Cardio - Rowing machine

nobbi

I was wondering if cardio with a rowing machine goes together with bodybuilding. I try to loose fat and instead of running I will try rowing for a while. I have read that with rowing you use 80% of all muscles. So, can I get overtrained with bodybuilding and rowing?

And what are your experiences with rowing versus running? I know that running should burn more fat, but what kind of experiences do you have?

Nobbi

I get absolutely knackered from doing rowing. I can bike for a relatively long time, and I can jog for a short time. But I can row for barely any time at all. Maybe I have it on too high-resistance, but I had it on pretty low. Everywhere that I read, they recommend cycling rather than other forms of cardio. But I don't know really myself. When using the display on the rowing machine, it says that a high amount of calories are burnt when compared to bikes or jogging / running. Hopefully someone who doesn't suck will have more coherent advice

Yes, Rowing is good for bodybuilding and you are correct on the muscles aspect. It is actually better than running as running can cause orthopedic* stress.

*SKELETON AND JOINTS! So watch out.

I hear more and more about the dangers of doing too much running. Also I hear lots about martial artists having their joints (especially their hip joints) ground down which eventually really cripples them.

Richard,

but what about rowing and damaged knees? I have workout yesterday and did rowing for 40 minutes. I don't feel pain in my knees, but I feel some "stress" let's say. I have never problems while running. Is it because I have to get used to the rowing movement?

Richard,

but what about rowing and damaged knees? I have workout yesterday and did rowing for 40 minutes. I don't feel pain in my knees, but I feel some "stress" let's say. I have never problems while running. Is it because I have to get used to the rowing movement?

I can only relay what I've heard, which might be inaccurate. If you've not done rowing for that length of time before, then I'd say it's normal to feel a lot of stress and tension the following day. I think that the problems caused by running frequently mount up over time and the effects hit you later in life. I think it's due to the collision of your foot with the ground, which will drive your bones together forcefully. With rowing, your feet are attached to the machine, and you are just bending your joints back and forth, there is no 'impact' like there is with running. Similarly with cycling, there's no impact with that either.

Richard,

I can only relay what I've heard, which might be inaccurate. If you've not done rowing for that length of time before, then I'd say it's normal to feel a lot of stress and tension the following day. I think that the problems caused by running frequently mount up over time and the effects hit you later in life. I think it's due to the collision of your foot with the ground, which will drive your bones together forcefully. With rowing, your feet are attached to the machine, and you are just bending your joints back and forth, there is no 'impact' like there is with running. Similarly with cycling, there's no impact with that either.

Correcto mundo

Yes, Rowing is good for bodybuilding and you are correct on the muscles aspect. It is actually better than running as running can cause orthopedic* stress.

*SKELETON AND JOINTS! So watch out.

I hear more and more about the dangers of doing too much running. Also I hear lots about martial artists having their joints (especially their hip joints) ground down which eventually really cripples them.

Yup, its a good thing its finally getting the word out. I never run, but I will do it sometime so I can qualify for this security job if I plan on doing it. Have to run a mile in 8 minutes. Running was never my specialty...

Ah man, that's bad news if you don't do much running normally. I hope you manage to do it

Thanks. I do elliptical machines, the stationary one and the moving handles. Those things burn a lot of calories and is way better than the treadmill IMO.

I notice that the problems with the treadmill for me is my breathing. I have asthma as well. Perhaps the shock of my foot contacting the ground shocks my lungs as well or my breathing patterns? Dunno, but just thought of that one right now.

I have asthma as well as awesomeness. I find the treadmill to be a bitch, at high speed. I am fine on the bike with regards to asthma, it never sets me off. But with running, I feel my lungs getting pounded by the impact, like air is being forced out of my mouth, and I get wheezy.

I have asthma as well as awesomeness. I find the treadmill to be a bitch, at high speed. I am fine on the bike with regards to asthma, it never sets me off. But with running, I feel my lungs getting pounded by the impact, like air is being forced out of my mouth, and I get wheezy.

EXACTLY! I can put the resistance on the bicycle to the double digits and my breathing doesnt shoot up at all. Im sticking with my theory now

I heard that swimming is good for asthmatics too, but I've not really been since I was interested in fitness. I should try that again, I like swimming.

Yes you are right, it is good. Its very little impact and they even have fat people do swimming. Great to tone up as well.

I heard that swimming is good for asthmatics too, but I've not really been since I was interested in fitness. I should try that again, I like swimming.

Yes you are right, it is good. Its very little impact and they even have fat people like you do swimming. Great to tone up as well.

I am just pulling yo leg man

Yes you are right, it is good. Its very little impact and they even have fat people like you do swimming. Great to tone up as well.

I am just pulling yo leg man

Ooo ok, sorry about that. I just didn't want to take chances in case you were being serious lol.

A word on swimming:

In general, it's a great sport. I can only recommend it.

BUT when you suffer from Asthma, it might be no good, because of the chlorine in the water. You just have to try for yourself what your lungs say to that.

It's the best to swim in a lake or the sea if you have the possibility.

AND i think swimming is good for burning fat, but i wouldn't advise bodybuilders to do it in their pre-contest phase, as it also maintains a small layer of fat under the skin for isolation against the cold. So if you're already thin, don't swim a lot to get ultra-ripped!

Anyone else should swim, though

I should

chlorine doesn't affect my asthma, but it does burn my skin or something. Or maybe I am allergic. I get redness all over my lovely face and also some on my back and stomach. I guess my skin is sensitive, I have no tan. I have minus tan

Doesnt affect my asthma either.