Health research

Gym hater

Does anyone have any research on how a vegan diet is healthier than that of a meat eating person? And I mean real scientific research, not shallow like in the vegetarian starter kit from PETA.

It could really help me convincing people to go vegan. And research preferably in PDF

Gynmhater,

See the books on this topic written by Dr. Dean Ornish (MD and author). He writes:

"I dont understand why asking people to eat a well-balanced vegetarian diet is considered drastic, while it is medically conservative to cut people open and put them on cholesterol-lowering drugs for the rest of their lives."

Dr. William C. Roberts, MD and and editor of The American Journal of Cardiology who says:

"When we kill animals to eat them, they end up killing us because their flesh, which contains cholesterol and saturated fat, was never intended for human beings."

Dr. T. Colin Campbell, PhD, Professor of Nutrition and Cornell University, and director of the largest epidemiologic study in history, writes:

"In every respect, vegans appear to enjoy equal or better health in comparison to both vegetarians and non-vegetarians...The vast majority of all cancers, cardiovascular diseases and other degenerative diseases can be prevented by simply adopting a plant based diet. "

Dr. Frank Ski, former director of pediatrics at John Hopkins University, says:

"There is no reason to drink cow's milk at any time in your life. It was designed for calves, it was not designed for humans, and we should all stop drinking it today, this afternoon."

The American Dietetic Association's position paper on vegetarianism reads:

"Well-planned vegan diets are appropriate for all stages of life cycle, including during pregancy, lactation, infancy, childhood and adolescence."

Dr. Neal Barnard, MD, says:

"The beef industry has contributed to more American deaths than all the wars of this century, all natural disasters, and all car accidents combined. If better is your idea of "real food for real people", you'd better libve close to a real good hospital."

Please also visit the pcrm.org website for more actual info and stats. There are also tons of stuff from the above medical experts on the internet. A quick google search will yield lots of stuff.

Hope that helps.

I, Robert, Daywalker, Jonathan,Kollision, other members, ...,etc. are living scientific proof.

Thanks for including this fat man But ya, even though, Im bigger than most people I see, so Id say yes too. Thanks.

Also, cholesterol is lowered dramitacally because we do not eat animals or their products (which have livers which means it has cholesterol). However Vegans can still have bad cholesterol if they don't eat properly, but we are less susciptible to cholesterol problems. Also high blood pressure (that is if you don't smoke.

Nat provided a good site on nutrition:

http://www.veganhealth.org/sh/

Thanks for the help the veganhealth.org is a usefull site. But I still have a lot of unawnsered questions.

Fore example: The vast majority of all cancers, cardiovascular diseases and other degenerative diseases can be prevented by simply adopting a plant based diet. But how is this researched, how is cancer prevented, I know it has something to do with fiber but what?

I, Robert, Daywalker, Jonathan,Kollision, other members, ...,etc. are living scientific proof.

That's treu, and I am also proof that you don't need meat to be strong and healthy. But there are also a lot of people that are healthy whom eat meat.

Gymhater,

You seem to be as impatient as me!!!

Like I said, READ stuff by the doctors I quoted above. Contact pcrm.org and ask them to mail or email you info. Read about T.Collin Campbell's longest running study in history which showed that vegans enjoy a lesser risk of getting these diseases, etc. etc.

The information is there, and if you really want it, simply research it or read about it. I cannot research it for you because I just dont have the time right now.

SO I repeat:

1. Start by going to pcrm.org website and email them with any specific questions like how it is that vegans enjoy a lesser risk of degenerative disease. Ask them to email or mail you specific scientific information.

2, Google search the doctors I noted and read some of their stuff. They have written about this.

That should get you started, but pcrm.org is a great reference. It stands for The Phsyicians Committee for Responsible Medicine and it consists partly of vegan doctors. They are really helpful - I have contacted them before and they answered all my questions.

As far as the GENERAL reason why a vegan diet is healthier than a meat based one, I suspect that it is because the human body is NOT designed physiologically for meat. SO a vegan diet is more natural for us and thereby healthier. THat is probably the core reason, on top of everything else that you will find out.

See the thead entitled "Are humans natural meat eaters/carnovires" thread in the general discussion category. Topher posted a whole chart of how our body compares to a true carnivorous animals - we are NOT supposed to be eating meat!! The information in the chart will blow your mind.