Incline crunches

Hey

So I am going to a gym now (conveniently located in the building where I work), and they have a bench that inclines down, and one of those attachments you wrap your knees around and put your feet under, for leverage or something. Anyway, the incline crunches in this setup rather hurt my back, and don't seem to work. What is a good way to do crunches with added resistance/incline, etc, that is safe? I didn't really see this specifically in the ab thread below...

Thanks,

Joel

Incline crunches put more pressure on your back if your abs aren't developed enough for them. If this is the case then try holding a dumbbell on your upper chest and do flat bench crunches. Increase the weight and build up, then switch to inclines when you can flat bench crunch with 25 extra pounds

• 3 weeks later...

Just be a bit careful with Incline crunches, they are an exercise that is well known for causing serious lower back problems. I have a relative that suffered Ruptured discs, serious amonst of time off work and ultimately having vertebrae fused, from 1 session at the gym where he did incline crunches (An exercise he often did)...

Flat crutches, leg raises etc, are better alternatives I think...

Actually, aren't these known as 'decline' crunches (they are in every book I have). "Incline" crunches wouldn't be too useful (unless you're talking about lower abs) because your head would be higher than your legs and crunching wouldn't work against gravity.

I never did anything except crunches and static contractions for my abs. Ok, sometimes a bit variation, but all exercises on the floor. I think extra resistance is not necessary, if your core is very strong, you can start doing other bodyweight exercises, like static holds.