I HATE MY JOB I HATE MY BOSS

sydneyvegan

I've been doing my current job for about 18 months, in that time I've doubled the profit of my department, totally changed the culture of my staff and implemented a range of procedures that have fixed problems that have exisited for years. But all this is not enough, they want more and more from my staff so they can use the profit to pay for other departments who have been running at a loss for years. I have no money to use for pay rises or training and recently they took my office (One of my few comforts which allowed me to do things such as log on here). I'm now in the middle of an open plan floor, with no privacy, no walls nothing... Throw my Boss into this mix who apart from being a control freak, a micro-manager, un-trusting and a liar is ok I guess.

Yesterday I was having a stressful day I have 1001 things to do to prepare for the end of financial year here in Australia as well as an audit that is coming up in a few weeks. I went to collect something that my boss had told me he had organised for me, and of course it wasn't there and people knew nothing about it. I commented on how it wasn't good enough and swore a couple of times, unfortunately right as another manager walked past. I appologise to the people of course (not their fault I know) I got to work this morning to find I will have a formal warning put on my file and the CEO will be involved. I hate my job so much it will just be hard to find something else, when I have a 1 month holiday booked to the USA in August. I guess if I get fired, then that will solve me having to worry about that....

Rant is over for now...

Sorry those jerks are giving you so much trouble...my mother is kinda in the same boat. Without her...the department she works in would be nowhere and luckily in her case the manager appreciates her...but nobody else does.

Bosses usually suck, more or less. I myself have problems following orders on problems that I have better solutions for (which is often). For me it's usually easier to lead than to follow. I don't know if that is what you're referring to but it sounds like it.

man, that sucks! i'm sorry to hear that, maybe you should try contacting someone in a higher position than your boss? ( to explain everything and why your boss should get fired.... lol ) or maybe finding another job w/ people who recognize your skills? anyways, i hope you get out of that tough situation, soon...

I was recently talking to a friend over IM about work & bosses and he mentioned this..

'Employers tend to bring out the Dilbert on all of us ' It was brilliant.

Coming back to your rant. I'll put it this way.. Send me your profile and the kind of work you do. If I do not have you looking at CAREER PLANNING in whole new way, you can change my name.

I've done that a lot over the last half decade. I do not know the kind of work you do but I doubled my salary the first time I spent 2-3 months working on that aspect. I have not looked back ever since.

Take care. Hope to see you around in August.

PS: Try me, take a chance on me.

what do you do for work, sydneyvegan?

btw, my wife (yogitachiquita) and I are coming to sydney in a couple weeks - we should meet up!

I work in the commercial side of a Charity.

A meet up in Sydney sounds great. Even though we are in winter, the days have been great, with lots of winter sun.

Thanks for the nice thoughts from everyone...

I'm looking for another job, but until then I'll just have to stick it out.

I try and make sure I enjoy life outside of work, even if I'm tired and stressed at the end of the week, I make an effort to get out there and see friends etc.

There is a group of departments within the organisation that have the purpose of making a profit to fund care programs, etc.

My department is one of these, we tender for contracts, put in bids etc against other companies, and try and increase the profit margin each year, thus we are in the commercial side of the charity

There's lots of non-profit/"charity" type jobs here in Portland & even more to be found spread around Cascadia...

I have definitely considered this option

If not around Portland, then I have a friend in New York who works in the same field as me (GIS etc)...

He works at the UN, and they seem to have an open ended add on their website looking for people, interesting.....

Interview was ok, not sure I'm what they are looking for or how well I would fit in.

Questions about wives and kids were asked.

I'm not sure they noticed my perfectly matched outfit.

Suit, shirt, socks, tie and cufflinks were all matched perfectly complete with a colour scheme.

To fit in I would have needed to find a tweed jacket and some bad trousers.

• 2 weeks later...
Well I don't have to worry about my boss or my job anymore. I got made Redundant Yesterday.

You got fired? I don't understand the last sentance...

It's similar to being fired...

When doing the budget for the next financial year, they decided they could no longer afford my position. So they got rid of it.

It happened to 3 of us.