LOST TV series (includes spoilers)

JW

So who is locke now? Obviously jacob's nemesis from the opening sequence of the shoe but who is that guy?

Esau? Set? Apep? I think you hit on it later in the post when you said we're getting Biblical. This is a big ol' good vs evil battle. I think the identies of Jacob and his nemesis depend on which allegory you choose. The statue and hieroglyphics give us Sobek/Set and Ra/Apep (and others, since Egyptian mythology is rather complicated). The names give us Jacob/Esau. I think they all might fit. I'm also seeing Richard and smokey as counterparts, just as Jacob and the Enemy.

I was surprised ben was able to kill jacob. I shouldn't be surprised by anything that ben does already but he still gets me. So jacob hand selected all of these people as if he knew what they would do with their lives before they even do it. If he know all of this why let linus come and see him.

My guess is that he doesn't have a choice. Traditionally, good is in favor of free will. Based on the intro and his emphasis on choices, Jacob certainly seems to be a believer in it. And maybe that's the loophole. Ben made a choice, of his own free will, to kill Jacob.

So I guess Juliet is really dead but I don't think the bomb is going to end up having the desired effect where all of this never happened and they will just be in LA in 2007 because why bring the whole other group of people to meet the others etc last night if they are just not going to exist now.

Yeah, seems kinda pointless to do all the Jacob/Locke/Ben stuff in 2007 if everything was going to reset.

We never really found out why richard or jacob don't age. so are the new people there to try to get charles back on the island? are desmond? walt? going to have to save them after the blast? looks like we will be back to the love triangle now that juliet is gone. i am going to miss sayid if he died too. so what do you all think?

Jacob doesn't age because he's some sort of god-like being. Exactly which one, we don't know yet. Richard doesn't age because Jacob has given him that gift, which tells us a bit more about Jacob. The new people don't seem to be working for Widmore. They seem more like Island cultists than anything else, more like Richard. I hope we're not back to the love triangle, because I hate Kate.

I'm more interested in the fake Locke. It seems they've all been manipulated by Jacob's enemy and maybe smokey this whole time. What if the apparitions -- Christian and Alex, in particular -- have all been Jacob's enemy? He's been manipulating them since day one, since the moment they crashed, all to kill Jacob. He made sure that Locke survived the bullet wound and was told he would have to die. He showed Locke how to get off the Island so that he would end up dying and returning with Ben. He needed Locke to die and come back because he can only appear as those who are dead on the Island, and he needed to be Locke in order to bring Ben to Jacob.

But, as Jacob implied at the very beginning, this isn't the end. There's only one end, and it hasn't happened yet. "Everything else is progress." I think he wanted Ben to kill him. I think that was the point of never going to see him, of giving him that final push.

Also, what's with the guitar case? We still don't know what's in it, but Jacob sent it with Hurley to the Island. Who was in the Cabin, and does it matter that the ash was disturbed? Is the title card permanently white now?

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just thought of something else.

Sobek was thought of as an avatar of Amun. Amun merged with Ra to become Amun-Ra, after that, Sobek was referred to as Sobek-Ra.

RA = Richard Alpert?

hmmmm probably not coincidence

nice catch!

Set was eventually demonized by the Egyptians, and images of Sobek replaced Set on temples. Sobek was a fertility god, and the repairer of evil. Maybe the guy who Jacob was talking to at the beginning is Set, and Jacob is Sobek.

I'm guessing "the other guy" who looks like Locke now, was the guy they showed with Jacob who said he wants to kill him.

why wouldn't they reveal his name? ARGH!

They aren't allowed to /aren't able to kill each other. Maybe it's some god (or whatever they are) rule they've got. The gods are not able to kill each other and the loophole was that Ben, a mortal, did it and not Locke-guy.

This is interesting given all of the fertility issues on the island. Mother's dying. Babies being stolen etc. Perhaps Claire will be back into the story this season.

The people from the plane who had Locke's body are some sort of Sobekite cult.

interesting... The reason I thought that they worked for one side (ben vs. charles) was because when they had miles in the van they were telling him he was going to work for the wrong side. How did they know about richard? where to find jacob etc? What language where they speaking?

As far as the hand-picking, I'm thinking maybe original guesses weren't so far off, and the island is some type of purgatory where their souls are being judged, or they are making up for the wrongs they've done in their lives.

so they are going from lost souls? to saved souls through island?

Jacob doesn't age because he's some sort of god-like being. Exactly which one, we don't know yet. Richard doesn't age because Jacob has given him that gift, which tells us a bit more about Jacob. The new people don't seem to be working for Widmore. They seem more like Island cultists than anything else, more like Richard. I hope we're not back to the love triangle, because I hate Kate.

just curious why you think they new group are a cult? I am just not seeing it yet... Why do you hate kate?

I'm more interested in the fake Locke. It seems they've all been manipulated by Jacob's enemy and maybe smokey this whole time. What if the apparitions -- Christian and Alex, in particular -- have all been Jacob's enemy? He's been manipulating them since day one, since the moment they crashed, all to kill Jacob. He made sure that Locke survived the bullet wound and was told he would have to die. He showed Locke how to get off the Island so that he would end up dying and returning with Ben. He needed Locke to die and come back because he can only appear as those who are dead on the Island, and he needed to be Locke in order to bring Ben to Jacob.

I agree

But, as Jacob implied at the very beginning, this isn't the end. There's only one end, and it hasn't happened yet. "Everything else is progress." I think he wanted Ben to kill him. I think that was the point of never going to see him, of giving him that final push.

I agree it was weird.

Also, what's with the guitar case? We still don't know what's in it, but Jacob sent it with Hurley to the Island. Who was in the Cabin, and does it matter that the ash was disturbed? Is the title card permanently white now?

I thought the guitar was going to be something about charlie that would convince hurley to go back to the island. Maybe hurley needed to bring the guitar on the plane to recreate similar circumstances as charlie had the guitar on the original flight. Last person we saw in the cabin was "christian" or whoever is impersonating him. If it is this "evil" side maybe that is why the ash was diturbed. I think it does mean something because they wouldn't mention it otherwise.

I doubt the title card is going to be white now although it was a nice touch.

just curious why you think they new group are a cult?

Mainly because

a) they all seemed to be acting towards some common goal

b) they seemed to know exactly where they were going and what they were looking for

c) they told Lupitas that he was a "candidate"

d) They asked for "Ricardus" and asked him what lies beneath the shadow of the statue.

just curious why you think they new group are a cult?

Mainly because

a) they all seemed to be acting towards some common goal

b) they seemed to know exactly where they were going and what they were looking for

c) they told Lupitas that he was a "candidate"

d) They asked for "Ricardus" and asked him what lies beneath the shadow of the statue.

I missed that reference to lupitas. I was taking their knowledge that someone, who they worked for told them all about the island. As well as there working together.

I just started watching Lost through netflix. Just cleared the 8th episode. It is surprisingly good for network TV. I'm looking forward to working my through the series.

I feel the same way I was shocked with how good it was for netwok TV. Probably the best thing since Twin Peaks IMO. Anyway enjoy your netflixing, it is easier to watch that way because you don't have to wait between episodes.

yeah now that lost is off for awhile what show are we going to chat about until lost returns in the fall. In the summer I love to watch It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. I find it hysterically funny. Anyone else watch? Or have any suggestions?

yeah now that lost is off for awhile what show are we going to chat about until lost returns in the fall. In the summer I love to watch It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. I find it hysterically funny. Anyone else watch? Or have any suggestions?

It doesn't start again until January of 2010.

It doesn't start again until January of 2010.

I went though 2 discs of Season 1 this weekend. No need to rush if they are not going to make new ones for the rest of the year.

just curious why you think they new group are a cult? I am just not seeing it yet... Why do you hate kate?

I just think they seem like cultists. Secretive, obsessive, violent, dedicated to a cause, and with mysterious questions. As for Kate, there's no good reason. She just plain irritates me. It's not like she killed my dog or anything. I just think she's whiny and irritating. And she's nowhere near hot enough for these guys to be fighting over.

Last person we saw in the cabin was "christian" or whoever is impersonating him. If it is this "evil" side maybe that is why the ash was diturbed. I think it does mean something because they wouldn't mention it otherwise.

Agreed, I think it was the bad guy using the cabin. I'm just wondering whether the ash was to keep things in or out, and if so, what? Oh well, I'm sure we'll get the answers next season.

I think Juliet is very attractive. Which is weird, because I don't normally go for blondes *gasp*, and when I do, I usually go for the barbie type bottle blondes (probably because they infest Arizona and California, which is not necessarily a bad thing ). Juliet is different though. She's got this calm, sweet energy about her. I like that.

Don't know but for what it is worth I think that both kate and juliet are attractive. They have to be to keep up with the smoking Sawyer Jack Duo.

Ugh, I'm so sick of Kate, with her freaky Steven Tyler mouth and incessant whining. And normally I love freckled brunettes. Give me Juliet any day. Or Sun. Or even Rose or zombie Shannon.

Don't know but for what it is worth I think that both kate and juliet are attractive. They have to be to keep up with the smoking Sawyer Jack Duo.

Ugh, I'm so sick of Kate, with her freaky Steven Tyler mouth and incessant whining. And normally I love freckled brunettes. Give me Juliet any day. Or Sun. Or even Rose or zombie Shannon.

Haha @ freaky Steven Tyler mouth! I noticed that too in some angles and it kinda weirds me out as well.

Sun is probably a freak! It's always the quiet ones....

And Shannon.... mmmmmm nom nom nom......

JW, you may have noticed I LOVE women, just a little bit!

Yeah buddy!