight as well, Peoples is just more established so it probably has more happening, more frequently.

- Daily Grind, 4026 SE Hawthorne Blvd, (503) 233-5521 - all Veg w/ great vegan baked goods & deli options

Yay! Liz & Katrina will be here soon!

Now who else is going to come visit with us?

Okay, so we'll definitely do something tomorrow night then! We should get into the hotel by around 5:30 or 6:00. When we're settled, I'll call loveliberate to find out what the plans are, if any have been made by then.

I'll check the board tomorrow morning to see if anything has been planned, but after about 7:30 AM I won't have access--so anything that has happened since then I will just have to learn when I call tomorrow evening.

I'm up for going anywhere to eat tomorrow night--though of course our need to get around a city we don't know at all might limit us a little bit--so whatever those of you Portlanders who can make it thinks is good is fine with us!

Earthlings sounds fun, but I am betting that Katrina would not be able to watch it. I'll see what she thinks, though.

After posting my list of favorites, I came up with an entirely different suggestion for tomorrow's dinner: the Paradox Cafe! My wife has been wanting to try it & my magic coupon box produced a coupon for 10% off our tables bill! It's in a neat neighborhood, is very vegan friendly & also a close to home option for several forum members. Here's a sampling of what they offer - the full menu is much larger. http://www.redirectguide.com/PDX/SeeAd.asp?ID=106

So...

How does dinner there at 7 sound ya'll?

Ps. Liz, The "15 Belmont" bus ya'll can catch just a couple of blocks down fom yr hotel that drops ya off right across right across the street from Paradox: http://www.trimet.org/go/cgi-bin/reitin.pl?id=6019&lang=t&p=1

Hi Formica! it will be totally nice to meet you!

I know very little about a number of forum members on here, and have

met few, so it will be a good thing..

I suggested Kinta's(malaysian) because it is a newer restaurant

that I think needs veggie business more than Paradox(which appeals to all spectrums and appetites)...

plus I think if we're going to get alittle group together,

we should definitely be supporting the cause more profoundly by

sticking to a 100% veggie restaurant. Just my opinion though...

Also, don't forget there is the Tao of Tea(indian), Vege thai(thai) , Kalga Kafe(international), Bay Leaf(asian) and the Farm(veg. friendly), all within

that same area, and they are ALL vegetarian, and very vegan prone.

Paradox isn't a bad place though at all.. just trying to offer suggestions

Not to throw off plans, but tonight is also the grand opening of Pirate's Tavern.

Just something to think about. I might swing over there after our SE meet-up just to show them some support and say hi.

I'm off to Corvallis in a bit but I'll be back later tonight.

That was soooooooooooo much fun!!!!!!!! It was exactly what I needed!

Thanks to those who came out. I think I counted 17-20 people, it was hard to keep track with all the flexing that was going on

We'll do a bunch of other gatherings this week. I look forward to it.

This was the most fun I've had in a while. I've been over-worked and over-stressed and tonight was just a great time!

Thanks!!!!!!!!

My family & I had a good time also. It was great to meet Liz & Katrina, as well as those new folks who showed up. Hanging with Darth & his partner plus all the other local folks was also fun. Robert's flexing & vein displays for the new folks were memorable.

Liz,

I still feel bad about about the noodle mishap... but at least they tried to make up for it with the vanilla-cocnut ice cream! Hope ya'll have a great time during your Portland visit and that I can hang out with ya'll again this week. I have some ideas but will wait to see what other folks suggest.

Ps. Robert & I will be at the Give Green Fair ( http://www.givegreenfair.com ) during the day Saturday - everyone is encouraged to stop by our table & visit!

Maybe we can plan something for Saturday? Tomorrow K and I have plans with a college friend of hers.

If you're too good to hang out with us, just tell us. It's fine. We have other friends around here. We won't be offended.

Just kidding, I LOVE you girls. That was really fun last night and it's cool because I just hung out with you a few weeks ago too. I'm not really that cocky and arrogant, I just had to put on a show for some of our other visitors from the East Coast too.

But, the forearm really does get flexed nearly everywhere we go. That happened as soon as we got to Pirate's Tavern. It was requested by the owner so I had to deliver.

Anyway, have fun, sorry it's a little rainy. I'll take the blame for that. Portland rocks and I hope you love it.

Hit up Veganopolis, Blossoming Lotus, and Powell's Books while you're downtown.

Maybe see you tonight? I'm not sure if I'll watch Earthlings or not...and I'm swamped with a capital amped with Festival stuff. But see you both soon!

Tell K to call me or loveliberate if she's bored or wants a tour of the city.

Have fun at the conference!

So sorry I missed last night. I have not been online in awhile. If anyone is planning on going to the PSU saturday farmer's market, we'll be there (as usual) and will then be heading over to the Give Green Fair at the Lloyd center. So if anyone from the SW area wants company on the MAX, I'll be there.

FormicaLinoleum, if you want to see one of the best farmer's markets in the world (honestly) you should check out the Saturday market at PSU starting at 9:30 am. Just head south from your hotel and go west until you get to the south parks blocks (the concierge will be able to give you better directions). There's a vegan bakery stand (Black Sheep, I think - I go there every week but am blanking out on that one) and you can get vegan tamales. Plus all the samples of fruit and bread. And wine and nuts. And cider and jams. It's great. Not to be missed while you're here.

See you all later!

diane

Hey Diane,

I'll see you at the Give Green Fair. I should have someone flyer for our Vegan Holiday Festival at the Farmer's Market on Saturday.

See you this weekend.

Thanks for the tips for Liz too, she'll have lots of great things to do here in Portland.

Robert,

Dont apologize for the rain! It's part of what makes Portland so unique & great. And dont worry L&K - city tours can happen in virtually any weather. Unless we get our annual 1/4 inch of snow... In which case all hell breaks loose & it's wisest to stay inside, well away from any street side walls!

Diane,

We're sorry that we missed you last night too! I might stop by the PSU market - when will ya'll be there? Do ya'll have a stand at the market?

Edited by loveliberate

Awesome. I just printed 2,500 flyers but they are all gone now so I'll print some more and maybe I can drop some off for you on Friday or something like that.

Don't worry, we used recyled paper and all the flyers have been distributed to people and places who will use them and then re-use or recycle them