Personal Best: Injury

Okay... this isn't necessarily my "best" injury... but I was working out at the campus farm yesterday and I "stumbled" across this beauty. Now, keep in mind that I could probably walk barefoot in gravel or any other kind of hell aimed directly at ones feet and come out just fine... but just about all my hands are used for is typing papers for classes. :shocked:

So... after working out at the farm I had this huge blister on my right hand... about half the width of my hand or so. It popped in the course of my work, I wrapped in in a handkerchief to keep as much dirt out as possible, and went on my merry way. I got back to campus and had a friend clean it out with some peroxide (it's a good thing I had them do it instead of doing it myself like I intended as I got light headed and almost passed out in the process).

I missed class this morning and went to the student health center with the intention of just having them clean it up and throwing a fresh bandage on it. Well, I had a red streak running from the blister down to my wrist... so they freaked out. Then they found out that I had a slight fever... and freaked out some more. They wanted to give me a tetanus shot, an antibiotic, and probably amputate my arm from the elbow down. Needless to say, a trip that should have lasted 10 minutes ended up taking an hour.

All that aside... does anyone else have any good injury stories to tell?

Back in the day in my first martial arts school, when I had advanced to a higher belt, I started helping out with the kid classes that were right before mine. It was great fun and I really enjoyed it. One day I was helping this new girl learn how to do the splits (the front-back kind). I should have known better as I wasn't warmed-up, but I wasn't really going to push it as I started to decend into the stretch. About half-way down I hear a "pop, POP", and I fall a few inches, then a few more with each pop. Worst pain ever. Tore my hamstring muscle where it inserts towards to top (ie. just below my butt). Took months and months to heal and on a bad day that muscle will to this day start to hurt.

The best part was that I sucked it up because I couldn't bring myself to leave the class and suffered the hour until it was over so as to not scare off the new little girl forever!

The best part was that I sucked it up because I couldn't bring myself to leave the class and suffered the hour until it was over so as to not scare off the new little girl forever!

Haha... that's exactly what I did. "Eh, it's just a little blister..." So, I tied a handerchief around my hand and just kept on working... and now my hands rotting off (actually, it's a lot better now).

I have lots of injury stories

I might start with when I broke my leg.

I had been training for 7 months to get ready for a 24 hour mountain bike race in which I had managed to get on a team with an Australian Champion and ex Olympic Rider.

Anyway it was 3 days before the race so I went to the gym to do a last minute work out. The workout went well, it was nice and light, so I felt great and it was the fittest I have been in my entire life. So I jumped on my motorbike and started the ride home. This didn't go to plan, as I approched an intersection a lady in a Volvo, pulled out from a side street. I tried to swerve around her, but it was too late, she hit my leg and I went over the car (I remember looking down as I was vertical in the air and upside down, I was about 6 feet off the ground). I came down pretty hard but I felt ok, so I got up quickly and ran off the road. When I was sitting there with the police, I was sure my leg was just bruised and I would be racing on that weekend. Then when it came to walk and I couldn't put any weight on it, I decided I might as well go to the hospital. I had smashed the Fibula. I spent 10 weeks in plaster and went to the race as a spectator The best thing to come out of it, was I wrecked her car, all with my super strong vegan leg

Ahh, injuries. Shattered knee cap from dirt bike spill. 2 broken ribs when I fell off a small cliff at work, carrying a case of lenses.

Worst I think was 2 years ago. I damaged one of my vertebra riding bike trials (ultimately why I retired from riding). I had been riding really well all day and was cooling down on a pretty low concrete wall gap. It was all going well until my rear brake failed and flipped backwards and sideways, and felt my spine connect with the corner of the wall. I blacked out for one or two seconds, and came to, still rolling to the ground, while my bike bounced down beside me. I had no feeling in my left leg for about an hour. It really scared me. On top of that, a gang of thugs surrounded me and waited for people to disperse so they could take my bike! When I could, I dragged my bike (weighs 21 lbs) over to a busy sidewalk and sat down for a while. I got back on my bike a few times after this, but crashed again and bruised my hip really bad, so I decided to hang up the trials bike and do something safer. I took up kickboxing and so far have had nothing but bruises, a couple of minor sprains. Oh, I got my rib re-broken sparring last November.

Nothing too bad. I don't think about injuries if I can help it.

• 5 months later...

Ok well the most gruesome injury I've had was a compund fracture of my left arm (that's where the bone comes through the skin)....I was hit by a minivan type of minibus, and got out of the way just in time not to get killed, but my arm got clipped.....the bone was sticking out about 6 inches, and I was in a bit of shock becasue my whole hand etc were just hanging there limp at a 90 degree angle..............they fixed it with a metal rod and it's ok now.......I've broken that and also playing football I broke the bone that is right next to a vein that feeds blood to your hand (clavicular ?) anyway that time they fixed it also but I ALMOST had to have the hand amputated...it was not fun...I bench about 250lbs max..I know I could do a LOT more weight, but because of those past injuries I don't want to push my luck. Also turf toe, that really really sucks....I have a golf ball sized peice of scar tissue in my right foot from a turf toe thing from playing, you guessed it football (at least I never injured my knee)..........I was also stabbed in the same foot buy my (soon tio be) ex wife and she cut the tendon that goes to the big tow on my right foot, so I can;t even move the big toe on my right foot at all, and it looks horrible........if I had a lot of $ I'd try and have it fixed a little...but it will never be like it was....that I know.

The thing is you can train around almost any injury..............back injuries are the worst..............but whatever happens to you don't let it stop you.....life, like weight training is all about compensation, so hey maybe I could squat 4 plates...I don't know because I'm not going to try it........but then if your leg is in a cast or your hamstring is torn that is a great opportunity to work on the muscle groups you may have been neglecting...I LOVE training my forearms, and tricepts, which is what I did mainly while I had a cast on my leg and when I finally got the cast off my leg after a couple months of traing these muscle groups that I didn;' have time to deal with before....I was almost glad that the injury happened...almost.

The worst injury you can imagine is to tear your achilles tendon...I saw a guy do that, and he got over it, but it was the most brutal, painful ugliest thing that I have ever seen...I wouldn't even wish that on a politician!!!

Stay strong, and be healthy, it makes your workout easier

we had taken apart an old barn to salvage the wood. then we bulldozed what was left. we poured some diesel oil on the it, and lit it up.

there was a lot of old dried out manure on the slab the barn stood on - like a deep in some places. that night i went out and was looking at it. it was all glowing like a huge charcoal grill. then i just fell over into it, burning my arm, shoulder and my knee (a little bit) on burning manure.

i went to the emergency room to get it cleaned up, wrapped, and a tetanus shot, and the dr was laughing his ass off. he called other docs over to laugh at me. it was pretty funny, and these guys were all farmers, so it wasn't mean spirited, just stupidly humorous.

Lifting-related injuries - injured disc/discs in my lower back are the primary thing that comes back to haunt me, but not so much after last year's work to rehab the problem That all stems from my first strongman comp, got there late without getting to warm up, overhead log press was first event. I was already tired and in a bad mental state, first two lifts were harder than they should have been, so I got mad and jumped 30 lbs. to move up to 225 lbs. for my 3rd attempt of 4. Almost locked it out overhead, but it drifted forward a bit. I held on WAY too long, arched back and tried to "pull" it back up and into alignment to complete the lift. Well, that didn't go as planned, and I felt everything crack from my neck on down to my butt, and I pitched the log out front at the last second and flew backward. Didn't know the damage I'd done at the time - had my wife walk on my back, stretched out a bit, and went back for my 4th attempt (which, of course, I didn't make). Finished the contest, not great placing but still, I'm surprised that the injury didn't end my day early.

All other lifting-related injuries have been minor - I try to lift safe even when going heavy, which has worked well so far. Skateboarding, on the other hand, has been far less kind to me from my 13 years involved in it. I've had 3 head injuries all requiring trips to the hospital - two from falling on ramps straight to my head, one from skating a ledge and going straight to my chin on the asphalt. I've got a few nice scars and a slighty crooked nose to show for it, not to mention a dozen or so serious ankle sprains/ligament tears, plenty of scars, a knee that took 2 years to heal up after a good fall, a nice calcium deposit lump in my hip and numerous other little things. Wouldn't trade a moment of it, but I know that I'll one day be a creaky old man from the time I've put in and all the damage I've done over the years.