Pittsburgh Vegan Meetup - Pittsburgh's Coolest Vegans!

michaelhobson

if either of you two come to the burgh, i will whip up a special outfit just for yinz. one part american flag pants, two parts sleveless shirt, one part aviator shades, and a bandana with lightning bolts on it. welcome to pittsburgh

Haha, awesome. I am planning on going for New Year's.

Alright Wannalift, if Ed's making it over for New Year's, you have to come too. Is the video store open that night? Then you'll surely be in the neighborhood anyway.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://vegan.meetup.com/399/photos/

http://photos4.meetupstatic.com/photos/event/c/4/c/a/event_890378.jpeg

http://photos4.meetupstatic.com/photos/event/c/4/c/b/event_890379.jpeg

http://photos3.meetupstatic.com/photos/event/c/4/c/c/event_890380.jpeg

http://photos3.meetupstatic.com/photos/event/c/4/c/d/event_890381.jpeg

http://photos3.meetupstatic.com/photos/event/c/4/c/e/event_890382.jpeg

if either of you two come to the burgh, i will whip up a special outfit just for yinz. one part american flag pants, two parts sleveless shirt, one part aviator shades, and a bandana with lightning bolts on it. welcome to pittsburgh

My wife's from Pittsburgh & she says that ya need to make sure you have a mullet to go with the clothes...

• 4 weeks later...
Anyway, our Pittsburgh Vegan Meetup is really taking off. We have 25 members in our first two weeks!

Wow, I posted that only 5 days ago. We now have 36 members!

http://vegan.meetup.com/399/

Woo Hoo! You rock, my radical co-organizer! I love you!

Another month past and we're up to 48 members! Not bad, but we're going to start a little more aggressive recruting this month. We have an awesome core group and some good events behind us now, we're ready to expand.

Our New Year's Eve party was a big success with 22 in attendance including 8 children. It was nice to offer a family friendly party. There was plenty of alcohol, but it was consumed in reasonable moderation. We also have a number of members who do not drink, so it was nice to offer a place where there was no expectation of drinking and no pressure. It wasn't even mentioned really. Awesome!

We're excited about a new place in town that just opened. http://www.doublewidegrill.com , but they don't have their menu up yet. They are going to be one of the most vegan friendly restaurants in town with seitan hot wings, pulled seitan sandwich and vegan pot pie topped with mashed potatos. Even better is that they actually installed a separate grill and fryer for us vegan freaks! This place is huge and has 20 beers on tap. Too bad they aren't all veg, but at least they went out of their way to cater to vegans!

Awesome work! 48 members already! Well done, well done indeed!

I may have to make a trek out there sometime this summer. We'll see.

But keep on growing and networking. I know all about being aggressive with recruiting! I've spammed Myspace.com with Vegan Bodybuilding banners and bulletins more than any person should! I also do a lot in the community to bring people together and it has been great.

All the best and cheers to future success!

I miss that place, even though we only got take out the one night I was there.

Hehe, I ordered the chickpea chili burrito, but the waiter mixed it up with anohter in our group and I ended up with the super burrito. Basically the chickpea chili burrito plus spinach, tofu and more veggies. It was HUGE! YUM!!! It was a good mistake, I gave him a bigger tip.

Great! Eat Big, get big, and throw big parties! Michael, you are the East Coast meet-up guy!

I've got things under control out West, we've got you out East, Big has worked on some things in Texas, the Germans have been meeting up on occasion and we need others to step up the plate! Thanks for all you are doing by bringing people together.

Great stuff!

We need some people in the southeast. Bunch of carnivores down here. I only have 1 vegetarian friend, other than that the only ones I know of are VBB memebers. There are quite a few vege's and vegans living around here, mostly adventists who stick to themselves.

I should work on getting stuff together around here. Lots of hiking and camping to do around here, maybe I could.

I try to recruit new members all the time. I really work hard at it because I enjoy building up a community. It benefits us all, not just me. So many great things have come from just our small online community here. Many people have met and have become partners, or roommates, or friends, or neighbors, etc. A bunch of us have made a lot of friends, found work partners, traveling buddies, etc.

So I know a bunch of you were recruited by me from myspace (mostly) and a handful of other sites.

I'll work to bring more people from your area to the forum. I know people are out there and thanks to myspace, it is easy to find more vegans

Hopefully we'll get something going in the Southeast soon too!

I'm going to start looking around college, probably go make copies of those small VBB flyers you sent me a while ago. Put them on some billboards at school. If you find anyone on myspace, feel free to keep a decent record and show me, I would like to work on getting things going down here.

Awesome, thanks! I do a lot of flyering as well, and ship them all over the world with DVD and t-shirt orders.

Thanks for helping spread the word. The stronger the community the better for all of us.

I'll try to keep a record for you.

Other neat sites are:

www.tribe.net

www.care2.com

and a whole bunch of vegan forums from vegan freaks, to veganrepresent, to veggie boards, etc. Not all the members have an interest in fitness or bodybuilding but some of those forums have thousands of members.

When:

Saturday, February 10, 2007, 4:00 PM

Where:

Hidden Valley Resort

Route 31

Hidden Valley , PA 15502

814-443-8000

Description:

Hidden Valley Resort

It would be fun get out and do something fun with the group besides just eating. With a group of at least 15, snow tubing at Hidden Valley is $12 a person. The snow tubing session is from 4-6 pm and then we will head to Maggie's Mercantile for their famous Saturday night buffet. The buffet costs $15 a person.

Hidden Valley is located an hour away from the city of Pittsburgh. Coming from the west, take the PA Turnpike to Exit 91 (Donegal), then Route 31 east for 8 miles to Hidden Valley Resort.

Maggie's Mercantile is located about 15 minutes from Hidden Valley. Take Route 31 west for 8 miles. Make a slight right onto PA-711 for 4.4 miles. Maggie's is located at 1262 Route 711

Stahlstown, PA 15687 724-593-5056.

RSVP

When:

Saturday, February 10, 2007, 4:00 PM

Where:

Hidden Valley Resort

Route 31

Hidden Valley , PA 15502

814-443-8000

Description:

Hidden Valley Resort

It would be fun get out and do something fun with the group besides just eating. With a group of at least 15, snow tubing at Hidden Valley is $12 a person. The snow tubing session is from 4-6 pm and then we will head to Maggie's Mercantile for their famous Saturday night buffet. The buffet costs $15 a person.

Hidden Valley is located an hour away from the city of Pittsburgh. Coming from the west, take the PA Turnpike to Exit 91 (Donegal), then Route 31 east for 8 miles to Hidden Valley Resort.

Maggie's Mercantile is located about 15 minutes from Hidden Valley. Take Route 31 west for 8 miles. Make a slight right onto PA-711 for 4.4 miles. Maggie's is located at 1262 Route 711

Stahlstown, PA 15687 724-593-5056.

RSVP

Sounds like a lot of fun. Too bad it's 3 1/2 hours away. And here I am with no driver's license and no veg friends to take me.