Has anyone followed Chris Aceto's advice?

I have been following the training suggestions from "Championship Bodybuilding" by Chris Aceto, copyright 1999. I think he gives a good description of slow twitch/fast twitch muscle fibers and what's needed to make muscle grow. My real concern is that he states "if a woman trains for a year under a good trainer, she could realistically add 5 pounds of muscle." I know personally that this is not true, so I'm wondering if the rest of the book has any glaring misconceptions.

I plan on competing next year and am not going to pay for a personal trainer for an entire year (unless any of you know of an awesome one in Portland, OR). I've had trainers over the years and sometimes feel like we're speaking two different languages. The last one said "maybe we won't be able to make you bigger but we can make you stronger." Exactly what I'm not looking for.

But back to the book. If any of you have read it, I'd really like to get your opinion.

Yeah, DV was talking to me about him yesterday. I recognize his name as one of the greats but I must admit, I don't know much about him.

I'll look into it. I'm learning more and more about contest prep all the time from a variety of people in the industry. It's fun learning all these new things!

Thanks for the replies. I looked at some of the reviews of his books on amazon.com but I was really interested in whether anyone here has had good results following his advice. Most of the reviews were good.

I have met women who have been working out for years(track athletes) that have put on over 5 lbs of muscle in a year. I don't think thats so much of a problem with being a woman more so than it being related to your present body weight. I know its hard for skinny men that have been athletes to put on any muscle at all but I know if I stopped cycling and lifted again I'd probably put on 15lbs or more of muscle rather easily in a year because I'm already fairly big. Anyway I think it is possible if your body will allow it. Some people simply can't gain any significant muscle without the use of help(drugs). However I think 5lbs starting from the drawing board is more than possible for anyone...its people that have been training for a long time that may have already met their mass potential.