Gregg Valentino's story on Channel 5 (UK)

Cristian

Hey guys,

watched a documentary on channel 5 the other night about Valentino's story which some of you may find interesting. Valentino is a bodybuilder whose arm basically exploded due to steroids abuse. He was known to have the world's biggest biceps and, frankly, looked like a human caricature. The guy gives a frank interview and admits to have been addicted to the drug, he was also dealing the stuff and was jailed for it. There are also other interesting interviews, the one with bodybuilder Steve Michalik was especially insightful. He admitted taking steroids while competing in the '70s and as a result he suffered from a heart attack and a stroke. He survived and he's now training natural bodybuilders.

They also interviewed a guy from the UK who runs an underground magazine and helpline who support steroids use. He basically reckons that steroids use has no major side-effects, he had an heart attack aged 46 but blamed it on stress and too much work.

A doctor said that this trend can be compared to anorexia in women as big guys still see themselves as being too small. Sterodis use is increasing in the UK where is not illegal to have them as long as is for personal use.

Edited by Cristian

I watched part of this and the guy was a complete and utter loon and such a bad advert for bodybuilding.

He isn't a bodybuilder, he is just a stupid guy who was off his head with steroids and still seems to think that what he did was ok and something to brag about !

It's a shame that for once a TV programme wasn't put showing bodybuilding in a good light. I thought the young boy featured with his mum was also very immature and who thought just by taking some steroids he would get big !!

Lots of bad information shown with incorrect facts. When did Steve Michalik ever beat Arnie ?

I saw it too. Quite humorous. It's repeated tomorrow ( Thursday ) at 11pm if you've get the desire to see the complete episode Tigress, or anyone in the UK ( Jonathan, Buzz? ) who missed it first time round.

Valentino is just a circus act. Is it synthol he pumps in his arms. I read an article about him once, I think it said the synthol just disolves and circulates around the body?

He used to be a natural bodybuilder and had a good physique, before going doing the freak show road.

I thought it should of showed the boy's physique as it was ( pre-steroids ) if he wanted to one day be the biggest.

It annoyed me when it constantly showed the clip of the needle and tablets, quite pointless.

Strange program - wasn't really about Valentino, bit about this kid, bit about Michalik. Bit of a mess really.

Did anyone see the one about the female bodybuilder about a year ago? That was much more interesting.

You're right Matt, I didn't think the documentary was well made. They crammed too much in 40 mins, also that bit with the english bodybuilder training for a competition was pointless.

I saw the other one with the female bodybuilder, they repeated it few months ago. That was better, it was a proper one to one documentary, don't remember her name but think she was from Cornwall.

You're right Matt, I didn't think the documentary was well made. They crammed too much in 40 mins, also that bit with the english bodybuilder training for a competition was pointless.

I thought that was really irrelevant too.

If they wanted to do a documentary on steroids, would of been more interesting to see a program where it concentrated on steroids and bodybuilders where at least it makes the muscles big, hard and ripped - not like an inflated balloon. Valentino is regarded as a joke.

Notice how he never took his top off either - because the rest of his physique would of been even worse and not in proportion, because presumably he didn't inject the same amount of synthol in the rest of his body.