mac danzigs' diet

xjohanx

I love that he realizes he doesn't need tons and tons of protein...and he obviously has a more rigorous training regimen than pretty much everyone here. I hope this makes people think twice about how they eat considering he is more muscular than most despite training thats meant to make sure he doesn't get too big.

I love that he realizes he doesn't need tons and tons of protein...and he obviously has a more rigorous training regimen than pretty much everyone here. I hope this makes people think twice about how they eat considering he is more muscular than most despite training thats meant to make sure he doesn't get too big.

He has only been vegan for 2 years, that body wasn't built as a vegan.

Don't be ridiculous. He's no monstrous guy. And he maintains his size on a vegan diet...a size he could have easily gotten to without meat considering the training he does. If he didn't train so hard he'd definitely be a lot bigger too.

I don't get why people say stuff like this. It's no harder gaining muscle eating vegan as eating meat. If any thing it's easier if your smart becasue you can recover quicker

I guess he's the anti-vegan vegan. Its time to drop the brainwashing vegans have from their previous ways. Its insane that even to this day(not in this case per say) there are even vegans that think they are seriously sacrificing their health for animals.

For example, I walk at 168lbs and I usually eat between 100 and 140 grams of protein per day when I'm in grueling, peak training...

For the purpose of my example, let's assume Mac is at 6% bodyfat:

This makes his "lean body mass" 157.92lbs

Most "bodybuilders" seem to aim for a minimum of 1g of protein per day, per pound of lean body mass. That would translate into a minimum of about 158g of protein per day for a 168lb Mac Danzig... Mac says he eats 140g of protein some days...

Like potter said, his training is more intense than most bodybuilders. Most people who only train in bodybuilding would not necessarily fare well in rigorous martial arts training. Totally different sports...

That being said, Mac is not training to build "muscle mass". He is training to maintain the strength and endurance required to compete in intense MMA bouts which typically last less than 30 minutes. That is a totally different goal from bodybuilders, who typically only care about gaining as much mass as possible, as quickly as possible.

I definitely would not call his diet "low-protein" considering his athletic goals. He is not training to gain muscle! He is training to maintain his strength (and weight class) while conditioning his cardio for the intensity of combat.

Yes, he has a nice, physique! But it's like comparing a triathlete, cyclist, or runner to a bodybuilder... Different goals altogether!!!

-Chris

well he's only 5'8'' and probably some where around 6 percent body fat like you said, so 168 is pretty big considering all the cardio training he does. most fighters don't lifts for size at least the smart ones. They try to build functional strength. I don't know if you've ever grappled with a top notch grappler, but if you haven't you'd be amazing by there strength to size ratio. When i first started training i thought i would be able to out muscle people becasue i was pretty strong and a lean 185, but i was getting man handled by people that where 145 pounds. there's a big difference between body building strength and athltic strength

well he's only 5'8'' and probably some where around 6 percent body fat like you said, so 168 is pretty big considering all the cardio training he does. most fighters don't lifts for size at least the smart ones. They try to build functional strength. I don't know if you've ever grappled with a top notch grappler, but if you haven't you'd be amazing by there strength to size ratio. When i first started training i thought i would be able to out muscle people becasue i was pretty strong and a lean 185, but i was getting man handled by people that where 145 pounds. there's a big difference between body building strength and athltic strength

This is exactly my point... He is not attempting to build mass, he is attempting to build "functional strength and endurance in an MMA setting"... Big difference!

An experienced grappler/fighter will man-handle an inexperienced guy of greater size who doesn't train extensively in martial arts.

I have been on both sides of this equation... Guys with less experience who are much bigger than me saying "wow, your way stronger than you look" and guys much smaller than me (with more extensive training) outclassing me in sparring matches.

-Chris

I don't get why people say stuff like this. It's no harder gaining muscle eating vegan as eating meat. If any thing it's easier if your smart becasue you can recover quicker

i totally get it. it's important. just look at all the shit vegans get at mainstream boydbuilding sites. they always say stuff like "yeah but you started bodybuilding while eating dairy" and some lunatics even say that "this doesn't prove anything cause you weren't vegan from birth".

it's not about if WE think it's harder or not being a vegan athlete, it's what the others think.

so the fact that he wasn't vegan untill like 3 years ago is something other will argue about and we need to be able to face those arguments and so on.

For example, I walk at 168lbs and I usually eat between 100 and 140 grams of protein per day when I'm in grueling, peak training...

For the purpose of my example, let's assume Mac is at 6% bodyfat:

This makes his "lean body mass" 157.92lbs

Most "bodybuilders" seem to aim for a minimum of 1g of protein per day, per pound of lean body mass. That would translate into a minimum of about 158g of protein per day for a 168lb Mac Danzig... Mac says he eats 140g of protein some days...

Like potter said, his training is more intense than most bodybuilders. Most people who only train in bodybuilding would not necessarily fare well in rigorous martial arts training. Totally different sports...

That being said, Mac is not training to build "muscle mass". He is training to maintain the strength and endurance required to compete in intense MMA bouts which typically last less than 30 minutes. That is a totally different goal from bodybuilders, who typically only care about gaining as much mass as possible, as quickly as possible.

I definitely would not call his diet "low-protein" considering his athletic goals. He is not training to gain muscle! He is training to maintain his strength (and weight class) while conditioning his cardio for the intensity of combat.

Yes, he has a nice, physique! But it's like comparing a triathlete, cyclist, or runner to a bodybuilder... Different goals altogether!!!

-Chris

very very very well said

I began lifting when I still ate dairy, but all i got was fat and I lost some weight. meaning I lost strength. I gained strength and weight on a vegan diet. It's possible. 100 g does not sound like much if you want to be massive. Maybe Roid Rage would shed some light here.

I was very strong before I went vegan. But my progress slowed drastically...and pretty much peaked for two years. Once I went vegan my maxes shot up like crazy even though I wasn't in a strength phase. I think thats evidence that if I was always vegan I would have been much stronger...I can't see it any other way and it would be stupid to say I was so strong because I wasn't always vegan.

I tried to get on the site and ask Mac how he would eat if he were trying to gain weight, but could not get on to it. Would one of you try? It looks like he responded to others who added comments. Maybe you could even direct him to this thread.

Thanks,

Veg

I'm sure he's a busy guy. He's probably gets dozens of emails every day from vegans wanting advice and non vegans that are curious. I wouldn't expect to hear back and wouldn't hold it against him if he never returned a message.

He has an agent to go through. Though I'm sure direct contact is possible, like it is for nearly anyone if you know the right channels to go through, getting in touch with his agent is a good way to get in touch with him.

I may see him in a couple of weeks. Not sure, but I may catch up with him soon.