Just starting out

Hi folks,

Glad to have found you. I am not a bodybuilder but I know you guys have written the book on losing fat whilst maintaining muscle mass so I am hoping you can advise me on my journey to a healthy vegan lifestyle.

I have been weight training for the last 3 months and eating an omni diet to lose my baby weight (55lbs-twins!) using the general principles of BFL and BFFM and have been very impressed with how easy-ish it was. I'm at my pre-pregnancy weight and I would like to lose another 5-10lbs of fat at a slow pace while I transition to a vegan diet.

It was easy to choose an animal protein, a carb and add a veggie. How do you go about meal planning now that the protein list contains foods that are mostly a mix of protein/carbs/fat? Do you have a different mind set. I don't really want to switch meat for a meat analogue-it would be nice to stick with minimally processed foods.

Do you need less/more calories on a vegan diet? I am noticing that I am colder and hungrier than before-is this common?

What are your macro nutrient ratios?

What are your go-to items that you keep handy in the fridge? How much do you rely on shakes?

I guess I have a lot of questions! I will stop here for now. If anyone knows of a good veg trainer/nutritionist in portland please pass their name along.

Thanks

mieke

Hello Mieke,

That is alot of questions.

BFL is a great program and good head start. If you stuck with a similar program and kept the carb and replaced the animal protein with a Vegan source that is low in carbs you would be in good shape. Seitan, High Protein Tofu, Tempeh and Soy/Pea/Hemp or Buckwheat Protein Shakes are all good bets.

As far as a trainer, I do not know of one in Portland but I've helped many people with their diet and training by my Online Personal Training and Diet program if you ever want to check it out

All tofu is high in protein. Other protein rich foods you should try are: raw almonds, raw seeds, hemp, oatmeal, vegan cereal (I suggest Nature's Path.. Very tasty) tempeh, seitan, whole grain foods.. There are tons. Take a look at some of our member's food blogs to get an idea of what our diets look like. I eat a source of protein with every meal. If you're having a salad, sprinkle nuts and seeds on it. For a quick protein rich drink, have a glass of rice or soy milk. Veganism is really easy!

Thanks melissa.

Where do you find high protein tofu? I shop at whole foods but I have never noticed it.

mieke

They do have it at Whole Foods and also at Trader Joes.

Regular tofu has about 7 - 8 grams of protein per 3 oz and the High Protein Tofu has 14 grams per 3 oz. It comes in a large block. My Whole Foods definitely carries it.

rice milk has basically no protein.

QFT

Soy basically has the best protein out of all the drinks you can get. I've tried Rice milk( Just not Almond Milk yet ) and I've checked the protein and Soy Milk has the best Protein.

Personally i'm very agaist soy and think it's a very bad protein souce even though it's high protein. Hemp, Spirulina, Chollea are all great sources alot with pretty much any fruit and veggie.

The brand of high protein tofu available here in Portland is Wild Wood Organics. I use a lot of soy protein and find it to be very conducive to building muscle. Hemp protein has not been isolated enough so you pay a lot of money for the carbs (and fat if you are eating the seeds) that go with it. Spirulina and Chollea are expensive as well. I don't know the amino acid profile or the bioavailability of those powders so cannot really give an opinion on them.

I use protein powders but I didn't before I started training. An easy way to track your macro (and micro) nutrients is with www.nutritiondata.com. I don't know what the BFL program looks like, but I'm sure it can be done without animal products. The only programs that cannot be done without animal products are those that reduce ALL carbs to 20 gms a day (or some other low number). But those programs are not needed to lose bodyfat. They are made for those who don't understand the role that insulin plays in fat synthesis/breakdown but can follow an animal-product intensive diet. They are completely unnecessary and potentially dangerous (certainly lacking in nutrients) if done for a long time.

I hope that answered some of your questions. Good luck with your goals!