Mono and diglycerides

SiNa94

So, a while back I was reading some blog where somebody was bashing PETA (but who doesn't?) for posting things on their Accidentally Vegan page that contain mono and diglycerides. I gave up my Wheat Thins because they had mono and diglycerides (not that I really need them... but they were the only "vegan" thing I could buy on campus at the time).

Well, I finally got around to checking out my good friend Wikipedia that informs me that mono and diglycerides can be from an animal or plant source, or be synthetic.

Is there some way to know what the source is (without contacting every single company) or is this just something I have to trust PETA on (with their 98% vegan standard, or whatever)?

My dad knows a lot about this and I can ask him more. He is a professor at Oregon State University and we were talking about this a couple of years ago. He said something like in most cases they will be plant-based simply because of costs or lower risk of contamination or something like that. I can ask him again and he can give us all kinds of info about it.

Most of the time in breads, crackers, stuff like that, they are plant-based.

Tons of things on that list aren't really vegan(AKA everything with sugar)...they do it so people aren't scared of veganism. I'm not happy they do it but it makes sense since most people would never take a single step towards veganism if they knew everything right away

Tons of things on that list aren't really vegan(AKA everything with sugar)...they do it so people aren't scared of veganism. I'm not happy they do it but it makes sense since most people would never take a single step towards veganism if they knew everything right away

Yeah, I know. Helps narrow down the list though. It's easier to find things on that list and then check the ingredients for yourself than trying to sort through thousands of products at the grocery store (it would help if I lived IN Portland and had access to better stores).

Speaking of stores in Portland, does Food Fight carry mock hams or anything of that nature in the store? I'm working on a plot to take over the holidays next year and prepare everything vegan.

As an aside, my animal ethics professor just asked me what I thought about inviting Robert to come speak to the class.

Food fight has everything...they have fake shrimp and even these weird things that are kind of like quail eggs...I have no idea what they were but they were called...something balls.

My cafeteria's vegan option today...

A. Had cheese on it.

B. Smelled like cigarette ashes.

They took it away after about an hour of complaints, mainly about issue B.

I wrote an article about the crappy vegan options for my school's paper. I hope i get hate mail about being vegan. That'll be fun.

I'm probably not even going to get a meal plan next year. I'll have my own kitchen.

You should transfer to VCU...they have more vegan options that you could stomach...and the vegan options they have are even vegan