Programme/exercise's advice needed.

So it is coming up to the point where I need to change my programme again...any advice/suggestions?

I am currently doing a two day split.

Day 1:

Bench Press

Deadlift

Tricep Extension/Skullcrushers or Bicep Curls

Calf Raises

Incline Crunchs

V-Ups

Day 2:

Squats

Chin ups

Dips

Military Press

Tricep Extension/Skullcrushers or Bicep Curls

Incline Crunchs

V-Ups

The arm exercises I do in rotation, i.e Day 1: Tricep Extensions, Day 2: Skullcrushers, Day 3: Bicep Curls, Day 4 back to Tricep Extensions etc.

Right current thinking for a new programme;

Day 1.

Chest press

Dumbbell Shoulder Press

Bent Over Row

Tricep/Bicep exercise as before but switching to dumbbell curls and changing my grip for skullcrushers I think.

Calf Raises

Incline Crunches

Leg-hip raises

Day 2:

Squats

Chest dips

Upright Row

Seated Row

Tricep/Bicep exercise as before.

Incline Crunches

Leg-hip raises

Comments?

The first routine was better than the second one.

May I ask why you have only two workout days?

If I were in your position I would split it into three days, something like this:

Day 1:

Squat

Push press

Seated dumbell shoulder press

Chins

Curls

Calf work

Day 2:

Bench

Narrow grip bench

Barbell bent over rows

Lots of ab work

Day 3:

Deadlift

Powercleans (if you can learn them, they are one of the best exercises)

Grip work

Chins

You don't need to do shrugs really - heavy deadlifts and rack lockouts (for grip) will give you a monster neck. I very rarely shrug and my neck is over 20inches.

Other exercises to avoid are virtually any machine exercise. Exceptions are lat pulldowns (useful if you are working towards chins) and calf stuff. I would honestly disregard all others.

Avoid flyes, either front side rear or chest. Your shoulder just isn't meant to function like that and my feeling is that you are putting yourself at high injury risk. Same goes for front raises. All you need for shoulders are push presses and strict presses.

Jonathan

Grip work is basically anything that targets the strength of your grip. It's pretty important to have a strong grip in order so that you do not have to use straps for deadlifts or anything else.

This is a video and instruction of how to do a full clean. You want to do exactly the same, but without the full front squat. At most, drop to a quarter squat to catch the bar.

Regarding lack of dips, to be honest I just forgot about them! I don't do them myself so they just don't stick in my mind! If you want to do them, put them in on day 2.

Jonathan

So it is coming up to the point where I need to change my programme again...any advice/suggestions?

I am currently doing a two day split.

The question is, why do you need to change your routine???

The 2-split looked good, i agree that rows are missing though. How many sets do you do on each exercise? to muscle failure? and what is the rep range?

For bodybuilding purposes, the ruleof thumb is to work out the first 6months in a full body workout, then change to a 2-split, later change to 3- or more splits. Personally, i like full body and 2-splits best, but a 3-split every now and then to change things up is ok.

I reckon your current split looks good, but Jono's suggested plan is ok too if you fancy a change. I wouldn't bother with chins twice a week though, and don't reckon seated dumbell shoulder press is a great plan after push pressing. Depends on how much volume you like to do?

why change my routine? To stop boredom/it becoming too mundane...and because I thought it was good practice to change things around every 6 weeks or so.

I do 5 sets on each exercise, 2 warm up sets. Then 3 sets of ideally 6 reps (although I sometimes don't make the full 6). Sometimes I will lift 3 x 8 reps which usually means it is time to up the weight.

I basically do, do full body routines (chest, shoulders, back, legs, arms, abs). Just 2 different routines currently to keep it varied.