Can anyone explain some good core and leg strength-builders?

lmmy

I'm currently lifting freeweights with my arms, but I don't actually know many core and leg strength-building exercises, and though I do know some, I don't know the names. I know crunches, and leg extensions while flat on your back, and lunges and squats and that's it. Can any of you helpful peepers out there give me some exercises (along with how to do them)? I'd be really grateful. Thanks in advance!

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

This site kicks butt. Just click on the muscle groups you want to work on or search for specific exercises.

I like back squats and front squats with good ol crunches for the core. Front squats also work your abs if you do em right. I love a good ol ab burn the day after i do front squats. Amazing.

This site gives directions for a lot of resistance training exercises:

http://www.exrx.net/Exercise.html

For 'core' work (rather than just 'ab" work), planks of all kinds work well. For a beginner version, get on elbows (forearm on floor) with knees on floor and hold as long as you can, with core braced. Then move to toes on floor. Then move to lifting one foot off the floor at a time. You can also do side planks, with weight on your forearm.

Functional fitness moves use the core by transferring energy from the lower body to the upper body. For example, a 'wood chop" move, done while standing, holding a medicine ball. Hold the ball above you to the right, then twist to the left while lunging down and moving the ball to the lower left (easier shown than described!).

For a real core workout, the DVD "Core Synergistics," which is part of the P90 X (Power 90 Extreme) exercise program by www.beachbody.com , is excellent.