Soy and Estrogen...

First, estrogen or estradiol or any other steroid hormone produced in the human body are not found in soy. There are _isoflavonoids_ in soy, however (check out the structure of these and compare with that of estradiol here: http://www.biovita.fi/isoflavonoids.GIF). The isoflavonoids are sometimes referred to as "phyto-estrogens" (=plant-estrogens) because they can bind

to the human estrogen receptor. This fact doesn't necessarily mean that

the isoflavonoids act in the same way as estrogen. Firstly their binding affinity for the receptor may be low compared to estrogen and secondly when they

bind they need not activate the receptor -- they could just as well block estrogen from acting at the receptor and hence have anti-estrogenic effects. Of course, there is also a chance that the isoflavonoids could act

just as estrogen in certain doses and under certain circumstances. The truth is, the issue has not been settled yet, but it is still under investigation. As far as I know (and I am certainly not an expert in the field) what we have is some observed correlation between lower risk of certain types of cancer and the intake of isoflavonoids (from soy foods). Here are two randomly selected studies (there are quite a few):

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=9950237&dopt=Abstract

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/529146

You can probably also find some results pointing out the negatives of high soy intake -- perhaps even in serious scientific journals .

To answer your questions:

Isoflavonoids are found in all soy products, as they are a natural component of the soy bean. The concentration, though, may vary significantly between different types of products.

Unless you are allergic or intolerant to soy, I see no reason for excluding this great source of protein from a good vegan diet.

I've eaten soy every since I was a baby and my hair line hasn't moved since. My hair line is so rediculously low that I will never go bald, although I wish I could so I could save money on razors. However my lack of luck with ladies must surely be related to the fact that I sweat estrogen from all the tofu I used to eat. I cannot explain it any other way.

I've tried to wash it off and even cover my body with deoderant salt but nothing seems to keep the ladies from avoiding me

• 4 weeks later...

I've eaten soy since I was about 5, and I eat it regularly, and take soy protein drinks. I have noticed that I am less competitive than other men, and less violent, and less aggressive, is this linked with estrogen levels? also my feet are size 6 wide and I have small hands.

Johnny Depp can't be 100%....if he is, there would be no space for me unless we can do the 110% deal but thats just not possible...as for you I think you must be higher unless your a 400lbs vegan tub-of-lard...vegans always start at 50% even if you've got no teeth, yellow finger/toe nails, black ear wax and inch long nose hair!!! Unless of course your on a vegan only scale in which you could start at zero but then Johnny Depp wouldn't be on it.

• 3 weeks later...
I am pretty sexy, maybe 37% on some days

Don't listen to a word of it - Richard is buff like only a multi-shurikened small-child-stabbing body-building ninja can ever aspire to be.

I have eaten soya for most of the last 2 decades, and somewhat alarmingly i have long girly hair, girly soft skin, I have failed to grow a penis, and have had extensive growth around the chest area during puberty.

(O.O) Maybe i should be scared !

soy doesn't make you grow a penis it makes your penis shrink if you already have one...and if it doesn't shrink it just never grows

It's true !

If it happened to me, it could happen to anyone.

Vegan guys be warned !

I am just thankful that Burgerking have provided me with a highly effective remedy for my unfortunate soy-related state of non penis-ownage.

I used to know this guy - after watching the Burgerking advert he grew 50 penises and developed a very manly 'grunting' style of speech, and a lumbering manner of movement - which as a REAL man he was very happy with..... BUT then he made the terrible error of eating a soy-based veggie burger, and ever since then he's spoken in a sort of falsetto voice, he minces around with a sashaying sort of gait to his walk, and all of his penises retrcated right back into him, to be consumed entirely by his soy-infected body.

• 2 months later...