No hope for Iraq?

michaelhobson

There wasn't much news coverage this week as the american occupation handed over control of Najaf to the local iraqi authorities. What is most shocking is the ceremony that took place...

NAJAF, Iraq, Dec. 20 — They slit the rabbit’s belly, ripped it open and feasted on the still beating heart. The commandos of the Iraqi Army were celebrating. The Americans had handed over control of Najaf Province...

As soldiers paraded by a reviewing grandstand, commandos with their faces blackened gathered for a demonstration of their courage.

Each man reached into his right pocket, pulled out a frog and bit its head off. They threw the squirming legs to the ground as the group’s leader held aloft a live rabbit. He slit the belly and plunged his mouth into the gash. The carcass was then passed around to the rest of the soldiers, who took their own bites.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/21/world/middleeast/21najaf.html?ref=middleeast

I hope this is not the third war coming...

No, the third war is coming in Iran. Bush has started sending more aircraft carriers to Iran's coast. My own personal opinion is that Iran will be next. It would complete a land bridge between Bush's buddies in Saudi Arabia and the emerging mega-consumer of oil, China. Take a look at a map of the region, Iran is the only thing standing in the way now of an oil pipeline between Saudi Arabia and China.

http://www.navytimes.com/story.php?f=1-292925-2438831.php

Stennis group could leave early for gulf deployment

Extra strike group presence would send message to Iran

By William H. McMichael and Christopher P. Cavas

Staff writers

The aircraft carrier John C. Stennis, shown here during pre-deployment training earlier this year, could be sent to the Middle East as soon as the first week of January. — MC3 Paul Perkins, Navy

The aircraft carrier John C. Stennis and its strike group are preparing to leave for the Persian Gulf as soon as the first week of January if ordered to do so, Pentagon sources say.

The surge deployment would serve as a show of force aimed at demonstrating that despite its occupation of Iraq, the U.S. could strike a troublesome Iran. The U.S. and the United Nations want to sanction Iran over its continued efforts to enrich uranium and what the U.S. says is continued furtive support for insurgents fighting in Iraq.

I hope this is not the third war coming...

No, the third war is coming in Iran. Bush has started sending more aircraft carriers to Iran's coast. My own personal opinion is that Iran will be next. It would complete a land bridge between Bush's buddies in Saudi Arabia and the emerging mega-consumer of oil, China. Take a look at a map of the region, Iran is the only thing standing in the way now of an oil pipeline between Saudi Arabia and China.

http://www.navytimes.com/story.php?f=1-292925-2438831.php

Stennis group could leave early for gulf deployment

Extra strike group presence would send message to Iran

By William H. McMichael and Christopher P. Cavas

Staff writers

The aircraft carrier John C. Stennis, shown here during pre-deployment training earlier this year, could be sent to the Middle East as soon as the first week of January. — MC3 Paul Perkins, Navy

The aircraft carrier John C. Stennis and its strike group are preparing to leave for the Persian Gulf as soon as the first week of January if ordered to do so, Pentagon sources say.

The surge deployment would serve as a show of force aimed at demonstrating that despite its occupation of Iraq, the U.S. could strike a troublesome Iran. The U.S. and the United Nations want to sanction Iran over its continued efforts to enrich uranium and what the U.S. says is continued furtive support for insurgents fighting in Iraq.

i meant third global war, iraq, iran, then china, who knows?

Am I reading this right? They bit the heads off of frogs?

Yep, you got it! Of course, that was only for the enlisted guys. The officers sliced open a living rabbit and ate it's still-beating heart!

it is sick!

----

speaking of war, look what i've found on youtube --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5vuci_pt5Q

They are also gonna be doing a test draft in 09' I'm not sure what this consists of but it probably won't be good, especially if we dig ourselves deeper in this whole

They will be making it more difficult to dodge the draft...so that may not work ...I'm thinking maybe sanctions or new taxes if Canada would take people...but thats only if our military is really strained...personally I think its strained now but if the death totals remain really low the same people will just be forced to keep re-enlisting

They will be making it more difficult to dodge the draft...so that may not work ...I'm thinking maybe sanctions or new taxes if Canada would take people...but thats only if our military is really strained...personally I think its strained now but if the death totals remain really low the same people will just be forced to keep re-enlisting

You think they might not have a "test draft"?

Maybe...I think the Bush people are calling it a test draft so people aren't gonna be suprised when its issued...then if its actually required then they'll say it was just a test but in this situation we need to make it a real draft...that will give them months of calm(or more calm) americans while they decide what to do.

• 2 weeks later...
NAJAF, Iraq, Dec. 20 — They slit the rabbit’s belly, ripped it open and feasted on the still beating heart. The commandos of the Iraqi Army were celebrating. The Americans had handed over control of Najaf Province...

As soldiers paraded by a reviewing grandstand, commandos with their faces blackened gathered for a demonstration of their courage.

Each man reached into his right pocket, pulled out a frog and bit its head off. They threw the squirming legs to the ground as the group’s leader held aloft a live rabbit. He slit the belly and plunged his mouth into the gash. The carcass was then passed around to the rest of the soldiers, who took their own bites.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/21/world/middleeast/21najaf.html?ref=middleeast

I watched a documentary on Saddam's Iraq about a decade ago and it showed some of Saddam's elite troops/commando's/bodyguard units - can't remember which exactly - in training. Part of that training involved eating a dog alive.

It showed footage of several men literally taking chunks out of the still live dog with their own teeth. Never forget the look of pure terror on that dogs face.

I see this as a terrible thing but no different from your regular neighbor going out to get fresh sushi which from "good" sushi places...often comes from animals being kept alive in the restaurants