Next Vegan Vacation Ideas?

robert

I am thinking of having the next Vegan Vacation in Venice, California possibly later this year before the weather turns too cold. Not that it gets real cold there, but anyway, we'd still be able to enjoy some sun if we went in late Sept.

The reason I was thinking of Venice is because there is a vegan fast food place I'm working with directly across from Muscle Beach. Muscle Beach is owned by the city and we can rent it or reserve it for our function, and hang out on the California Coast, in the sun, enjoy lots of vegan options in that area, and have muscle beach right there. This place (Good Karma Fast Food) will help with organizing such events.

I realized it is pretty soon after the August meet-up, but we'll have different groups of people each time I'm guessing.

I'd like to do about 4 per year.

Any thoughts or ideas?

I've never been to Venice...sounds cool...we can do our own Pumping Iron reenactment scenes while we're there too...but Venice Italy sounds better if we could manage

I'm pretty determined to do one in Venice because of the atmopshere there and the help we'll have organizing it (and we have forum members and tons of vegans in or around that area).

But I'd also like to brainstorm areas for future Vegan Vacations.

They don't all have to be in the United States, but since there are other groups who organize events and gatherings in different parts of the world, I figured we'd try to keep it to North America for now. Most of us on the forum are from the US as well so that keeps costs down and minimizes traveling complications and general costs.

Here are some places I've thought of:

Portland, OR

Venice, CA

Austin, TX

Boulder, CO

New York City, NY

I'd like to do about 4 of these each year. I may not even attend all of them but I want to sponsor and help support each Vegan Vacation.

Feel free to brainstorm locations and dates.

New Zealand - just about anywhere but maybe Wellington for its central location?

Argentina - probably in or near Cordoba or Mendoza

Costa Rica - Most anywhere but San Jose area is probably easiest

Mexico - probably Guadalajara

Switzerland - most anywhere

France - but where?

Italia - but where?

Espana - but where?

Canada - Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, Montreal and ?

US: Seattle, San Francisco, Atlanta, Minneapolis, Pittsburg AND Philadelphia, Asheville, Eugene, Olympia, Salt Lake City, Santa Cruz, Madison, Flagstaff, Albuquerque, Athens, Ann Arbor, Burlington & ?

Nice list!

We just need to find places that most people are likely to travel to and places that are low-cost destinations.

I think we'll keep them in the US for a while until they get bigger and more popular and then we can make a huge vacation out of it somewhere more exotic.

But that's just my thought.

How does Venice sound this fall?

Then somewhere in the late winter or early spring? And then back to summer.

I'm also thinking of having Portland as the "hub' and doing an annual Vegan Vacation out here since it's the #1 veggie spot and just a great city, and tons of forum members are already here.

Thoughts?

I'm not too into Venice myself, esp. so soon after V.V. here in Portland. But if things came together right who knows?

Why keep this just in the US? If the idea is to stick with affordable to travel to places that have lots of vegans and/or VB&F board members, it would seem that Vacation hotspot would be: Northwest / Northcentral Europe, Northeast US &/or southeast Canada, SW Canada, NW US & perhaps central or southern California.

Personally, I'd love to see a Vegan Vacation in SW Canada (Victoria, Vancouver or maybe even Calgary) real soon!

I'd definitely love to see an annual Vegan Vacation somewhere here in Cascadia. Besides Portland - Eugene, Seattle, Vancouver & Victoria all rate very highly for being vegan friendly.

I think the main issue would be to have people in whatever areas are chosen who can help bottomline making the Vacations happen...

Besides Robert & Venice - who else would be up for hosting a V.V.?

I'd also love to have them in other places, other countries, etc. But it is hard to find people to help coordinate things.

That is the problem....not many people step up to the plate to get involved.

So we'll probably continue to have an annual event in Portland have smaller meet-ups in a few other areas where forum members are. I'd love to go to Austin, TX sometime.

I'm still open to all suggestions, I just know from experience trying to organize it outside of the US...it was difficult. I think the main organizer has to actually live in the city the plays host, or be very familiar with it to sort out all the little things.

Anyway, keep the ideas coming!

I may be able to coordiant one here on the east coast in (OC) if there is enough interest. I know enough business owners in the area to help kick start things (you'll be able to watch us live on the internet in some places). And I have a kayak rental fleet I can donate to the week.

Sleeping arrangements can be made as well.

Michael and I are thinking to plan an entire vegan festival in Pittsburgh next summer given we stay in Pittsburgh and don't find ourself submersed in nature, camping and working retail near the beach...

It's no "vacation spot" but it's lively and we're here. Not to mention we just might be the two weirdest vegans alive. Far stretch I realize, given that many vegans are very weird but now that I'm mentioned it, curiousity should overwhelm you and you should book airline tickets immediately. If we are the weirdest, you certainly would want the honor of being the first in line to stay at our pad-a-dilly-oh (I throw that in just to verify our nerdy weird personas).

Where is Michael these days? He used to be on here more than almost anyone. I always thought he was the most-like me....the guy I seemed to have the most in common with. I guess what I'm saying, is I miss that guy

Thanks to those who have offered to host people. Building vegan communities all over is one of my new goals and I like to see the meet-ups going on in Germany, Sweden, Scotland, the UK, Oregon, California, Canada, D.C. and other places.

I'd like to travel to Texas to meet up with some of ya'll soon.

The Pitt rocks...who needs good transportation and the beach...we'll have veganmadre and Michael Its worth the trip just for the two of them!

The Pitt rocks...who needs good transportation and the beach...we'll have veganmadre and Michael Its worth the trip just for the two of them!

I wasn't sure if you understood that Michael treating us all to dinner was actually bribery to boost our image on the site. So glad you speak the language of money.

That was pretty big bowl of udon, however...I think you owe us a few more nice words. Feel free to PM me for suggestions.

As everyone in Portland will soon discover, veganpotter is the macdaddy-o-my-goodness-he-makes-gorgeous-bowls-you-over-with-his-personality. Oh yeah.

And single chicks - he's majorly cute. (Don't worry, Michael is well aware of my Jeremy crush. )

Robert,

I understand what you mean and an annual Portland event sounds great - but who knows? After folks see how much fun we have next month, maybe a lot more folks will want to do these gatherings in there area. Plus it would be nice to have some that are smaller and more intimate mostly for forum folks & friends type events. Austin is definitely a cool town, I'd enjoy visiting again there someday.

As for outside the US, I think we could probably at least pull off a Vancouver, BC gathering! It's close enough that we can probably help the local organizers and it's Canada's #1 Vegan friendly city!

SeaSiren,

A gathering in your area would be very cool - time & money permitting, I know that I'd love to come out! It would be great to meet you plus I've always wanted to do more kayaking.

Madre,

I think a gathering with yinz down 'air in Picksburgh would be a lot of fun! ( Sorry my Pittsburghese is rusty & incomplete - I've only visited briefly... ) Pittsburgh actually reminds me a lot of (a dirtier, hillier, more crowded East Coast version) of Portland. If I were ever to live out Northeast, your city would be one the main places I'd consider.

Trivia: Did you know that Vancouver, BC also has a East End Food Coop: http://www.east-end-food.coop - just like Pittsburgh: http://www.eastendfoodcoop.com

Thanks a bunch veganmadre Pittsburgh would be great to go to...there's alot of nice country/psuedo suberb areas that I love within an hour...plus you can swim in the three rivers...might not be so healthy but its produced some of the best quarterbacks of all time so there must be some type of gross impurities in the water that can help us all get stronger.

Oh...and yes I agree that I am very very cute...nice to see some common sense in someone

• 4 weeks later...

As a new member of the board (and transient member from the Vegan -Fitness Boards) I would like to say hello to all yinz guyz.

Looking at the posts from the recent vegan vacation made me wish that I was able to attend. Its exciting to see that there are others like me wishing to have fun in a veganized environment.

Anyhoo, its great that you guys are looking for alternate locations for vacations and/or meet-ups. I would suggest having at least one left-coast and one east coast a year then use the other two to at discretion. Perhaps one across the pond to our friends in the UK/Scotland area.

I also think that the 'Burgh would be a cool place to hold one of the meetings. We can take yinz dawn to "Pants 'n Nat", then out for an iron .

Portland, OR is beautiful and I have been there at least 5 times in the past 5 years. I too, agree that Pittsburgh looks alot like Portland, but I disagree that its dirty and crowded. I believe new visitors to the area would be pleasantly surprised at what our city has to offer.

tofuPUNK,

Hello & Welcome to VB&F! Now how about an intro post - in the intro section?

Vegan Vacation was a great time - I wish all of you fine folks had been able to join us... I agree with the idea of at least having a Vegan Vacation or similar gathering per coast, per year. Having smaller mini-gatherings, say just for a weekend, would also be very cool and probably easier for first time organizers. All it takes is someone to bottomline making it happen & to get a few folks involved to help!

I'd definitely make it to a gathering in the 'Burgh if the timing worked for school/work/money, etc.

My impression of Pittsburgh is based on having been there several years back - I've heard it's been changing a lot over the last 5-10 years...

Tigress,

I've heard great things about Guadalajara and would love to see the city host a Vegan Vacation or other vegan gathering! How long has your brother lived there?

I've been around Pittsburgh alot(my dad was born there) and the dirt is kinda what kept me from going to school there...I wouldn't eat off the ground in Pittsburgh but I would in some places in Oregon...nothing against Pittsburgh other than that. As for it being crowded its more crowded than Portland but not as bad a Philly which would also be a great place other than the dirt factor

Tigress,

I've heard great things about Guadalajara and would love to see the city host a Vegan Vacation or other vegan gathering! How long has your brother lived there?

He has only lived there since April. He teaches english to businessmen. He loves it there.

I'm already planning for next year and it looks like we may try to aim for Los Angeles, CA and one in Portland, OR again.

Of course all kinds of things could change but we're bringing on other major sponsors other than just Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness.

We have ideas to have our Vegan Vacation connected with the Animal Rights Conference in L.A. and may do a Veg Stock music show as well.

It is a year away, but we're jumping on the planning now to make it a pretty Huge event.

Keep ideas coming! We can always do more than one and change locations, etc. But we'll get it all set many months before the actual vacation.

I'd like to see one in Santa Cruz (#6 on VegNews' most veggie friendly small cities), of course, and if you decide to, I could help plan it, of course...would have to be 2007 or later; I have a baby on the way and that's probably going to take most of my time in the short term...