Macronutrient balancing

Hi!

I would like some advice on how people are balancing carbs, fats, and proteins in their diets. I was feeling very week and sought the expertise of a nutritionist who has advised that all of my meals be macronutrient balanced. I was eating too many fruits in the morning and spiking my blood sugars. I was not eating enough protein as well. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have bought vegan protein, but it is not very tasty. My diet is rather complex b/c I am also allergic to wheat, soy, and corn. Adding that to being a vegan is a challenge!

Eat whole foods (ie fruits and veggies) then go ask your nutrition person to name one person on the planet, that eats enough calories and who is protein deficient. There is no such thing. If you're worried for some reason or you want to calm the nutrition person down, have some beans and/or oats.

And about the sugar spike. Basiacally the whole of Asia eats white rice, which have a higher glycemic index than any fruit. They're not fat, they don't have diabetes (not as much as they get when they move to the US and start gobbling down protein and fat) and they don't have anything like all the strange problems we have in the west.

You will get better nutritional advice from comic books than you would from bodybuilding magazines and nutritionists. Proceed with scepticism and common sense would be my advice.

Unless you are always hungry or only eat sugar and fat you aren't protein deficient. If you get enough calories its hard not to get enough protein. As for what food balance you want it all depends on goals. Everyone should be eating as many fruits and veggies as they can stand but if you have fitness goals you may need to be more strict.

I'm a big fan of Dr. Graham at www.foodnsport.com who recommends 80% carbs, 10% protein, and 10% fat. According to him, problems with fruit in the morning stem from too much fat eaten the night before because the fat is still being processed by your body therefore creating the insulin spike. Try reading his book. I agree also that most nutritionists these days have received their training funded in large part by the meat/dairy industry so their advice should be taken with a grain of salt.

Read also "The China Study" by Dr. Colin Campbell for more insight about the misinformation out there and what good human nutrition is all about.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice. The nutritionist that I have consulted is actually holistic in nature, and she is a good resource. I understand everyone's concern, however. There are a lot of so-called professionals out there lacking sound nutritional advice under the guidance of research catered to the dairy, meat, and other industries.

I run marathons, and I have started to get serious about road biking, which means I need more protein in my diet. I also am chronically cold intolerant, which could be a sign of protein deficiency. I am taking a vegan protein powder now, and I am going to look into VEGA. I found some recipes for making my own protein bars too, but I have to alter them to be vegan.

If anyone wants to read a really interesting, credible article on topics like macronutrient balancing, acid-base balance, etc. go to:http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/81/2/341#SEC5. It talks about our ancestor's traditional diets and how waivering from it in more modern times has presented various chronic diseases.

I think my biggest need right now is to balance my nutritional intake with work, working out, ect. I am finding it difficult to eat consistently throughout the day b/c I am a nurse, and my job affords me little or no breaks. This makes me horribly hungry at the end of a shift. Then I run toward food afterwards. Darn work

Hello,

unfortunately at last time i think that carbs make me fat.

Since last week i eat the following things the day, and i get fatter and fatter. But i think is nearly the Dr. Graham formular

Therefore i can´t belive that some people loose weight with eating mainly fruits.

This week i gain 2 kilos.

2 pear

1 apple

1 banana

1 Vega Shake (with unsweetend soya milk and 2 tablespoon flaxseed)

one huge salad

half sugar melon

2 peaches

4 peaches

1 pineapple

huge salda

1 vega shake (with unsweetend soya milk and 2 tablespoon flaxseed

250 blueberrys

2 peaches

Greeting Sonne (Excuse me for my bad english)

If you are running marathons and biking, then you perhaps just need more calories overall. How many calories a day (approx) are you getting now? If you just eat more of what you are eating now, you'll get more protein anyway.

Most mornings I have a smoothie made of spinach, apple, pear, banana, and Vega or hemp. It's pretty fruit-heavy, but I also have the extra protein of the vega or hemp in there. That might work for you as those protein sources shouldn't have any of the ingredients you're allergic to.

Hello,

unfortunately at last time i think that carbs make me fat.

Since last week i eat the following things the day, and i get fatter and fatter. But i think is nearly the Dr. Graham formular

Therefore i can´t belive that some people loose weight with eating mainly fruits.

This week i gain 2 kilos.

2 pear

1 apple

1 banana

1 Vega Shake (with unsweetend soya milk and 2 tablespoon flaxseed)

one huge salad

half sugar melon

2 peaches

4 peaches

1 pineapple

huge salda

1 vega shake (with unsweetend soya milk and 2 tablespoon flaxseed

250 blueberrys

2 peaches

Greeting Sonne (Excuse me for my bad english)

Hello and welcome! From what I can tell, you're not really following Dr. Graham's formula. If you're gaining weight, you're eating more calories than you're using. Chart your caloric intake with www.nutritiondata.com or www.fitday.com and calculate how much you should be eating according to your activity level. You're absolutely right however that you can gain weight on fruit too-unlike what most people think.

I think my biggest need right now is to balance my nutritional intake with work, working out, ect. I am finding it difficult to eat consistently throughout the day b/c I am a nurse, and my job affords me little or no breaks. This makes me horribly hungry at the end of a shift. Then I run toward food afterwards. Darn work

Idea. How about bringing smoothies that you can quickly drink while at work so you're not ravenous at the end of a shift? Might help. Ciao