The Thrive Diet

i loved "the thrive diet" and made my transition to vegan way easy. I have tons of energy and don't even feel tired after working out anymore (guess i just need to work harder!!)

I don't follow his meal plan specifically or anything but rather adhere to his guidelines, for most of summer (during workdays anyway) I would generallly eat/live this way

7;15-8 Yoga

8-breakfast smoothie (usually a green smoothie) + 4 oz homemade kombucha

11-lunch=large large varied salad with thrive diet salad dressing ( sometimes with quinoa or equal grains thrown in) + piece of fruit

2 -snack-raw energy bar + carrot or celery or other "snacky" veg

3:45-direct fuel bite

4-5 *WORKOUT*

5:15ish-recover drink or pudding

6:30ish dinner with my family (if i didn't make dinner tried to make it as thrive as possible

9ish raw dessert or plantains or a few thrive diet vegetable crackers or fruit +4oz homemade kombucha

but anyway I've tried alot of the recipes in the book and here are a few tips that I've made mental notes on

-the pancakes usually call for 1 cup of hemp milK + 1 or 3/4 cup water, do not add the water at first, mix everthing together and the slowly add water until you deem it the right consistency. I found that if i add all the water initially the mixture is waaayyy to watery and thin and pretty hard to make pancakes with..but if done this way turn our tasty.

-when making direct fuel bites, take then mixture and form it into a rectangle on a plate/cutting borad and then put in freezer for 10 minutes. it will harden up and make it incredddiblly easier to cut into tiny little bites to be wrapped up. Also using fresh dates instead of dried ones makes it less messy as well, I would recommend fresh dates for all recipes and dried dates in general though as well.

-the creamy pepper soup is delishhh!!...but I found it hard to like the ginger carrot one.

-the energy bars are best when chunkier (don't overprocess)

-all the cracker recipes (sans vegetable crackers) don't make very many and would probably benefit from doubling the recipe so it doesnt get to thin on the outside and burning (haven't tried this yet, but will next time)

-creamy nutritional yeast sauce takes way more than 5 minutes to get close to melted cheese consistency, but if you don't put all the water in it cuts down on time till it gets to "melted" consistency,

these are just some liner notes i would add but i reallly love this book and try to make everyone i know read it. Post some more if i remember them.

o yea and the directions for popping the amaranth didn't quite work for me

the first time i tried it in a pan with coconut oil and ended up burning alot mabye ruining a pan and making my parents a little upset when they came hom haha, i've also tried it in a hot air popcorn popper and absolutly nothing happened. After doing a little research on the internet i found

http://serendipitouschef.blogspot.com/2006/11/popcorn-of-gods-whb.html

which i followed and it turned out great, anywhere here are the directions from that blog.

"Heat a small skillet with a lid that fits over high heat until it is very hot. Pour one to two table spoons of Amaranth grain into the skillet, cover immediately with the fitting lid, and begin shaking the pan. The popping should begin within a few seconds. As the popping dies down, and before the popped kernels burn, remove the skillet from the heat and pour the popped grain into a heat proof bowl.

Repeat as above to pop as much Amaranth as necessary. Do not crowd the skillet with too much Amaranth each time, or it will steam and not pop. If the Amaranth does not start popping within a few seconds, your skillet was not hot enough (my problem the first time)."

I finally got the book and hope to have it finished today or tomorrow. It's a very interesting read and the recipes look good and simple enough.

I've been incorporating more raw foods into the mix over the past week and walking in the Texas heat (even though it's been a mild summer), is no problem. The big thing I've noticed is not feeling even vaguely tired after walking or lifting.

I'm already liking the way I'm feeling and I haven't totally committed to starting the Thrive Diet yet.

made the sunflower beet pizza tonight (recommend!) and just tired out something that really helps alot for the creamy nutritional yeast sauce.

It just calls for 1/2 cup of sunflower seeds, but when you put those in the sauce it doesn't do much other than add a crunch every now and then, BUT tonight I group up the sunflower seeds in a coffee grinder and then put them in the sauce. MUCH MUCH BETTER! it makes it much more creamy and like melted cheese. also i like to add extra cayenne

• 3 weeks later...

I just finished reading it as well. I am a newbie so it made my transiotion much easier. I do find that some of the recipes have to be modified...like the pancakes. don't add as much water. too much. the crackers don't always turn out like crackers.... some have completely crumbled. The zuch. chips haven't turned out like chips, just baked zuch. Any one else have any tips on this? Any other good books on vegan diets? I'm new so I can use all the help I can get. Overall, I did really enjoy the book. I makes a lot of sense. I would reccomend it.

I just finished reading it as well. I am a newbie so it made my transiotion much easier. I do find that some of the recipes have to be modified...like the pancakes. don't add as much water. too much. the crackers don't always turn out like crackers.... some have completely crumbled. The zuch. chips haven't turned out like chips, just baked zuch. Any one else have any tips on this? Any other good books on vegan diets? I'm new so I can use all the help I can get. Overall, I did really enjoy the book. I makes a lot of sense. I would reccomend it.

Have you read Eat to Live? He also has a blog with alot of recipes.

I just finished The thrive diet and I found it interesting to read about how he changed his diet because he felt in different ways. It's interesting because he puts so much stress on his body. Some of the things he says are not scientifically shown but it doesn't matter as he is a living proof that what he's doing works.

hey thanks!!! no i haven't read eat to live, although i intend on checking it out now. i love to read so i'm on it! i found brenden's book very interesting as well. a lot of what he said made a lot of sense to me. have you ever been to any of his seminars? it seems that most are in canada or california. not too local for me, i'm in pittsburgh, pa.

i really appreciate the info!!!