Running

JW

I've tried on and off to become a consistent habitual runner but it's never stuck. I started again recently on a 3 day a week basis before work 30 minutes a day. It's working well so far but I'm feeling kind of sick so I skipped the run this morning. I may try it later today after lifting. It's been two weeks, I'm hoping I'm really able to make it happen this time.

If you are running one mile at a time, you are not ready to start doing intervals yet! Intervals and other faster workouts are great for improving your speed, but you must get your endurance to a point where you can handle greater distances before you try to go faster.

A heart rate monitor is a good suggestion. But don't use it to push yourself to go faster, use it to ensure that you're doing your runs at an aerobic pace (60% of max heart rate). Do those runs for progressively longer distances, taking walk breaks if you need to. I would suggest increasing the length of your runs by around five minutes each week.

Once you get up to running for half an hour or more, than you can start improving your speed and doing those fun workouts that Matt mentioned.

Good luck!

Agreed. I didn't see the 1 mile per day, so markc7 is right on about the 30 min or more. As a rule of thumb (if you cannot get a heart rate monitor), a slow jog (4 mph) nets 2 miles in 1/2 hour, or 15 minute miles if you need to gauge it.

My running is improving, but slowly. I'm up to 20 minutes every other time I'm at the gym which means I run about three times a week. I found that when I did it every day I got too tired. As I improve, I go longer. I'm keeping the pace the same though for the time being. When I'm up to 30 minutes I'll gradually go faster. Thanks for the advice everyone!

I got into running a few years ago and am pretty much unable to stop. Not that that's a bad thing . Recently I sprained my ankle very very badly and couldn't run for about two months. I almost went insane. Running seems to be the only thing that keeps me going sometimes. Not only does it dampen my appetite, but it makes me feel better, sleep better, and have a better attitude in general. Sometimes I have trouble motivating myself to get out and go for long runs, as I'll get lonely at times, but once I get back I always feel amazing. Right now my top distance is about 8 miles, but I used to do 14, though if I was alone on such long distances I got very depressed despite the fact I was doing something I loved. Running a long ways with a buddy is always good, but most people I know think I'm crazy for wanting to run that far. My favorite running weather is probably twenty degrees Fahrenheit with snow on the ground but a sunny day. That and absolute downpour with mud everywhere. I can never decide

He Squiggly, have you tried an mp3 player? Having an mp3 player has proven to show that athletes will train between 30-50% more for endurance movements. I know it helps me....I don't wear one when I cycle because it isn't safe but in a gym or on a run its nice to have one and it keeps you in check.

He Squiggly, have you tried an mp3 player? Having an mp3 player has proven to show that athletes will train between 30-50% more for endurance movements. I know it helps me....I don't wear one when I cycle because it isn't safe but in a gym or on a run its nice to have one and it keeps you in check.

30-50 percent?

Crap. I'm really tempted to get an mp3 player now. I need to get better headphones then those crappy hearing killing earbuds though. Curse my audiophile ways.

When I saw it on TV it really made sense to me. If I say I'm gonna run a certain distance I'll do it but in the case of an 8 mile run...after 4 it feel like I've been at mile 7 every step of the way but with my MP3 player I've gone beyond my running time without even realizing it on multiple occasions.

with my MP3 player I've gone beyond my running time without even realizing it on multiple occasions.

wow! this never happened to me! You must have a magic mp3!!!

pelicanAndrew, You don't need to spend much money on headphones, just as long as they have a part that wraps around the top of your ear, they will stay in place well.

When I was in school I'd only run when I was on a tight schedule for class and studio work. On a few occasions I'd get up to run at 7 with plans on running for an hour...just enough time to get back...shower...then ride to school. One time I ran maybe 20minutes longer than I planned and I didn't have time to shower...I felt icky all day but its all because of the music.

When I was in school I'd only run when I was on a tight schedule for class and studio work. On a few occasions I'd get up to run at 7 with plans on running for an hour...just enough time to get back...shower...then ride to school. One time I ran maybe 20minutes longer than I planned and I didn't have time to shower...I felt icky all day but its all because of the music.

What was playing in your music to make you feel icky all day? It must of been that darn country music I'm just kidding !

I really like running with fleetwood mac

And after a month I'm up to about 45 minutes.

Portland Centric Note:

I go from 50th and Division up to the top of Mt. Tabor and loop the top once then come down around the reservoir on 60th and down hawthorne and then back down 50th. It's really pretty. Or it's really pretty at 530am.