Does this Protein Powder (hemp, pea, etc mix) exist?

Nayr747

Did some searching but couldn't find my answer so thought I'd just ask. I'm ditching the soy protein powder (trader joe's) because I've heard it's bad. Hemp seems good but I've tried packets from Whole Foods and it tasted a lot worse than the vanilla soy stuff. It didn't dissolve either (pretty sand-like). Plus all the ones I've looked at like Nutiva are not that high in protein (~10 grams per 30g), while most soys are ~20-25. I am thinking that it would also be good to get the protein from many sources to balance things out, etc. So I'm wondering if there's a powder that's a mix of like hemp, pea, rice, etc. where maybe the hemp protein is isolated to increase the amount of protein. Does anyone know of a reasonably priced powder like this? Thanks!

Don't drop soy just because you heard its bad(unless your body has obvious disagreements with it)...it isn't but if you want other protein powders to mix things up thats fine. I took soy protein for years when I wasn't even vegan and I never had trouble. I know lots of others who have done the same as well. If you want something with a nice mix of hemp, rice, and pea I suggest VEGA...its not quite a protein powder but it has a lot of protein in it. Plus its also good for you. Problem is its not reasonably priced. You aren't gonna find something reasonably priced with hemp in it.

Ok, so I'm hearing Vega and something like Nutiva hemp. When I looked at the Vega it was way out of my price range so I guess I'll give just the hemp a try. Can anyone tell me if the Nutiva dissolves or at least mixes well in a blender? Is it noticeably worse to drink than the vanilla soys? I usually just do a banana, soy milk, water, ice and protein powder in a blender and it tastes pretty good.

And one other thing. I've noticed a couple of the essential amino acids are a lot lower than the others in the soy and hemp, etc. Can your body only use up to the amount of the lowest amino acid, if you know what i mean? Like if all the other ones are are 1.0 and tryptophan is 0.3, does that mean your body can only use up to 0.3 of the other amino acids too?

You don't really NEED protein powder. There are lots of ways to get more than enough protein without it. You can always count on beans, nuts, peas, and some veggies...its cheaper...better for you and tastes better.

The body breaks amino acids down according to needs, so you will absorb them all and utilize differently. I don't know where you heard what you just said. The body doesn't use a complete protein anyways.

The flavor takes some getting used to but It dissolves well. I learned to like it.

And one other thing. I've noticed a couple of the essential amino acids are a lot lower than the others in the soy and hemp, etc. Can your body only use up to the amount of the lowest amino acid, if you know what i mean? Like if all the other ones are are 1.0 and tryptophan is 0.3, does that mean your body can only use up to 0.3 of the other amino acids too?

GREAT question!!!! And the answer is? We don't know. There is a suggested ratio of essential amino acid intake developed by a few international agencies, however, there's been little quality research (as far as I can determine) on what is the best ratio of particular amino acids for different human conditions.

Your body needs amino acids to make muscle, white blood cells, red blood cells, enzymes, skin, other blood components, etc. How can we ever know what particular amino acids your body needs during times of stress vs. bodybuilding vs. illness vs. menstruation vs. injury vs. etc., etc. etc.? My brain aches just thinking of how difficult it would be to develop the experiments!

We are truly still in the dark ages of human nutrition. Some questions have not been answered, yet there is always someone who will give an uneducated answer. Many times it's someone (NOT anyone who answered in this thread) who is trying to sell you something. {Notice that when you purchase a block of tofu or an apple that the nutritional contents are not broken down into each amino acid}. A varied omni (read balanced) diet and a varied vegan diet have both been proven to provide all the essential amino acids necessary to both stay healthy and build muscle. We're all responsible for reading through the hype.

Your body needs amino acids to make muscle, white blood cells, red blood cells, enzymes, skin, other blood components, etc. How can we ever know what particular amino acids your body needs during times of stress vs. bodybuilding vs. illness vs. menstruation vs. injury vs. etc., etc. etc.? My brain aches just thinking of how difficult it would be to develop the experiments!

I'm amazed that there hasn't been any of this testing yet. There is so much money in this I can't believe it hasn't been done. Luckily to get any real results I can imagine most biochemists would recognize you couldn't get much from animal testing doing this. Personally I think people probably vary considerably in terms of what aminos they need for a PERFECT(sounds crazy) protein. I'm thinking sex, age, and race/region of the world would have a fairly significant influence on this.

Thanks for the great responses. (OT)The basics of nutrition are pretty straightforeward though and could (and should) be taught to everyone. I'm mainly wondering because I'm trying to make the biggest possible gains from working out. I'm half-assing it right now but I'd like to go from my present weight of 138 to 170 within a year (if that's possible). I'm a bit of a hard gainer so it won't be easy. I'd like to find out stuff like timing of certain foods, amounts, quality, etc though so I can get the best gains.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Agreed with potter, soy protein is good when its suits to your body. I used soy protein for years. So don’t think it is harmful to your health. But depends from where you buy supplement. Always buy supplement from branded store. I trust on bayho.com it’s one of the best online store for buying nutrition, vitamins, supplements and all you want.

Good Luck

Don't drop soy just because you heard its bad(unless your body has obvious disagreements with it)...it isn't but if you want other protein powders to mix things up thats fine. I took soy protein for years when I wasn't even vegan and I never had trouble. I know lots of others who have done the same as well. If you want something with a nice mix of hemp, rice, and pea I suggest VEGA...its not quite a protein powder but it has a lot of protein in it. Plus its also good for you. Problem is its not reasonably priced. You aren't gonna find something reasonably priced with hemp in it.

I agree with you VP. It's a great product with a lot of protein in it. It's more or less a "meal substitute".

Does anyobody happen to know whether VEGA has caffeine in it?

I'm not sure if it's appropriate to suggest this at this point, but I'll post it in the event anyone wants to take a look at this. I use Pure Advantage Vegan Complete Meal Replacement with Multi-GuarD. (Long title....). You can find it at http://www.purevegan.net and at Vegan Essentials. It has 26g of Pea and Rice Protein per scoop and tons of vitamins and amino acids. It's a light powder and blends super easily - more easily than any other brand I've ever used - and it tastes delicious. I use the vanilla flavor and it's so tasty, you could literally just eat it out of the tub it comes in. (I don't do that, honest. ) It is a bit pricey, though - $32.95 a tub.