FDA attempting to regulate supplements, herbs and juices

Zack

Yeah this is crap...I do agree with regulation but not this way...I mean in the sense that pasturizing should be limited, and making sure herbal companies really put those herbs in their products which isn't always the case.

The FDA will never serve out interest. We need something else. They simply get too much money legally and probably even more illegally from people lobbying in people to represent them at the top. The only way we can get them to do good is if we have even more lobby money to get people at the top which isn't gonna happen unless we have some very generous billionaire vegan donators.

I'm going to go ahead and be in the minority again..... most of these things NEED regulating. The market is overflowing with all sorts of supplements, many of which are useless and some of which are dangerous, with virtually no supervision. The current state of affairs is ridiculous. They're not saying these products will be pulled from the market, but some accountability is in order. A significant number of vitamin and mineral supplements don't even have what they say they have in them, there are no standards of purity for supplements right now, etc. I don't see how regulating these products is bad.

I agree...but I think the regulation from the FDA should probably stop at making sure companies aren't lying about what they are giving you(and of course punishing businesses severely for lying). Otherwise we may turn out like the EU where you can't even get stevia...meaning no VEGA

Yes, it would be a good thing for the FDA to require that companies tell you what is in their products and the process through which they have gone. Possibly some sort of certification would be nice. Then whole thing with considering supplements drugs is crap, though. Maybe they should be considered over-the-counter, but I am afraid the FDA will make many things prescription which shouldn't be. I had no idea that stevia isn't allowed within the EU, that is insane. They can have aspartame, saccharin and sucralose, though, can't they? That makes so little sense.

I do agree being objective is pretty much impossible but they can tell you if manufacturers are being honest about what they put in the products. I know they'll always be objective in saying if something works or not and thats a human characteristic but at least labelling correctly and using accurate amounts of ingredients should be forced through some kind of fining or imprisonment...like in the case of the dufus McDonald's CEOs and the fiasco with the oil they were using.