Animal Rights: getting through to people........

JW

I'm finally ready to step things up a notch re: getting the message out to people

So far, our family's efforts have focused on the church we go to, and on friends & family.

In your opinions, what is the best way to increase the scope of people ?

I could volunteer at a local rescue organization or i could potentially start something on my own. Whichever route....... it would have to be something that makes a difference.

any thoughts?

I have no idea man. The best use of my time seems to be helping people who are directly helping animals, or who have another good cause. People are so reluctant to change how they live, or even change their mind, I don't know how to do it, since calm logical conversation doesn't seem to work with 99.99999999% of people. It's only worked with one person, that's my brother.

There are several ways you can make an impact.

One way is to convince people to reduce their consumption of animal products. Some people aren't going to become vegans. But we shouldn't give up on them completely - if they don't care for animal suffering, maybe they still care about themselves. Work with the health angle and try to suggest that even reducing meat consumption is an investment in their long term health. Every dead meal replaced with a vegetarian meal adds up to a few less slaughters. I know it's hard for us to advocate a compromise, but its better to have people go flexitarian than remain carnies.

From my experience, the best crowd to appreciate the vegan message is the younger crowd. Teenagers are open minded and tend to be less set in their ways. It's a good idea to hit the iron while it is hot and malleable. I became vegan when I was 15 or so, and so did many of my friends. If you have a vegan outreach society or printed materials you can always table at youth events.

The other group that yields potential vegans is pet lovers. If you can get them to consider the connection between their pets and other furry little fellows we condemned to the food category, many of them would be willing to consider your view.

Joining a local animal rights group helps. Donating to animal rights charities helps too. Following the demise of my precious little doggy last month I pledged to donate each month to an animal cause in his name. Organizations such as Sea Shepherd and no-kill shelters need our help.

Sitting at home with my soy ice cream and vegan cook books isn't enough. I gotta get back in the game and push for change.

I'm definitely doing the donations but I just need to SEE results

volunteering will help to a degree but it would be nice to see some real progress.

My wife put on a service at our church last year on animal rights. All these people flocked to her after the service telling her how great it was, how it made them think.

The very next week there was a potluck luncheon.... 95% meat dishes!

The only person to step up was a wonderful woman who at 75yrs old had an epiphany and has been vegetarian ever since.

That is the type of breakthrough needed.

I agree about the younger people being more open.

thanks for your comments guys!

I worked in a turkey factory where they killed and processed the birds. I was the janitor there and even though I never saw a turkey, I cleaned up their blood.. their skins.. their bodyparts.. I couldn't believe how barbaric it was. I had no hesitation becoming a vegan after that.

I think you've gotta be more than one person sometimes. When I'm out in public not being an athlete I'm more than willing to help with almost any PETA campaign or even a more radical group. As a cyclist I'm quite a bit quieter about the AR stuff and I really stress health and performance...and don't really bring up animals much unless I'm asked or we know eachother well.

I have no problem being outspoken about veganism with anyone...but I think different situations call for different types of outreach. Some people don't hear anything unless its thrown in their face...some people need slow influence....while others will never consider eating less meat(when it comes to these people the best you can do is piss them off and ruin their day which is pretty fun sometimes)

One way is to convince people to reduce their consumption of animal products. Some people aren't going to become vegans. But we shouldn't give up on them completely - if they don't care for animal suffering, maybe they still care about themselves. Work with the health angle and try to suggest that even reducing meat consumption is an investment in their long term health. Every dead meal replaced with a vegetarian meal adds up to a few less slaughters. I know it's hard for us to advocate a compromise, but its better to have people go flexitarian than remain carnies.

Good point. In some contexts, I think this is a more effective way to reduce overall animal suffering and environmental impact than and all-or-nothing approach. Some people are just apathetic about animals and the environment. For example, the vast majority of my co-workers. They're not uninformed, they just don't care. They know just enough to know they don't want to know any more. But they DO care about their health, and I've gotten some of them to trade in cow's milk for soymilk and hamburgers for veggie burgers, etc. They're more open to trying those things because I hide my disdain for their meat eating ways. They don't feel that I'm judging them or trying to sell them a vegan lifestyle, which would make most of them run in the other direction.

Some people can be judged into veganism. I've done it on a few occasions. One of the people I did this too hated me to death for it...but now we're friends and she's very active in local organized AR events. She's since thanked me for being so pushy. Of course this doesn't work with everyone...its a very thin line to walk and you've gotta pick your targets carefully.

I enjoy turning non veg*n people onto vegan dishes.

I have introduced several co-workers to falafel. It makes me feel good that they are eating that and not a hamburger or meat sandwich.

even this can have an impact (I know a couple of these people have introduced their families and friends to it also)

It's just tough sometimes because you don't necessarily see the outcome of what you are trying to do.

I think that the best way currently for you to help spread the message is to volunteer for an established activist group. That way you can network and see the scene.

After you do that it will be easier to assess where those groups are perhaps lacking in accordance to your goals, at that point you can start something that would fill in the gap and also will know the right people to go about contacting to help you.

Good luck man.