Vegan Marathon Runner Sets Record

ronnie kray

wondering if you guys have heard about this guy. his name is Scott Jurek, and he has won 7 straight Western States (100 mile) races!

here are some excerpts from the article:

"Some say the Badwater is the most extreme running race in the world. Just 81 runners attempted it this year, and only 67 finished the course, which started 282 feet below sea level in Death Valley and finished 8,360 feet up Mount Whitney. Many competitors take almost as long as the 60-hour cutoff, and some will sleep or rest for hours at a time.

Before the race, he probably shook things up a bit when he predicted he'd win and set a record time.

...in 24 hours, 36 minutes and eight seconds, the Seattle man won the Badwater, one of ultrarunning's toughest events.

He hardly looks as if he's just run 135 miles, through 115-degree desert heat, from the lowest point in the United States to the slopes of one of its highest points, Mount Whitney.

"There are some people who thought the record was unbreakable," Kostman said. "He's definitely raised the bar."

For food, Jurek, a vegan, ate energy bars and gels, potatoes and rice balls, chased by soy protein drinks and electrolyte capsules. He consumed 60-120 calories every 20-30 minutes, mostly on the run."

you can read the whole article by clicking the headline below.

Seattle man amazes everyone in 135-mile marathon

so much for the theory that vegans don't have stamina or strength.

Yeah, I saw this and think I posted it somewhere in general discussion and it was mentioned in the Vegan Outreach newletter in the Animal Rights section, but a lot of people may have missed it, so thanks for posting it here.

I think this guy is awesome, I hadn't heard of him before until I saw that article about him winning the recent contest. I can't imagine such a grueling event!

Ronnie Kray, you should make it over to the Introductions page sometime when you get a chance and introduct yourself.

Great to have you here!

-Robert

It's ok buddy, like I said, most people probably missed it the first time. It is a pretty cool story so I hope lots of people read it.

I'd like to get in touch with that guy so I may be doing that soon.

Don't worry, there are a number of things that get posted more than once because we don't catch it the first time or 2 people post at the same time without knowing the other is posting the same thing, etc.

Where in Texas are you located? I've been to Dallas and Houston and had nice experiences both times.

• 10 months later...

A while back I heard a guy speak that did 200 miles I think. He is from SF and was talking about running on junk food because he cant get enough calories from "healthy" foods... Interesting this guy seems to eat decently while running.

Cool find : )

more than anything I'm amazed with how lean he is...normally the best extreme endurance athletes(aka triple ironmans, 100mile runners, open ocean swimmers) tend to try to keep a decent amount of fat on them. I know he eats quite a bit during his races but its still quite remarkable that he doesn't need much body fat.