Neck Strengthening exercises

They make special harnesses that mount to the back of your head...you use them with a floor located cable. Then you basically kick your head back while being bent over. We used these in high school but we also had a neck machine for strengthening our necks too.

They make special harnesses that mount to the back of your head...you use them with a floor located cable. Then you basically kick your head back while being bent over. We used these in high school but we also had a neck machine for strengthening our necks too.

These both sound like options,

I've not seen either of them here in Australia, so I'll have to do some research and find out...

I googled Neck exercises and it shows people doing Neck bridges. These look pretty dangerous to me or at the very least a pretty advanced exercise, so I want to start slow and work my way up.

The IronMind one that Ralst posted is quite good - I have one, but fail to use it often enough to build my uneven neck. You can use it for front or rear neck raises as well as supports (basically, have weight just hang from your head with it). Definitely a good thing, but it is a bit pricey.

Otherwise, the cheapest option that I used to do is -

Lie on your bed the wrong way, head hanging off the end. Wrap a weight plate (start light with something like 10 lb.) in a towel, or, put a soft pillow under it, set plate on your forehead. Let it weight your head back down toward the floor, extend your head back up, repeat. You can do that one in all directions, but once you get above 25-35 lbs. it gets pretty tough to rest it on your forehead or on the back/sides for this one.

If all else fails, I've heard it recommended to just use your hand as resistance for sets of neck work in all directions. No excuse to not be able to do that one!

Thanks Ralst and VeganEssentials,

The Ironmind looks pretty good, I might have to put aside some cash for one of those.

In the Meantime, I'm going to start doing the exercises Ryan posted.

They were just what I was looking for, so thanks for that.

My neck is really quiet skinny compared to the rest of me, so I need to add some thickness.

I realise most people on here don't know about Rugby, or what is involved in it, But it looks like I'll be playing Second Row (In the Scrum) and also doing alot of Rucks and Mauls - I realise this probably makes no sense to you but it pretty much equals, plenty of opportunities to strain your neck.

I realise most people on here don't know about Rugby, or what is involved in it, But it looks like I'll be playing Second Row (In the Scrum) and also doing alot of Rucks and Mauls - I realise this probably makes no sense to you but it pretty much equals, plenty of opportunities to strain your neck.

I don't know much about Rugby, but are there any positions where there aren't plenty of opportunities to strain your neck?

I don't know much about Rugby, but are there any positions where there aren't plenty of opportunities to strain your neck?

Ummm When you are my size and build, the simple answer is pretty much No

The smaller faster guys play in the backs, and that's not me...

This is an ebook I am posting often lately, but it is worth it [found it in another fitness forum].

It not weights but calysthenics/strength training only, and it has something for the neck as well. At least you have about six or seven exercises to alternate, and dont need to buy anything

I recommend back briding. If you do any type of grappling this is one of the most important exercies, so if your looking for a strong neck look into what good grapplers are doing. It looks dangerous, but in my opinion it's dangerios to do any extreme type sport without alot of neck strengh and flexablity. Not only does it make your neck strong it makes your spine strech out. Before doing alot of neck bridging i had alot of back problems, but now my back is much better

I recommend back briding. If you do any type of grappling this is one of the most important exercies, so if your looking for a strong neck look into what good grapplers are doing. It looks dangerous, but in my opinion it's dangerios to do any extreme type sport without alot of neck strengh and flexablity. Not only does it make your neck strong it makes your spine strech out. Before doing alot of neck bridging i had alot of back problems, but now my back is much better

I second this method. I used to do it for gymnastics and now I find myself doing it for bboying.

Its also a good way to condition your skull bones and make them stronger.

Rugby is awesome!! Is it the 15 or the 7 guy version?

I never back up my neck with my hands when I do situps, that way the neck gets a beating too.

Hey Offfense,

It's the 15 guy version,

I'm enjoying it so far, it's a tough, hard game, plus it's also an awesome workout.