Question on form of protein?

Okay so I'm back and hopefully this thread won't turn into something like the last. I'm not trying to make this a debate about how much protein is required by the body, but moreso the type of protein you are getting.

After doing more thinking, and reading the advice from my previous post, I am thinking it may just be best to cut out all the eggs, cottage cheese and the like from my diet. I noticed last night after eating my egg whites I feel kind of bloated, plus I'm not really enjoying them that much so it would be easy to remove.

I like the whole concept of feeding your body natural, wholesome foods though on this forum, it seems to be one very important aspect of everyone's diets here that I think makes it a lot healthier than many of the other more traditional diet approaches.

I'd like to adopt a diet where basically I'll be eating fruit, vegetables, oatmeal and nuts (so kind of like a fruitarian I believe but with the addition of oatmeal - I like this right after my workout).

I am still a little concerned with not taking in enough protein though, I know people on here don't agree with me on that, and I'm not going to go off eating 300 grams a day or anything but what I'm mostly wondering, from your point of view, would it be bad *nutritionally speaking* (I know absolute vegetarians would not likely do this and I'm not trying to start a right or wrong controversy) to consume protein powder as my main source of protein (with the addition of nuts)?

If you go on any other 'bodybuilding' forum they will tell you to get protein from whole foods, meat, eggs, etc, but obviously that isn't what this is about. The diets here are closer to what I'd be eating so that's why I'm asking this here rather than there.

Hopefully this post doesn't offend anyone...again not trying to cause a fight but am just making sure I'm not going to set myself up for any long term health implications by consuming 1-3 scoops of protein powder a day, along with fruits, vegetables and nuts.

First off, I wasn't offended by your posts in the last thread and thought it was perhaps a little blunt to ask you to leave. We're taking about optimum nutrition for sports here and I think the different point of views have to be weighed against each other. That's how I came to the conclusion about diet that I have today, I challanged myself and others to find the best way and I'm still doing that today.

Why don't you try and see how it fits you to do it like that (the oatmeal-fruitarian thing)? Remember, you can still add beans and tofu if your worried about the protein. But like me and many others said, I'm growing on a whole food plant diet without supplement (except for a multivitamin).

Well it's good to hear I didn't make too many enemies than. I definitely don't have anything against vegetarianism and I do feel that I would feel better taking out some of the processed and dairy products out of my diet.

My big issue is I really don't like the taste of beans or tofu, maybe with the tofu it's just that I don't know how to cook it but so far from what I've tried it wasn't so good.

I also, and this is kind of silly, but I like the 'freedom' I guess you would say from eating fruits and vegetables. It's so nice and simple. (I guess I'm adding oats but those are easy and it's just because I find it 'sticks' to me better right after a workout. I could at some point add in tofu though, I'm sure with the various kinds out there there's bound to be one I'd enjoy.

pertaining to your distaste to certain foods, I'd suggest just trying as many different things you can try and by doing so, you're bound to find something you enjoy. For example, I've tried quite alot of beans I've never tried before, and found garbanzo beans/chickpeas to be the best tasting, though I've been told that most people tend to enjoy those too.

last friday I bought 6 bags of them on sale for 50 cents each!

I agree with Kon in that you need to explore the variety of protein enriched plant-based foods to find what works for you.

On that note, I don't think it would be the best (the keyword being "best") idea to receive the majority or your protein intake from a protein powder. I think that most RDs/nutritional experts would agree that protein powders are meant to supplement your protein intake, not be a primary source.

You said that you don't enjoy the taste of tofu (or was it all soy?) but have you considered soy milk, soy-based mock meats, ECT?

Tofu is an easy add in for any stir fries and soups, or even as a filler for lazagna since ricotta doesn't really taste like cheese anyway. Those are the easiest ways to eat tofu if you don't know how to cook it yet. Back to the protein thing take a look at your oatmeal box and imagine eating 2000 calories with(or even 1000) and you'll see. 1/2 cup has 5g of protein and 150 calories. This is basically 3 1/2 cups which isn't all that hard to stomach throughout a day. This makes for 35g in oatmeal alone. I know you don't think thats enough but this is only a minescule part of your diet. I'm not suggesting eat that much oatmeal but it wouldn't kill you if you did so long as it didn't prevent you from eating more nutritious things.

Thanks for the advice, I think probably I just need to try some different ways to cook the tofu and I've never had chickpeas to be completely fair so maybe that is another option. I could see blending tofu into soups though maybe, might give it a creamy taste?

I do like those Yves things though, hot dogs, 'deli meat's' and that would still be considered non-meat right? I'm kind of going back and forth whether I want to include that though. I've been reading the raw food section and I like that idea, it's just the thought of never having warm food that I think I'd struggle with. Now if I could steam some vegetables, then I'd be good to go. I just think for some reason, and it's probably more psychological than anything, I usually feel fuller after eating something hot, plus, by nature, maybe being a girl who knows, my body is always freezing so the warm food and liquids help with that regard.

I also agree that you just need to try it and find what works best. No one person can tell you what works for you. I've also found on a personal level it depends on fitness level at any given time; switching 'drastically' made me sick until I adapted more slowly as I was (am still am a little) overweight. I was so indoctrinated into the thinking that to build muscle you needed large amounts of protein, rather than just keeping calories up (enough protein is in there). I'm finding that's just not the case. And frankly, hearing people say it here in the forums never convinced me until I chose to try it.

I eat nuts sparingly now but derive protein mainly from fruits, vegetables, legumes and Vega, but I really don't think about it too much or track it much. I'm assuming I'm getting 5-10% protein from my daily diet and I'm also losing weight, mainly because I'm keeping my calories high enough with a whole foods diet and eating as much as I want.

Yah for sure. Right now my training is going fairly well although I have lost a little weight since cutting out the eggs/cottage cheese so that is a slight concern. I know though that it's total calories that make that happen and really has nothing to do with protein. As long as you are making the minimum requirements for protein, any extra is just used as fuel or secreted. The main reason I had used a higher protein diet in the past was I found it helped to keep my blood sugar levels a little more stable but I'm finding that as long as I eat plenty of nuts in the day and keep my fat higher, I don't seem to have as much trouble. It's just when I eat say an apple by itself and it's all I've eaten for a few hours, then lookout. Also too, the more calories you consume generally the lower your protein requirements so as I raise them than maybe there is less to worry about as well.

What exactly is Vega though? ...never heard of that.

Those 'fake meats' can be as much carb as protein and have a lot of wheat gluten in them; f you're sensitive to that it might be an issue.

That's a good point, probably best to just stay away from them - plus they are a little pricey... and produce can get expensive enough.

Thanks for giving me the link to the Vega site Matt, it seems to be good, really nice that it supplies the fatty acids as well.

Vega is absolutely wonderful. I don't have much but when I do use what I have I don't eat nearly as much since I feel so fueled to do anything.