fallen vegan-- sniff sniff

Your Dr. is a piece of POOP!

they know nothing about diet and nutrition..absolutely nothing!

If you don't wish to eat dairy,then don't!

A dentist!! Who the heck is he to suggest nutritional advice.

I didn't read all of the posts, but hopefully you have been convinced to go back to being vegan. trust me, you will get you calcium from a plant based diet.

Good Luck!

Despite what the milk producers and calcium supplement makers want us to believe, calcium is not necessarily the most important nutrient for bone and teeth strength. And milk is most definitely NOT a good source of it, because any benefits are counterbalanced by the protein that can cause the body to excrete calcium.

Many allopathic doctors are as influenced by the propaganda/advertising/'research findings' of vested interests as is the general public.

Dr. Fuhrman recommends increasing vitamin D rather than calcium, and getting calcium mainly from greens. (See www.drfuhrman.com ). But watch his "Osteo sun' vite: it's NOT vegan, because it contains cholecalciferol/D3 . Though his other supplements are vegan.

Greens provide minerals that are essential to bone/teeth health, like boron, phosphorus, magnesium.

Better than milk would be wheat grass or a green supplement, some apples (boron) and a good amount of big green salads.

As for the grain issue, I prefer to avoid wheat (acidifying, and overeaten in the US) and stick with healthier grains, like millet, quinoa, wild rice. I also think the USDA's 'food pyramid' should be somewhat altered, with veggies taking the big spot at the base, and grains sharing second place with fruits on the second tier.

Additionally, stronger bones are not made from taking in more calcium, but rather, from doing weight-bearing execises such as weight training and running. The fact that taking in more calcium from cow's milk is rammed down our throats from an early age by a highly-effective indoctrinal system and hasn't changed much in many decades is a testament to the power of corporate media.

But I preaching to the choir here.

• 1 month later...

You wouldn't happen to drink a lot of soda or diet soda do you?

The high phosphorous in the sodas just suck the calcium right out of you.

Also. the artificial sweeteners out there are one of the worst things for you. The new one on the market - Splenda was rejected by the FDA several times before the chemical manufacturers lobbyists finally got them to approve it.

I don't know about you (everyone), but I get sick of people ragging on pasta and bread. There is nothing wrong with whole grain pasta and bread as long as you are not slathering rich sauces or butter on them. I think that the low carb myth has invaded everyone's brain.

I concentrate on fruit and veggies but for pete's sake, whole grains are just as important.

What do ya'll think?

I agree but I get into trouble when I eat too much gluten (esp. white bread). I get tired and when I go to them gym I have to lower my weights alot and can't go on for as long as if I didn't eat gluten. But I know that alot of people don't have any problems with gluten. I also know that alot of people haven't tried to be without them to be able to spot improvements.

I still eat rice (brown, black, red), rice cakes, corn and oats (none of them have gluten) and sometimes some whole grain bread.

I don't have a big problem with grains but I must admit that when I have the cash and can go all raw without grains I feel much better...its just a little pricey getting all my calories from fruits and veggies when its a breeze to bump up my raw oats or buckwheat 500calories. I'm not saying everyone should avoid them but I think everything available in grains is more attainable in veggies other than the higher complex carb content and the so called "complete proteins"