soy article from t-nation

Summary: We did a lot of reseach, soy doesn't seem to be a super food, but it doesn't seem to be a hazard either. We don't know anything so eat small amounts of traditional asian soy foods.

yeah that pretty much sums it up. i think it was cool that the authors mentioned dairys and meats impact on estrogen levels and testicular development. not often you see statements like that on t-nation.

the alcohol-part of the article was also very interesting

Also, alcohol increases the activity of aromatase, an enzyme that converts Testosterone to estrogen in the body.

I loved the article. Hopefully it changes the mind of people who swear by whey and bash soy. I found a funny reply to a post by this dude who obviously must suffer from some sort of learning disability.

I typed in "vegetarian" in T-Nation's search and clicked the first post.

One of the replies was:

I think you are facing an uphill battle, my friend. Whether you accept it or not, you're choice in diet is running directly counter to what is natural for your body. Can you survive on a diet that absent meat? Yes, but it won't be ideal. Can you thrive on such a diet? Only a small few with incredible genetics can withstand such abuse.

And, to be clear, it isn't about the macronutrients (i.e., protein). It is about the micronutrients that exist aplenty in meat products. The analogs found in plants have been repeatedly proven to be much tougher for humans to absorb and utilize. No matter the form, plants are, simply put, one of the poorer found sources for human beings of all that exist and you have choosen to limit yourself to that group almost exclusively. It will be tough, to say the least.

As I see them, your choices are (1) excel in lacrosse OR (2) remain a strict vegetarian. I do not believe you can do both, but I wish you the best.

Not to change the subject, but this was funny. BTW, the guy who made the thread wasn't really vegetarian; he said he ate as much fish as he could (what an idiot).

One of the authors posts on here. He is a vegan bodybuilder:

Ryan Andrews, former dietitian at the Johns Hopkins Weight Management Center, is trained in Exercise Physiology (BS, MA, CSCS), Nutrition (MS), and Dietetics (RD, LD). After leaving Johns Hopkins, Ryan began working with Dr. Berardi as the Director of Research for Precision Nutrition, Inc.

He's a nice guy. I've PMed him many times before.

Good article. The author knew the facts, such as soy phytoestrogen is estrogen neutral or anti-estrogen. Anytime you see the opposite, an article stating soy is pro-estorgen or increases your estrogen uptake, you know it is a crap article.

Ryan Andrews, former dietitian at the Johns Hopkins Weight Management Center, is trained in Exercise Physiology (BS, MA, CSCS), Nutrition (MS), and Dietetics (RD, LD). After leaving Johns Hopkins, Ryan began working with Dr. Berardi as the Director of Research for Precision Nutrition, Inc.

that's really cool. what's his username?

that's really cool. what's his username?

rdandrew

kewl. hope he can write more articles for t-nation. i really like the concept of that site but sometimes it gets really frustrating when they bash on veganism all the time.

I hear you.

I stick to reading the training articles and don't even bother looking at the eating ones. But supplements ones i do read.