Best SINGLE action to curb global warming

is to green your diet, which, according to an article published in the New Scientist on Dec 17 2005, is even more important than greening your car.

Which is why it annoyed me to no end when Leonardo DiCaprio went on Oprah to 'educate' people on global warming the other day, and not once did he or the Princeton professor mention green diets on the list of things you can do to help save the planet and retard global warming.

Gaawwd forbid Oprah should have to be told to go vegan.

Then she revealed how she drove one of the top 5 worst for the environment SUVs and said how she is part of the problem.

Gaawd how I would love to beat that woman with a clue stick and hopefully make her choke on her b-day foie gras and veal.

Here's the article in web form:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg18825304.800.html

It's fortunate that global warming is even mentioned at all. Despite Oprah being in her ivory tower, she does carry enough clout to occasionally push stories of interest to her which go contrary to the huge lobbies on Capitol Hill. I read that she did one a few years ago slamming the meat industry for their practices in which she said she would never touch beef again (or some such), then she got sued. Not sure what happened after that.

Unfortunately, however, shows are often sound bytes and the real (or complete) truth often can't be explained in detail. Sounds like this idea could, though. I didn't realize it had such a huge impact until reading this, and maybe DeCaprio didn't either. Who knows. But any steps to reduce emissions are critical, so I'm glad she approached the subject on her show at all.

I saw part of this on reruns yesterday.

Oprah did state that this is not the only show that will address the problem of global warming (which seems to be one of her new "causes célèbres"), so there's a chance that food choices will be mentioned in the future...ESPECIALLY IF VIEWERS RIGHT IN TO SUGGEST IT!

I think John Robbins would be an excellent guest to address the topic.

(though maybe 'going veg' is just too threatening to Oprah, who doesn't want to give up the 'pleasures' of chowing down on animal flesh).

One of my favorite magazines regarding sustainability has only recently (past year) addressed a plant based diet as a good step to become sustainable.

I'm not sure even the green movement will convince people to go veg. I think economics may be the only way. When we stop subsidizing these industries, when we hold them accountable for the environmental messes they create, when people start paying the true cost of meat, then maybe they will give it up, but even then they will give it up kicking & screaming.

I'm not sure even the green movement will convince people to go veg. I think economics may be the only way. When we stop subsidizing these industries, when we hold them accountable for the environmental messes they create, when people start paying the true cost of meat, then maybe they will give it up, but even then they will give it up kicking & screaming.

Exactly!!