Help Deciding Where to Move

Christoph

What about Canada? What areas of Canada would fit my descriptions? How hard is it for an American to live in Canada?

I'm not sure. I wanted to move to Canada once until I changed my mind. I was going to move to Montreal. You'd have to get a Canadian Citizenship and plus depending on where you live it will be rough. In Quebec I hear the majority speak French so unless you know a fair bit of French finding a job will be rough.

Hi!

This is one of my favorite subjects for researching & discussing. I dont have a lot of time so this response will not be as complete as I'd like it to be & I'll just try to hit a few key points.

- First, realize that its unlikely that you'll find one place that fits all of your hopes & dreams exactly. Second, realize that some places are definitely better matches for individuals than others - it's all about knowing yourself & what you need/want.

- Moving to Canada is a lot easier than moving to most other countries, particularly for a country that is consistently rated among the top 5 or so countries in the world to live in. I'd give southern British Columbia & Alberta a look.

- Wisconsin would be my first choice of of the great lakes states you mentioned.

- Overall, I most strongly suggest southern Cascadia (aka Oregon & Washington). The rain/cloudiness here is a factor - but it doesnt slow most of us down too much most of the time! Summers are sunny & warm for weeks on end & you'll see nice days in the middle of winter sometimes too. Some towns to look at include:

OR: Ashland, Medford, Eugene, Corvallis, Portland, Bend, Hood River

WA: Olympia, Bellingham, Port Townsend

Several of those places can be pretty pricey but there are often cheaper parts of town or other cheaper towns nearby.

- Dont discount the east side of OR/WA too quickly! Yes, it is more dry, etc - but there are plenty of forests & other great natural areas. It also tends to be a lot cheaper. While not as vegan-friendly & socially progressive as the west side tends to be - it's still much more so than much of the rest of the country. Plus there are some great towns & the area tends to be far cheaper on average.

- Why not Colorado (or other western mountain states)? There are many great places there too! Smaller towns can often still be pretty affordable.

- Yay for Prescott! Mountain towns in Arizona have a lot to offer. Bisbee & Flagstaff are 2 other great options.

Hope this helps!

I have made a decision against the PNW. I will be moving to the Midwest. In the Midwest I have laid my preference to Wisconsin. But, I have a friend in Ohio that is wanting me as a roommate and would let me stay for free until I was able to find a job. Then there is Michigan; my brother lives there.

• 4 weeks later...

So, I've decided to move back to Michigan. Most likely western or northern (not UP) Michigan. I'm thinking Grand Rapids or one of the surrounding cities such as Muskegon or Grand Haven. Or maybe Traverse City. Not sure. My brother should be happy to see me. ;-p