Proper 4 Split program? (home training)

chrs

Hello every1!

This one is my first post. I'm vegan since two years now and began fitness trainig 8 month ago. I ask myself if I work with a proper training program. I'm doing a 4 day split from ironsport homepage.

I train only at home and have no possibility to go the gym.

I change if possible barbell and dumbbell exercises every week. I also change the type of exercise weekly. I have all exercise from ExRx.

Here is my training plan:

Mo: Back/Biceps

Brabell bent over row 15/15/15

Barbell bent arm pullover 10/8/6

Dumbbell lying row 15/12/10

Barbell curls 10/8/6

Barbell preacher curls 12/10/8

Concentration curls 10/8/6

Tu: Chest/Triceps

Barbell bench press 10/8/6

Dumbbell bench press 10/8/6

Fly 12/10/8

Barbell close grip bench press 10/8/6

Dumbbell triceps extensions 12/10/8

Bench dip

Wed: rest

Thu: Hips/thighs Chest

Barbell bent knee good morning 15/15/15

Barbell full squat 15/15/15

Barbell Lunge 10/8/6

Jack Knife

crunches

Fr: Shoulders/Trapezius Neck

Brabell behind neck press 10/8/6

Barbell military press 8/6

Barbell upright row 12/10/8

Dumbell lateral Raise 10/8

dumbell front lateral rais 10/10/8

Barbell Shrug 20/20/20

Dumbell Shrug 15/15/15

weighted neck extension 12/10/8

weighted neck flexions 12/10/8

So here are some questions:

- I dunno know if i train to much.

- I think I make not enough progress with my Pectoralis and Biceps.

- therefore i'm not sure if i should do some extra exercise for those

(maybe one set of each muscle on friday?)

I would appriciate every comment. Thx alot.

chris

P.S. sorry my english isn't that good.

Edited by chr!s

Hello and thx for the answer.

What do you think about an extra set of biceps-training fridays? (5/5/5) Or would it be better to do a few more reps on Monday? I read that 9 reps should be the limit for one muscle a week.

How important is Cardio for gaining weight? I also do no proper warm-up.

Maybe I should think a about my nutrition? I sit at my desk the whole day long. I eat only 1-2 very small meals until after the training. Postworkoutnutrition contains a variety of beans (soy, kidney, chickpeas), soy, tofu and rice. 2 hours later I regularly eat some nuts. Probably I eat too much after the workoutprogram and too less during the day?

I also take some supplements. Small soy protein-shakes at morning, noon, one before workout and a bigger one after work out. After training i also take some dextro. Additionaly some multivitamines during the day. I drink 4 to 5 bottles of water a day.

Cheers!

Chris

What do you think about an extra set of biceps-training fridays? (5/5/5) Or would it be better to do a few more reps on Monday? I read that 9 reps should be the limit for one muscle a week.

I would rather consider adding more sets for legs - you allready have double the volume on arms compared to legs, which might be a bit unbalanced.

How important is Cardio for gaining weight? I also do no proper warm-up.

Cardio is allways a good idea for general health and cardio fitness.

Maybe I should think a about my nutrition? I sit at my desk the whole day long. I eat only 1-2 very small meals until after the training. Postworkoutnutrition contains a variety of beans (soy, kidney, chickpeas), soy, tofu and rice. 2 hours later I regularly eat some nuts. Probably I eat too much after the workoutprogram and too less during the day?

If you want to gain weight you should eat often. 1-2 very small meals only before training is definitely to little, and that's regardless of wether you are trying to gain or lose weight.

Hi Bronco

I'm about 188cm/76kg (28y). I have this unusuall eating habit since months now because I'm hanging all day long at my desk. If I eat too much during the day I get tired. I know that this really isn' the way it should be but on the other hand I think that I'm not under normal weight. I also make progress in gaining weight.

At morning I'm absolutley not hungry and I would feel kinda strange if I force myself to eat something. First little meal at about 12 to 13 (apple and some bars) second about 5 to 6 p.m. Really big meal after workout and as I already worte 2 hours later some nuts. Totall Calorinintake about 2000-3000.

Do you think I have to eat more or should I change my eating habits for optimzing gaining weight?!

Hey Dude,

I unfortunately have no possibility for pullups. Would you recommend a few more reps or another set of exercise instead (incline or something like that)?

I've tried allready some deadlifts but this one of those exercises which accuracy of performance is really hard for me (and I have no proper mirror for watching myself doing this kind of exercise) . Should I maybe make some progress with hack-squats first?

Thx alot

Hi.

I agree with Bronco.

In regards to your questions, you say you've worked out for 8 months now. How is the progress so far? Did you get stronger and/or bigger? If yes, good

Many people tend to do too many sets for arms, especially when arms are a relative weakness. I wouldn't add more exercises, sets or reps, instead i'd cut at least half of it.

For form on deadlift, it would be good if you could get someone to watch you. Or take a video. The most important thing is to keep your lower back straight, the rest will follow. Try to arch your lower back to over-straighten it and look up, when you lift drive your heels into the floor, push your hips to the front and throw your head back.

Hi Daywalker,

I started with a real unsystematic type of training. I did too much reps and sets, and neglect my legs and rest days. Altogether I did everything wrong although I really cared about the right performance. I began to write down my work-out 3 or 4 months ago. Four weeks ago I realized that this is really too much.

My decision for the 4 Split based on the amount of training. I have enough time and motivation. I also think that I need to train that much to balance my desk work. If I'm forced to rest for 5-7 days my back begin to hurt.

Progress so far: I think that I gain up to 5kg/11lbs (I dunno really know if this is okey and I should be pleased with this progress)

Thx for the deadlift hint! I'll try that. I'll try to do more for my legs. I really don't know if I should cut down my arm exercises?!? I think that I'll do no progress with arms.

Willpeavy: I'll try to work on that. I'm only aware of Barbell Pullovers for lats

Thx alot dudes, it's nice to be here

regards, chris