First time bulk

Bockman

Hey, I'm new here (I'll introduce myself further in the right forum).

I have a question to you all, and would be thankful if you shared your experiences...

I have been underweight (54 kg, 174 cm, 20 years old), and now I'm 60 kg (about 130 lbs?) - I have little to no progress in my training, so I've thought about bulking up.

But... I am afraid of doing it. I know that it ain't dangerous etc, but I wonder if you could share your experiences with bulking (first time bulk, thoughts, advices - I have read the sticky...)

Thanks,

Bockman

Welcome, Bockman!

I will be starting my first attempt at serious bulking next month. I can tell you what my trainer's plan is for me and the reasoning behind it.

We'll be training with more weight, less reps and to failure on each exercise. It will be mostly compound exercises. No training session will go beyond 60 minutes and I'll cut down my cardio to no more than 3 times per week (30-45 minutes). Compound exercises are best at building bulk and too much cardio will work against you.

I'll sleep at least 7 hours per night, 8 if possible. This is key, as muscle grows during your down time and certain stress hormones (especially cortisol) can keep you from building. These hormones remain elevated if you don't get enough sleep.

Eating may be different for me than for you. I'm looking to put on 1 pound of muscle per week with little fat. I'll only add 500 calories per day. I have a difficult time putting on muscle and find that I need at least 100 grams of protein per day to do so. I am 178 cm and 63 kg so I believe you would need the same amount of protein, but possibly more.

I'll also be eating carbs and protein immediately following my training sessions. And I'll spread my food intake evenly over the day, eating every 3 hours (carbs and protein in every meal). Spreading out your eating means your muscles are always being fed and there are no excessive periods of caloric intake that will be stored as fat.

That's my plan and we won't know how well it works until I do it. I will definitely keep a journal and will change the plan if nothing happens in the first 2 weeks. I find a journal to be invaluable if you don't want to waste time doing the same ineffective plan.

I assume you're male so you may be able to put on more muscle than I (I'm female) considering your testosterone levels. From what I've read on this forum, you may need to eat a LOT more than usual in order to bulk up. I'm sure someone else will jump in here and give you some advice and encouragement soon.

Good luck. I hope we hear about your progress.

Thanks DV

Well, I think I'll head for 250-300 kcal extra, as I believe it is enough.

My current work-out is a full-body workout 3 days a week, and I'm focusing on compund exercises.

One question about cardio: would walking count as cardio? I love to take a walk in the woods or by the sea, and I'm doing it quite often.

And I am male, that's right. And I guess I have to eat a lot... I'm having a free year (I'm burned out and exhausted mentally), so I can focus on training and nutrition. the "negative" side of this is that I'm quite active, probably walking 1-2 houres every day (I spend much time outside... it's my preferred place of meditation.).

I have usually eat about 2500-2600 kcal, and I don't know if I should eat more. You see, my underweight was caused by bulemia/anorexia nevrosa... and I... ehm, have this fear of gaining fat.

We have a few members who have had bulimia and/or anorexia. I think most people interested in bodybuilding are somewhat fearful of fat, regardless of any eating issues. So welcome to the club!

If you are not gaining any weight on your current diet, then adding 200-300 more calories per day will result in less than a pound of muscle gain per week. You need to eat more if you want to gain more. Almost everyone gains some fat when bulking as it's not an exact science and your body isn't always consistent. So long as you then lose the fat in a fat loss phase, it's no big deal.

If you walk every day then your body is accustomed to that level of activity and your caloric intake. Whether or not it counts as an aerobic activity really depends on how high your heart rate gets (if you consider an aerobic activity one that conditions your heart). Some people believe you should do no aerobic activity during bulking because then during the fat lose phase you have to step up your aerobic activity a lot in order to lose. I love that theory because I hate aerobic excercise, but I don't know if it works for everyone.

Doing a full body workout 3 times a week does not leave enough time for full recovery and therefore makes it difficult, if not impossible, to bulk. If you want to build muscle, you must push your muscles to failure (high weights, lower reps, to exhaustion) and give them time to recover. The time spent outside the gym is just as important as the time spent in the gym.

These are my opinions only, although they're founded on some research. I am not a trainer but I work with one (a good one at that). I'm a nurse with minor studies in nutrition. So take what you want from my opinions but definitely do your own research and pay attention to what works best for you.

Good luck!

Thanks again... yeah, I think it'll somewhat be healthy for me to gain some fat (because then I'll see that it's not "dangerous").

I believe a full body workout would do just fine - I've tried splits, but they doesn't suit me... I prefer to work my entire body.

Muscles are recovered after 48 hours, so 3 trainings a week is fine, I think... as long as I rest enough and eat enough.

See, I'm a restless soul, used to be active - thus the whole idea of gaining fat or muscles seems weird to me, as I've never been fat nor muscular.

But the whole activity thing is the reason why I'm having this year free.. so perhaps I should slow down.

Bockman,

While it is true that muscles can recover in 48 hours, it is not possible to work each muscle group to failure 3 times per week as three full body workouts without sacrificing muscle gain. Working out longer than 60 minutes can take your body from an anabolic (muscle building) state to a catabolic (muscle breakdown) state. It takes me 45-60 minutes to work my back and biceps, for instance, to failure with just 3-4 exercises per body part with 1-2 minute rests between sets. If I added in all the other body parts, I couldn't work them adequately for growth.

I really hope that someone else jumps in here to give you their experience on bulking. I will say that if you have just described the workout that you've been doing with no results, then it's time to change. Indeed, you should change your routine on a regular basis anyway because your body will adapt to whatever workout you have and become efficient at not changing.

Edited by DV

Just don't make the common mistake that alot of bodybuilders make when they talk about "bulking up". It is basically their term for getting fat in between competitions. You can definitely build muscle while not adding fat (or even while reducing fat). The key is eating good clean food and a sensible training program. Peace.

Just don't make the common mistake that alot of bodybuilders make when they talk about "bulking up". It is basically their term for getting fat in between competitions. You can definitely build muscle while not adding fat (or even while reducing fat). The key is eating good clean food and a sensible training program. Peace.

Sorr for OT, but is this your picture in avatar?

Thanks again... yeah, I think it'll somewhat be healthy for me to gain some fat (because then I'll see that it's not "dangerous").

I believe a full body workout would do just fine - I've tried splits, but they doesn't suit me... I prefer to work my entire body.

Muscles are recovered after 48 hours, so 3 trainings a week is fine, I think... as long as I rest enough and eat enough.

See, I'm a restless soul, used to be active - thus the whole idea of gaining fat or muscles seems weird to me, as I've never been fat nor muscular.

But the whole activity thing is the reason why I'm having this year free.. so perhaps I should slow down.

You mind my asking what you are taking time off from and what you are planning to do after?

Yes.......that's me.

Yes.......that's me.

could you please write in some new topic what is your meal plan, how long do you exercise, something about yourself if its not a big problem.

I think you look pretty good from whom can people take an advice for them if they wanna look that way.