Howdy from The Daily Raw

thedailyraw

Hi my name is Terilynn and I'm a raw foodie in Denver. I just finished a 93-day juice feast in early March and I feel great and I have an abundance of energy and I'm loving life.

A friend of mine wondered if you can build a fitness body on a raw plant-based diet. Always up for a challenge I have decided to do a 12 week Raw Fit Challenge (starts Monday March 24).

I want to create a Fitness model body eating only uncooked, unprocessed foods. I need help.

I first went raw 4 years ago and although I haven't been 100% the entire time, I was more raw than not.,

I need guidance with the weight training and eating raw.

Am I throwing feathers in the wind? Or is there anyone out there who would love to see me succeed.

I am blogging at tlepperson.blogspot.com about the experience. I'm going to use a modified version of the Body for Life exercise program with heavy cardio. My amino acids (protein) will come from fresh green leafy vegetables, Spirulina, Maca, fruits and some nuts and seeds.

What am I overlooking? What do I need to consider? Any guidance would be appreciated.

Peace and Love,

Terilynn

Welcome to the forum You can definitely do what you want on a raw diet. I think it takes a little more resilience in terms of filling your body up more(since raw food has less calories than processed food) and staying stuffed but its more than possible.

Welcome, Terilynn!

I think Lean & Green may be the best person to help you out. He has been HUGE and in really good trim while being mostly and/or fully on raw diet.

Just look at the Before & After section to see what L&G has look like while being raw, I think that is a perfect answer for this:

A friend of mine wondered if you can build a fitness body on a raw plant-based diet.

See for yourself.

I really want to see raw foodies succeed, hope you'll have great results like many of us here already have! (although I'm not on raw diet myself)

Flanders....That fruit hat ensemble puts the chiquita banana girl's outfit to shame!

Terilynn, congratulations on such a vigorous juice feast! I'm curious to know a breakdown of what kind of juicing you consumed after like, say, the 30 day marker. Very impressive. I have done extensive fasting but no longer than 17 days; it just wasn't sustainable, I needed my calories (which I am sure is possible by doing 'feasting' as opposed to 'fasting').

Have you any experience in the realm of fitness, what kind? Experience helps but determination supercedes all and you seem to have much of that!

I do not know anything about the Body for Life program but several of the members here have expressed how effective and ideal it is wen modified to fit a vegan lifestyle and I respect their opinions so I would say, go for it.

How bout getting in some seaweed for amino acids as well, gotta love the taste of dulse. Do you supplement you fresh produce with anything such as algae (chlorella, spirulina, wild blue green, phytoplankton), grasses (barley, kamut, wheat) and hemp?

Heavy cardio after a 93 day juice feast; how much have you leaned out? Perhaps you would want to include a fair amount of resistance training to increase your lean body mass composition?

You could probably maintain your lbm on a juice feast but I bet it would be easier to increase lbm with the addition of solid food, mainly because I would imagine it to be easier to consume more calories?

If there is one solid piece of advice that I could think of above and beyond anything else you could soak in, I would say to not be afraid to EAT EAT EAT (Tuc is a good example of someone who isn't afraid to take packed in the calories and has thus reaped the benefits)! Many people who systematically undereat to cleanse/detox/transition and/or fast and consume most of their intake from blending and jucing forget what it feels like to eat. They lose the sensation and enjoyment of indulging. I, for one, have done this in the past. When you are used to a restricted caloric intake, you may have to condition yourself to eat in excess of your daily requirements in calories and sometimes even 'shove' food down.

The only way you are going to truly grow, is if you feed your body more calories than it needs to maintain. I see the problem among so many raw foodists and vegans as well as if they almost have an eating disorder as opposed to a specific sort of diet. I feel that when eating raw, many of the dishes have a ridiculous amount of calories and are very dense, so it shouldn't be that hard to do so.

Think of some good things to ask and post away. There are many members who post and read all the threads on the daily as well as raw foodists who do the same so take advantage of it before your challenge starts.

oh yea and Welcome!!!

Thank you all for the warm welcome! When I was juice feasting I did cardio 5-6 times a week. I had an insane amount of energy, it was bizarre.

I added weight training on day 60. But it was light weights/hight reps once or twice a week. I was drinking a gallon plus juices a day, plus I consumed hemp oil, coconut oil, Green powder and coconut water. My favorite juice combination was spinach/celery/carrot and grapefruit juice. I drank alot of kale/cucumber/celery.

I did lose alot of weight juice feasting but I'm not sure how to tell how much muscle (if any) I've lost. I have nice muscle tone not flabby everything seems tighter after the weight loss but there's not the definition I'm going for with the Raw Fit Challenge. I want to develop that hard body. I never really had that before.

I know my way around the weights but I didn't really train for any length of time or heavy enough to put a dent in my workouts. Until now.

Seaweed will be a big part of my diet also. I make a really tasty seaweed chowder recipe that I eat often. I also have a raw-food recipe based blog called the Daily Raw Cafe (thedailyrawcafe.com). So fortunately, I'm not short of raw food recipes.

Lean and Green, should I be shooting for eating every 2-3 hours? Does that sound about right? Also what about the raw fats (nuts, seeds, avocados) should I be careful of how much I eat of those?

Thank you for your help!

Peace and love,

Terilynn

should I be shooting for eating every 2-3 hours? Does that sound about right? Also what about the raw fats (nuts, seeds, avocados) should I be careful of how much I eat of those?

I used to be obsessed with the eat every three hours principle but not anymore. It is easier on your digestive system and such but I don't particularly feel it is crucial for a more effective metabolism or what have you. I feel like that idea came about because of our digestive system being compared to that of neandrathals and how they stored food and it supposedly didn't burn because their bodies did not know when the next time they would receive a meal was. Have we not evolved since then? I can't remember where I heard this or the exact was it was phrased but that just made sense to me. It can be tiresome and a bit of a chore to eat so frequent. In your case I would just make sure to get the adequate caloric intake you need on a daily basis to make sure you fuel your muscles, especially since you have probably ate less than you needed to maintain lbm for a several months. If eating every 3 hrs makes that possible then do so. If you can do it in 4 meals and a mini snack or two, then go that route.

You know the whole fatty raw foods thing is so weird. For myself, I was once upon a time able to eat primarily fatty seeds, fruits and nuts and I was very very trim and super lean, even when I was inactive. Now my body has turned on me and if I were to implement a whole lot of fats in my diet, I would blow up very quickly. Simple sugars, like fruits used to be the bain of my diet but now they seem to be the most effective intake of calories for me.

I guess what I am trying to point out is that you have to listen to your body and see for yourself what it agrees with and what it doesn't and know that can change at any given moment. They are a great source of calories, though and if gaining lbm is your objective, nuts seeds and fatty fruits are a great way to do so without having 7 plates of food every sitting....

Lean and Green,

I get what you're saying. Since I have such a structured workout program, I'll lighten up a bit on the eating. I'll pay close attention to what the body tells me.

Tasha,

It was more of a juice feast (more about abundance) compared to a fast. I drank all the juices (more than a gallon a day) I wanted without feeling deprived. If you want to know more about juice feasting visit juicefeasting.com. I didn't do it through a fasting retreat, but I did visit the website often for guidance.

I had wicked, crazy energy during the feast. It was very trippy in a good, non-drug way. You wouldn't think you would have so much energy but you do. I did some major detoxing, both physical and emotional.