i'm gonna get fast... i hope

I just got back from a glorious run in the sunshine. Ran for about 48 minutes.

Todd came with me because our cat was meowing incessantly for his dinner and he didn't want to listen to that anymore. lol. Also, he's been trying to run further than 5km but hasn't had a lot of success with that (he managed 7km once), so I acted as his pacer today. He usually goes out and does a 5 minute first km and then fades or ends up with a hurt knee. We covered about 8.5km in that time, and he is feeling good. So am I... I could run forever at that pace.

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got back from a glorious run in the sunshine. Ran for about 48 minutes.

Todd came with me because our cat was meowing incessantly for his dinner and he didn't want to listen to that anymore. lol. Also, he's been trying to run further than 5km but hasn't had a lot of success with that (he managed 7km once), so I acted as his pacer today. He usually goes out and does a 5 minute first km and then fades or ends up with a hurt knee. We covered about 8.5km in that time, and he is feeling good. So am I... I could run forever at that pace.

Why isn't Todd on the form????? !!!

If you're never sore you should be fine not taking days off. Soreness is a sign of a possible future injury(within reason) but not always. But at the same time good soreness is a sign of good hard work and if you feel that day after day you'll eventually need a day off for improved performance.

You Shy, Please Lady

Oh

I ask my friend about my pictures. She's going to search for them. I'm wondering if I should post them here too

I am a little shy! These are different... I did them in my bikini.

And yes, you should definitely post your befores and afters if you get them!

OK, here are my progress photos. I don't really have befores in the same poses.

Here's a pic that shows what my figure was like a couple years ago:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c78/pamelaswitzer/pamelabefore.jpg

My torso now:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c78/pamelaswitzer/absshotoct16.jpg

Full body, from the back:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c78/pamelaswitzer/backviewoct16.jpg

My little bicep... but hey, it's something!!

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c78/pamelaswitzer/bicepoct.jpg

My legs, which I love (check it out, I have defined calf muscles!):

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c78/pamelaswitzer/legs.jpg

Hurray for another successful run home!

I took just the main roads this time and cut off 2 km extra I had added for my last run home, so it was 13 km. I was really hungry, that's why I cut it a little shorter. Also, I had to stop at my friend's parent's house to use the washroom. I felt dumb, but it was better than running 11 km further until I could use it at home. Taking the main roads meant more cars passing, and more cars honking. But, overall it was a good run, and I have come home to macaroni and cheez!

I can hardly blame them for honking... I look pretty cute in my tights.

I'm resting today. I just realized that yesterday was my fifth day in a row of running... I did nearly 50k in those five days. I feel great though. But I don't want to get hurt. I started taking maca every day five days ago too. hmmmm......

So I'll rest today and run tomorrow, little run on Saturday and then my 10k trail race on Sunday. If I feel like running on Monday I will, otherwise I will wait until Tuesday for Hammertime. This coming week will be fairly low mileage as I do some shorter runs to get ready for a 5k race.

I thought about doing weights this morning but I had trouble waking up so I was running late. I'm thinking I'll do them tonight if I am able to get off the couch after eating at an all-you-can-eat vegan Indian buffet. It's Todd and I's nine-year anniversary.

Thanks. I'm not sure if it even counts since we were separated for a few months this year, but I'll take any excuse to eat out somewhere.

We didn't end up eating at the indian place. The line was way too long. We went to another place nearby that we enjoy.

This morning I did my usual light arms and abs routine. This afternoon I hope to run. I haven't decided how far yet. It's supposed to be fairly warm out.

So I've been in a rotten, pissy mood for the past couple days, a mood that went away after I had my run today. I did not run on Thursday or Friday. So it looks like I need to run to be nice.

I did about 9 km. The wind was awful when running west, so bad that I barely felt like I was moving. At least it wasn't cold though.

Tomorrow morning is my trail "race" which I am just going to take easy. It should be interesting. I need to become accustomed with trail running for a future endeavor. I'll be wearing my road shoes, so I need to be careful.

o.m.g.

I am cleaning out my closet and I just tried on all of my dress pants that I haven't worn since the spring (when I started running).

Not a single pair of them fits properly. I am giving them all away to goodwill except for two pairs that sort of fit. Most of them hang off of me loosely, and some won't even stay on my hips. These are all pants I bought since losing the first chunk of weight. I already had to replace all my pants from before I started exercising.

Looks like I need to go pants shopping.

Well I was registered for the 10k, but 3/4 through the first lap (10k was two laps) I just didn't feel like doing a second one. I could have, but it was really intensely hilly and I want to be able to run tomorrow so I made a judgment call to stop at 5k. I also got a mud soaker.

As it turns out, I ended up placing first in my age category. haha! First of two, but first nonetheless. I did it in 30:56, which is pretty slow for 5k, but given I've never run on a trail, that I did it at a slower pace assuming I was going to do a 10k, and all the hills, I'm ok with it.

Here are some pics.

Todd and I before the race:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c78/pamelaswitzer/pamtoddprerace.jpg

Waiting for the race to start:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c78/pamelaswitzer/pamelaprerace.jpg

Getting my medal:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c78/pamelaswitzer/gettingmedal.jpg

This morning I did a half hour abs/arms/shoulders thing. I don't do much, but it keeps me toned for now.

Crunches with ab roller- 1 set of 200

Seated cable bicep curl 50 pounds- 3 sets x 20 reps

Machine military press 50 pounds- 3 sets x 12 reps

Machine bench press 50 pounds- 3 sets x 12 reps

Tonight I will do 10k- 2k warm up, 6k of hills, 2k cool down.

Well, I'm lucky that my favorite store for dress clothing is having a 25% off everything in the store sale this week. I've bought a few pairs of pants (no spandex at all... I don't want them to stretch...I have enough big pants) and three suits (charcoal, beige and black). So now at least I have business attire to wear to work, even if I don't have much money left.

The trail race course was interesting. I would love to do it for practice runs... so many hills and twists and turns. I found it took a lot more effort to stay upright than when I'm running on the road. At one point I did trip on a root and went flying, but somehow I managed to land on my feet and keep running without skipping a beat.

As for the scenery, yeah, it was definitely better than suburban streets. I'm probably moving in the spring, and a main thing we'll be looking for in our new house will be proximity to nice running areas.

OK so back to my training....

Last night I did 8.5k of hills. I really loved it, it felt great. I will do a 5k run tonight in preparation for my race this weekend, and I may tack an extra couple km on at the end, but run the 5k as though that's it. Tomorrow I have to get my car rustproofed, so after I drop it off I'm going to go for a run while it's being done. They'll probably think I'm weird, but oh well!

I'm trying to eat pretty cleanly this week. The only exception will be tomorrow night, when I participate in a chocolate sampling/review with a few others for our veg newsletter.

Oh, I almost forgot!

I bought a heart rate monitor... it is a Polar model. I started to use it last night but it was beeping repeatedly because I didn't set the maximum heart rate on it so it was using a default of 165. So i turned it off because I didn't know how to change it without the manual while I was in the middle of running, and because I didn't want to leave it beeping due to battery drainage. Anyway, the highest heart rate I achieved before I turned it off was about 180 bpm. I have no idea what that means. I was going up hill, but wasn't sprinting or anything.

OK so I've been doing a bit of looking up stuff and my target heart rate should be not higher than 170ish. My max should be between 190-195.

But when I was at 180 last night I was still able to talk. I could have given it a lot more.

Of course, I also have a pretty high resting pulse rate.

I am in my gear ready to run, but I just don't want to. It's cold and rainy out. Blech. So I've revised my schedule. I'm going to do 10k tomorrow aft, 5k Thursday am and 5k Thursday pm, Friday off, and a short run (4k maybe) on Saturday. Then the race is on Sunday.

I'm planning to do weights in the morning. I also want to wear my heart rate monitor to sleep so I can check my resting pulse when I wake up.