long muscles

I'm not sure if height makes much difference, but the shape of the muscle is genetically determined and depends among other things were exactly it attaches to the bone structure.

You can of course change the size of muscle, and your perceived lack of 'round definition' might very well be a problem that is solved by adding more mass .

As a tall woman, I can say that short women have an easier time at getting that rounded look with much less muscle mass. IMO, taller women (and men) need to add much more muscle mass to get the same look precisely because of the length of our muscles. That's why some bodybuilding competitions are divided by height (I think).

Tall people definitely have longer muscles, and tall people also have disproportionate leg and arm lengths compared to short people. Having long muscles fibers also makes it harder to break your muscle down as they don't tear as those from shorter people...its quite obvious when looking at sprinters. The short sprinters have great fast starts compared to the taller sprinters...unfortunately one of the consequences to being shorter seems to relate greatly to more muscle pulls. Track athletes that have long careers tend to be taller than the rest of those they compete against...the same thing goes for shot putters and discus throwers....who are essentially out of season bodybuilders. The short ones tend to retire by the time they hit 30 while some of the taller ones go into their 40s...and in one case his 50s.

Yes, the taller you are the more muscle you have to add to get the same shape. I'm almost 6'3", and I've noticed this.

However, I see it as an advantage. Think of it this way, you may have to work harder and add more mass to get the same shape as someone shorter, but a muscle that you have that looks the same as a muscle someone else has, is bigger and stronger in reality, due to the proportion differences.

Do you think a tall person would have a more difficult time creating rounder muscles?

The reason i am asking is because i am 5'11" tall and i can;t seam to get any round definition to muscles like my calf muscles, biceps, triceps, and so on

-Ann

I used to have the same problem in the beginning. With time they will shape up (with my experience). I think longer muscles look better than shorter rounder ones. Always looks leaner when longer.

Do you think a tall person would have a more difficult time creating rounder muscles?

The reason i am asking is because i am 5'11" tall and i can;t seam to get any round definition to muscles like my calf muscles, biceps, triceps, and so on

-Ann

Abso-friggin-lutely. The longer the muscles, the harder it is to put on muscles. Its a simple surface-area problem, you may have more surface area in your muscles than someone shorter but you essentially have the same volume which means they can pack more "punch" in their workout and destroy more muscle fibers. However, I always think longer leaner muscles look better.

One thing to look at too is how much larger someone looks thats tall. A short but fit woman with decent muscle mass thats 5'2" can doesn't look imposing at all. But stretch her out to 6' and she'd look huge.

I definitely agree... I'm 6'2" tall, and when I'm working out I frequently see guys much shorter than me lifting the same weights as I do. These guys always "appear" to have bigger muscles, even though we in fact have similar strength.

-Chris

Short people are actually technically weaker if you're lifting the same weight. They have a shorter distance to move the weight(which also means each rep is faster) and when it comes to weight being far from you're body the length of you're bones makes the weight heavier due to leverage.